Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

1985 Caprice Classic make a bad noise

Mr.Boyd
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 10/02/12 04:17 PM

Makes a slight noise when engine is turned on but when you park and shut car off makes a rattling sound like a canister is rotating inside.  I was hoping it were the ujoints but im afraid not.  Car drives fine.  No noise while driving.  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 10/02/12 07:07 PM

there just is NOT enough info here to give you any kind of answer...

you could have the radiator fan hitting the fan shroud... either do to a shifted fan shroud.. or broken motor mounts allowing the engine to shift its normal location..

if its only heard inside the car.. perhaps your heater/AC fan motor is failing.. or trash has become lodged in the blower housing....  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 10/02/12 08:50 PM

I agree with Wayne more information.

I'd only guess the rattle is something in the exhaust either hitting the floor, or resonator, or cat falling aparts inside.

I suggest when it's cold crawl under the car and with your hand bang the exhaust, and see if it rattles. You may have a broken hangar, etc.

Bob  

idrivejunk
Posted: 10/03/12 04:59 AM

I'll jump in because it sounds obvious to me. Sure ain't much info to go on though.

This sounds to me like a person who has grown up around fuel injection and never heard one "run-on" or "diesel", trying to describe it. My GUESS:

Did this problem begin since the last time you got gas? It sounds like you have some bad gas or possibly even diesel fuel in the tank. Try shutting off the engine while the gear selector in park and see if that helps. If it does, pump in as much premium gas as you can, to dilute the bad stuff. Beats draining the tank.  
idrivejunk

Dave632
Posted: 10/03/12 07:51 AM

Icon Quoteidrivejunk:
I'll jump in because it sounds obvious to me. Sure ain't much info to go on though.

This sounds to me like a person who has grown up around fuel injection and never heard one "run-on" or "diesel", trying to describe it. My GUESS:

Did this problem begin since the last time you got gas? It sounds like you have some bad gas or possibly even diesel fuel in the tank. Try shutting off the engine while the gear selector in park and see if that helps. If it does, pump in as much premium gas as you can, to dilute the bad stuff. Beats draining the tank.

I agree sounds like run on.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 10/03/12 11:51 AM

but what would make the noise when its first started..???

i agree on the after run.. detonation... run on... what ever one wants to call it..

its almost always caused by the idle speed being TOO FAST..   or the idle stop solenoid not releasing....

one can stop this by leaving the car in drive... foot hard on the brake...  shut the engine off.. the drag from the torque converter and the transmission engaged... could be enough to slow the engine down enough to stop this ..

its better if it runs on..  that the various idle speed controls and the cooling system be checked..

when it wheezes at the end...  its actually SPINNING BACKWARDS... usually quite fast... oh.. and this is now without OIL pressure.. as the pump blows bubbles in the oil pan when the engine does this.. i have seen engines do this wheeze.. and probably turned 50 to 180 turns backwards..  

idrivejunk
Posted: 10/03/12 04:13 PM

I figured when Mr Boyd said  "when the engine is turned on" that he meant "running" rather than "started". And that the "little noise" was unrelated, although if the flexplate was loose and you had the thing trying to run backwards with the key off, now that would make some bad noise! I just noticed that instead of typing "drive" on my previous post, that I wrote "park" instead. My bad, didn't have a chance to correct that until now.  
idrivejunk

pepsi1
Posted: 10/04/12 02:36 AM

Okay Matt show us all up...LOL...

I had many GM company cars over the years. (I put over a Million miles on them)I always opted for the biggest engine available at that time. I racked up between 55,000 and 75,000 miles a year. I had a 1986 Pontiac Paresienne, (OBD1) and it had a Chevy 4BBL:.305 engine. When the engine was shutoff with-out running it would knock on start-up.

The dealer told me that the engines installed in cars produced in Canada where wiping out the front main, and rod bearings. So they replaced the main, and rod bearings. The engine still had a knock on start-up.

The problem was actually (2 Fold)....

1. The front main was over-loaded because by additional pulleys and over tightening the adjusters.

2. They found, that (SOME) engines started to quickly. "The front main and rod bearings are the last to get oil, so it had a bearing knock"...To correct the problem GM installed a 3 to 5 second start/dealy in the ECM. That was it and it took care of the bearing knock problem...

Bob  

idrivejunk
Posted: 10/05/12 02:32 PM

Shoot, man. As if, Bob. Thats an interesting tidbit about the slow oiling. I reckon the old mechanical fuel pumps used to slow things down a little. I think our OP went AWOL!  
idrivejunk

Dave632
Posted: 10/06/12 11:55 AM

I think you are right. They ask a question then never come back to see if there is an answer.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

pepsi1
Posted: 10/06/12 11:23 PM

Dave:

Isn't that a fact. Why ask a question if you don't want to get an answer...

Bob  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 10/07/12 10:12 AM

kinda reminds me of that old comercial on T.V. with all the customers coming in and making the sounds of the problem with theyre cars.    "it goes, vroom-vroom,...knock-knock-knock,....vroom-vroom,....ping, ping, ping."   lol.    anybody remember that?   was it a midas comercial?  

68scott385
Posted: 10/07/12 12:15 PM

Joe, me thinks that was AAMCO transmission, could've just as easily been Midas though.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

TO TOP