Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Chevy 350 Stand Start problem

wdellanoce
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/15/12 09:49 AM

Hey everyone, I'm new here and I need some help. In my garage, I have a Chevy 350 small block. When the plugs are out, the motor will constantly crank again and again with no problems. However, when everything is buttoned up, it tries and fails miserably. My father who is 70 years old has been helping me but he's beginning to lose his ideas on what to do. We have been trying to start it by putting a jumper from the power to the distributor, and using a screwdriver to arch power from the 2 prongs on the starter. As I said, with no plugs it cranks fine. But doesn't when everything is in. Im trying to get it to at least fire so I can sell it due to financial problems, and no one wants to buy a non starting engine. So please, anyone have ideas that can help me? Or maybe want a 350 motor with less then 50k miles???  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 08/15/12 11:38 AM

have you tried playing with the timing?  could be too far advanced?  

wdellanoce
Posted: 08/15/12 02:16 PM

How can I check timing if it doesn't fully crank?  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 08/15/12 02:28 PM

run a proper ground side battery cable from the block to the NEGATIVE battery post..

just bolt it on someplace on the block.. so you have a good ground to supply electrons..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rig a test lead off the ignition positive.. i am taking its an HEI distributer..  so that would be the HEI BAT connector..

it takes a  1/4" female quick connect to hook up to the HEI....

that goes to the positive battery with a clip or clamp so you can yank it off...

the positive battery cable hooks up to the  top post on the starter... .. i normally have a remote starter switch.. to do the cranking.. but you can just use a wire or your screw driver..

you can use a pointy tipped squeeze bottle  to pour some fuel into the float bowl....

this will give you enough to start the engine..

by the way... is the timing set???    move the timing mark on the damper to the 6 or 8 before position.. pull the distributer cap...  do the tips of the reluctor line up with the tips of the pick up coil??? is the rotor pointing toward the #1 or the #6 spark plug wire position in the cap...

then it should start...    don't be scared if the rotor is not pointing toward the number one position..  the crank turns twice to one of the distributer..  so when the timing mark is up.. the rotor can be pointing at either 1 or 6 ...

i fired up my bosses stroker i had just patched together..  aimed the shorty headers at the open door of the car he was sleeping in...   he bounced off the headliner arms flailing all over the place.. thought the world had come to an end...   so sorry boss.. i though you were up and wanted to hear it...  

wdellanoce
Posted: 08/15/12 02:42 PM

thanks for the great post. After talking to my dad about it, he says we have tried that. Can compression cause this kind of problem? With the plugs and wires in, it will click and the flywheel will spin very little. Its almost like where the flywheel is attached is too tight. If you know what I mean.  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 08/16/12 03:41 PM

use a test light between the center of the battery negative terminal and the block...   while somebody else attempts to crank the engine.. the test light should NOT light up...

use the test light between the top post on the starter solenoid... and the center of the positive battery post.. while somebody attempts to crank the engine..   the test light should NOT light up..

if it lights up at either place.. you have a connection issue...  and you have identified the problem..

cranking is different than the engine running..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

stick a 5/8 six point socket on a breaker bar and turn the crank... does it turn easy???  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 08/17/12 04:33 AM

Sounds like you just don't have enough power coming from the battery.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

redneckjoe69
Posted: 08/17/12 04:54 AM

those are some good suggestions Wayne and Pman about good conections, good battery, and does the motor even spin with a breaker bar?  if its a clicking sound, could be a bad solenoid.  any progress or luck yet?  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 08/17/12 02:36 PM

He said in his original post that the engines cranks and cranks with the plugs out but just wont with the plugs in.
Still sounds like the battery is to weak to me.

I always hook a battery charger to my battery when starting engines on a stand.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 08/17/12 02:50 PM

so like Joe and P2 say test the battery "cause if it shows 12 volts it isn't fully charged and if 11 V. it could have a dead cell.  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 08/18/12 05:08 AM

yea, i leave a charger on also.  be careful not to flip your stand when it starts.  heres one running on a stand but we had a hoist as a back-up.Th 0902112020  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 08/18/12 06:34 AM

Not bad Joe.
I use a hoist as back up as well.

Th MOV04189  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 08/18/12 09:49 AM

quick reving the engine on the engine stand can cause it to rotate on the stand... tossing the whole stand over as it rotates off center... a great use for the cherry picker or engine hoist..to keep it from rocking over..

i forgot to mention. that one can also install chains from the lower arms of the head of the engine stand to the outer legs...  to counter act the torque and stop the engine from spinning on the mounting tube..

perhaps i just have more odd stuff i can do things with in my tool boxes..  

wrench60
Posted: 11/02/12 05:09 AM

are you still having a problem with very little crank with plugs in i am having same issue it is hard to turn by hand but take plugs out turns ok if you found solution please advise  

skyeking
Posted: 11/02/12 02:54 PM

Hi Poncho man,
Howzit going with you and old rusty balls???...

Just a quick off topic ???..
Can the ZZ4 163 small valve motor be improved
to 180 on the intake without any real hassle??.  
skyeking

TO TOP