Item Posts    Sort Order

1976 Corvette Stingray

SuperSonoma
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/28/12 07:24 PM

I have a 1976 Corvette Stingray I need to work out a few problems on, the main problem I am having is the fact that the gauges are not working. none were working so i checked the fuse, it was blown, i replaced it now and i have the battery gauge working and that is all, what is going on with the rest of my gauges. Confused  
1992 Toyota Pick-Up Extended Cab- 4.3 TBI Chevy Motor, 350 Turbo Tranny, and Toyota T/C (Nasty Combination)
1991 GMC Sonoma- 4.3 Motor, 700R4 Tranny, and Stock T/C

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 06/28/12 07:58 PM

which gauges do you have..

tests are simple...    under the hood... next to the distributer... a Blue wire on the oil pressure sender...  pull it off...   oil pressure switch swing all the way one direction.. yes or no..

touch the end of the blue wire to ground.. the gauge should go the other direction... both of these are with the key on..    ground test is only for 10 seconds..  perhaps 15 seconds..

does the temp gauge move all the way the other direction. yes or no..

if NO. then there are other issues...

on the drivers side of the engine...  between the #1 and #3 spark plug is the engine temp sender.. disconnect that Single GREEN wire..    does the gauge go one direction when you disconnect...    then the other way when you ground that wire...   yes or NO...

which gauges are in the center cluster...

usually oil pressure.. water temp

voltage or amperage  and fuel level..

in some kind of order...

if grounding the green or the blue wire at the engine does not make the gauge move.. there are a LOT more tests..

please describe or post an image of your cluster..  

SuperSonoma
Posted: 06/28/12 08:41 PM

Center Cluster

oil pressure
water temp
voltage (maybe amperage cant remember check tomorrow)
fuel level
clock

I didnt pay attention to whether or not clock was working.
The tach is not working.

Is there a reason they would all be out at once?  
1992 Toyota Pick-Up Extended Cab- 4.3 TBI Chevy Motor, 350 Turbo Tranny, and Toyota T/C (Nasty Combination)

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 06/28/12 09:03 PM

probably a bad ground ....

there are 2 separate grounds at the console gauge cluster.   you might want to Print this console cluster diagram and use colored highlighter markers to color the image..

77 Corvette Console Gauges Colorized

i took some time and labeled the diagram.. might make it easier to figure out..

you could have a bad Ignition switch...  as that would cut off most of the power to the various gauges...  that does happen...

Ls309ignitionswitchpinout

its going to take me a while to figure out the speedo cluster wiring.  

SuperSonoma
Posted: 06/28/12 09:11 PM

not sure if that is my dash this is my dash check link if you dont mind

http://www.corvettepartsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/c3-corvette-radio.jpg

i dont really have a cluster  

SuperSonoma
Posted: 06/28/12 09:20 PM

a better link

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=1976+CORVETTE+GAUGES&hl=en&sa=G&biw=1600&bih=752&tbm=isch&tbnid=-D28PtjXiRMUxM:&imgrefurl=http://www.hobbycarcorvettes.net/1976_silver_corvette.html&docid=rjEDuPPb6rG14M&imgurl=http://ecbiz55.inmotionhosting.com/~hobbyc5/pictures/1976-silver-corvette/P1100446(1).JPG&w=640&h=480&ei=4zbtT8TPOuH30gHEidjCDQ&zoom=1

not sure how to post a pic  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 06/28/12 10:11 PM

the back of the speedo...

77 Corvettespeedocolor

the pink and black wire get power from the 3rd fuse to the right of the row of 3

there are 3 rows of fuses.
3 in a row
5 in a row..  the top right..

do the Hazard flashers work... does the Horn work.. they are powered off that same fuse..

please use a test light on both ends of the fuse... should light up on both end of the fuse.. then check the fuse holder terminals ... that you get power on both .. all three of the top row come get power from the same source...

if you DON'T get power with a circuit tester on the ROW of Three fuses with the KEY ON..... then you probably have a bad ignition switch .. please post your results...  

SuperSonoma
Posted: 06/28/12 10:28 PM

thanks for the info i will be checking it in a few hours when th sun comes up. i cant sleep till i get this thing fixed its annoying me lol. i will post the results but i gotta ask you where do you get all your info you are like a walking chevy info book.  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 06/28/12 11:19 PM

just experience... and enough scrounging on the net...  filling hard drive after hard drive.. and having a nice shelf full of various service books...

also having 30 years of mostly professional automotive repair experience.. after a year full time in trade school for automotive..  taught by a pair of 200 MPH club members .. reading everything i can get my hands on.. and just being lucky enough to be able to understand how things work mostly by looking at them and a wiring diagram..  

SuperSonoma
Posted: 06/28/12 11:46 PM

yea i can figure out how things work to but wow it makes it so much easier on forums it really narrows down the testing as for the experience i am still on the learning curve being younger but i soak in things pretty quickly and pick up fast my biggest learing curve is knowing the newer stuff then learning the older stuff kinda backwards from the way it is suppose to be but i think the never ending learning of automotive is what keeps me attracted to it you have never seen it all you know

plus being taught from 2 200 mph club members is a pretty nice thing thanks for all the help eliminates a lot of my trial and error  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 06/29/12 08:35 AM

it was neat.. they were both smart guys..  great teachers..  i think that one of them is making the rounds with his former front engine top fuel car that somebody restored..  

TO TOP