Item Posts    Sort Order

summit racing seats

elstroker
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/22/12 07:53 AM

hey guys have any of you installed the summit racing poly seats in your el camino ? i bought some and got them together but bolting them to the car is looking like a challenge since the width is small. its uneven no matter how i put them in there. any advice ?  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 09/22/12 04:30 PM

i havent used them in an el camino, but can you shim them with some washers?   you might need to drill a hole or 2 and through-bolt them in there using the proper amout of washers to shim the seat to your desired position.  gotta be creative.  

idrivejunk
Posted: 09/22/12 06:15 PM

I haven't installed any of them, but ...

They sell a couple kinds of bracket kits for those, cost as much as the seat. Or an adjustable sliding one, for more than the seat cost. Did you get a mounting kit? Usually if mounting bucket seats where a bench was, its necessary to weld a bracket to the reinforced areas of the floor like factory buckets have, and mount the seat bracket to that. Because the seat bolts never line up with the floor bracing. Particularly if racing the car, you will want all your bolts going through thick or double walled steel. Bolts through just the floor pan can yank through the sheetmetal during racy moves and wreck you, so the seat bracket mounts must be tied into the floor crossmembers. Same goes for seatbelt mounting. All that stuff has to be mounted extra sturdy to serve it's purpose safely with your body weight thrown against it at high speed.  
idrivejunk

elstroker
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/24/12 07:11 AM

yeah i was thinking of using washers as shims to set the seats up and also getting a piece of 1/2 inch steel and bolting on the underside of the pan to add that extra strenght for the seats. im gonna be racing the car but mostly driving it around in the street. car will never see past 12.50s with this motor i have set up.  

pepsi1
Posted: 09/25/12 02:28 PM

Absolutly I agree with Matt (Idrivejunk)

You should have bought the kits that go with the seats. I did a set in my friends 53 Chevy cruiser and didn't have a problem. He purchased his from Jeg's same difference....

Bob  

Dave632
Posted: 09/27/12 05:34 PM

Yes, there is a kit that is available where you can adjust the seat height independently on each side.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

pepsi1
Posted: 09/30/12 03:28 AM

Dave632:

Check this out on Racing Junk. #2720728 Grin  Cool

Bob  

Dave632
Posted: 09/30/12 08:06 PM

I checked that out Bob.
That's nice but I would run a whole lot faster for 26,000, probably about 5 seconds quicker than that.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

pepsi1
Posted: 09/30/12 11:34 PM

Dave:

It was just a goof, if maybe $12,000 and that's a little high. There are a lot nicer Drag cars for $10K to $12K.

If I had the time I would put a stocker together. My grandaughter wants my 1979 Z28. She just started college. I told her if she got good grades through college we would talk about it then. So I hope she beats me up on that agreement.

Bob  

TO TOP