Item Posts    Sort Order

'55 truck bodywork

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 11/02/12 03:36 AM

The Cobra looking thing is a Factory Five Mk4 roadster (fiberglass Cobra clone), one of two in the shop right now. I believe thats a Jensen Interceptor (British but used Mopar power, has a 440) in the background. Haven't walked up to it and scoped it out yet. I wish y'all could stop by the shop and walk around for a half hour, its pretty interesting at times!  
idrivejunk

68scott385
Posted: 11/02/12 09:42 AM

Iiiiis that an invitation?  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

idrivejunk
Posted: 11/03/12 05:00 AM

Stop on by, Scott!  Cool  Call first and make sure I'm not racing the clock on a project that day please. But hell yeah, I'll show you around. We ain't very big but we always have a variety of jobs going.

I did the final primer deed Friday, got-r-dun. Had to make the decision to leave the doors alone for now though, in order to finish this part. The doors are both blue and have been fixed and primed once, so they won't need much more work but they will probably be primed just like this stuff soon. I elected to take the cab itself as far as I could instead, and sanded out the polyester on the dash, jambs, steps, and upper firewall so I could final prime all that too. My job is to get the difficult areas knocked out and not leave a bunch of loose ends hanging, and I figured if I got the cab nice that would be easiest for the next guy to work on, if I'm not the guy who sands this out.

So I primed the cab, hood, and fenders using DuPont 33430S, two coats:

IMG 9597

IMG 9579

IMG 9590

IMG 9581

IMG 9589

IMG 9594  
idrivejunk

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 11/04/12 04:55 AM

Matt,  NO WAY can anyone Ever say you didn't give them their moneys worth!  

idrivejunk
Posted: 11/06/12 05:08 PM

Thanks, John. I try to give 'em at least what they pay for!  Smile  That way nobody can come back and say I didn't.

If you want a good repair at an honest price, both the customer and the repair guy have to make it hurt just a little. Hard work and a hard bargain. Example below.

Let me git y'all up to date on the ol '55 ... backtrack to last Friday-

I finally ran an honest block over this door first thing. Uh-oh. It really needed filler over the entire "unprimered" area! Boy o boy, I blocked on it for two hours and this is what I ended up priming. There was no labor money left to spend a half day on this thing because that part of it was supposed to be "fine". It will look a lot better than it did when it was blue for sure.

IMG 9609

The other door was nowhere near as problematic, and most of it was already primed and blocked once:

IMG 9611

While I discussed the bad door situation with Gary, it came up that the customer is considering flames. Man thats cool  Cool

Anyway, once I primed them they both looked pretty straight:

IMG 9621

IMG 9619

Also sanded and primed the front bumper filler which Taylor had straightened and primed once- looks OK, it was rough.

IMG 9626

Then today amongst other bare steel things, I epoxy-primed this grille filler. It goes between the hood and grille.

IMG 9678

Also these door latch conversion plates. Thats Matrix black epoxy primer.

IMG 9672

In the peeking department- man, damn! I had no idea any British car had huevos like this. Thats an EFI Mopar 440 with a nasty lope in a really strange looking and tiny car.

IMG 9635

IMG 9630  

IMG 9636  
idrivejunk

76Skylark
Posted: 11/07/12 10:22 AM

yes sir that is a cool collection aka variety.what a Great way to keep a jensen around, bad ass. scott's right about that Stude Avanti silhouette,it's right there. the porsche 911 is a silhoutte of the 53 Stude to me.  

68scott385
Posted: 11/07/12 01:02 PM

thanks for the share Matt

looks a little high in the front

must be the lost weight of the hood  Grin  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

idrivejunk
Posted: 11/07/12 04:49 PM

Yep Avanti was the first word out of my mouth, but with a question mark. It whizzed past a doorway on a trailer when I first saw it. I think the profile is similar to Vettes, 63-7. The tires (tyres, lol) look microscopic to me. It came new with the 440, some were even six-pack in '71. Thats what blew me away, the factory used a real live American muscle engine! I believe this one lost some iron and gained a good bit of aluminum, plus the hood weight. But its a steel car. It has to be a wee bit insane with the pizza cutters and torque monster. I chuckled when I saw a Sony radio box inside, this car needs Jensen stuff, ha. I can dig the Jensen valve covers. Maybe its in for some sort of traction upgrade- I haven't asked. The brown 65 GTO ragtop at the shop is starting to get painted, and most of the other projects are found on road dead stuff right now.

The '55 truck may sit for another week, I don't know at this point. Maybe the bed and/or frame will arrive soon. I have been happily jabbing away at that Ford with an ice pick and sanding away crud, getting ready to epoxy prime the body shell before the lengthy rust fix.  
idrivejunk

76Skylark
Posted: 11/08/12 11:55 AM

over the years a few European cars had American engines.Everyone knows the AC/Bristol body became the Cobra,Sunbeam had a Tiger w/ford 260-289,Facel Vega(French?)used the 392 Hemi,I have a friend with an early 60's Detomaso(153 built)that uses the ford 1800 4cyl, lotus used a twin cam 4 cyl ford and a couple come to mind but can't remember but one used the 426 hemi.  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 11/08/12 02:07 PM

kinda looks like something james bond or austin powers would drive. Grin    definetly something different.

i drove one of those 4 cylinder, lotus espirits years ago.  it was a pretty car but the pedals were so close you had to be wearing cowboy boots.  Grin

when is the truck getting paint Matt?  

idrivejunk
Posted: 11/09/12 01:52 PM

Thats a good question, Joe. I think its gonna be a little while. I asked but the answer was kinda up in the air. Ghost flames are happening though, just don't know when. The truth is the owners may have conflicting priorities. They also have this Model A and its probably more front burner than the truck. So after some touch ups on the green one, then its the brown GTO then the truck, probably. Might be awhile but rest assured I'll keep the thread current here.

I finally got to see their Model A in pics from SEMA. It got five months of my labor, and this is the first I've seen of it finished!

131990 464819313560280 2059494758 O

78239 464819730226905 214635714 O  
idrivejunk

idrivejunk
Posted: 12/06/12 05:23 PM

Finally! Some action on the '55 truck to report, Keith worked on it today. I still have a different big project going.

The poor cab sat long enough to get surrounded- a 66 Thunderbird, 70 Mach1 hood, 65 GTO ragtop frame, A Bronco and an AMX door. Lots of projects, I'll stop yappin!

IMG 0288

We had the front clip stashed to the side. He brought it out and went to work shaving all the holes in the inner fenders:

IMG 0256

The chassis rides low on bags, so these extra clearance cutouts were needed. Here, Keith is flanging the edges of the cutouts for strength and appearance:

IMG 0275

After that, we scooted the cab back on the dolly and stuck the front end on loosely to double-check how they fit the firewall:

IMG 0305

Oh yeah thats the mean ass Corvette truck on the rack (with temp SVT wheels). That one may get some action soon, too.

He welded up some stuff on the core support too, I dig the louvers in it:

IMG 0311

IMG 0314

I just enjoyed seeing it mocked up in final primer (sans doors). Thats my job in the background on the last pic. Big un, love it.  Grin

IMG 0315

IMG 0316

Heres a bonus hot Chevy- I primed and masked this baby earlier in the week. Gary painted the front end and this door. Its a kinda rough car up close:

IMG 0363  
idrivejunk

pepsi1
Posted: 12/06/12 07:16 PM

Matt:
I've been waiting for you to post more pictures.
  I really like that style Chevy Truck. The one I almost bought one about 10 years ago it was a 5 window. It was my color too. Candy Maroon, or Maroon I've always had good luck with cars that were Maroon.
  In Fact if I can ever figure how to put my pictures on I have my 1968 Camaro, that was Ford Royal Maroon. My 1966 ChevyII was the same color Ford Toyal Maroon. That was a 1968 Ford color. I had one of those too. Oh I didn't buy the truck the guy wanted way toooooo much for it. I think he was looking to see what reactions he would get. I told him he was @#$% crazy....

Bob  

idrivejunk
Posted: 12/06/12 07:59 PM

Howdy Bob, heres a pic of my '68 Malibu from when I was 17. First car paint job I was involved with, it was Lucite in Cordovan Maroon (the stock non-metallic color) with black rockers. We added Arctic White stripes and it had the black-n-white interior. 307, 3 on tree. Had like 80 thousand miles on it when a Datsun 510 hit me from the rear. I was sad to see that one go! The cab in the pics is actually a 57 model, the original cab was a 5 window 55 but the owner opted to use this 57 cab because of the rear window. Yes thats an 83 Citation in front of the Malibu!

1968Chevroletmalibuhardtop  
idrivejunk

idrivejunk
Posted: 02/22/13 04:42 PM

Wow, its been quite awhile but I have progress to report again  Laugh

Its good news! The color is Harley Davidson's "Crimson Red Sunglo", which is a "candy" (tinted pearl coat over metallic base) color and guaranteed to do justice on the curves of the '55. I didn't mind that they let me off early today so Ken could spray color on the underside of the cab, in my work area. But that means I didn't get to see any color. Heres a pic after the epoxy primer, seam sealer, and chip resistant coating but before the base color. This has proven to be a great looking solution for underneath bodies- exterior color over this rock guard coating, then semi-gloss clear on top of that. Just right, beats hell outta parts store rattle can undercoating. The exterior should be glorious. Still haven't seen the bed.

IMG 1484 Zps8595cfcc  
idrivejunk

TO TOP