Item Posts    Sort Order

Chevelle suspension

Grug383
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/31/12 06:48 PM

Hi! I'm a suscriber of chevy hp since many years but i'm new to the forum. I've changed suspension components last years and don't like it. It consist of eibach 1.3" drop coil springs, classic bilstein shocks from CCP and 1 1/4" UMI front sway bar and 1" rear sway bar. I really don't like the way my car act. It handle great on great road surfaces but when it's bumpy, it's bouncing. If I'm hitting the throttle the car is bouncing so bad, I have to realease the throttle 'cause I'm taking nearly all the road. My car is a '70. Can you hel me please!!  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 06/01/12 03:55 AM

you didn't say if it is the front or rear that bounces but with a 1" bar in back that is where the problem exists I would think.have you changed the rear control arms yet?.a rear sway bar is great for a car that handles the curves by allowing the rear to be loose and helping the pushing front.but these things allow the rear to tramp around on a rough surface.First I would disconnect one side to see if it helps.a smaller rear bar may be necessary because  you need a compromise,Pro touring cars are not set up to drag and vice versa.If it is your daily driver you may need to decide which style you want but if it is a weekend car.you can change it around from drag to Handler depending on what's up.  

zman123
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 06/01/12 09:06 AM

I have a 69 Malibu that I built from the ground up. If you want a 1970 to drive and handle like a new car you have to put new suspension components in , not just springs. 42 year old bushings have worn, stock A arms and trailing arms were never meant to handle like you want, they flex under load. I replaced everything with aftermarket stuff and it drives like a Corvette now. A arms, trailing arms, upper trailing arms bushings sway bars etc. you get the picture. I won't recommend manufacturers, most all of them are very good. the main thing is that everything was designed to work better than stock, not flex or bend. Save your money and change out the stock parts as you can afford them and you won't be dissapointed.  

Grug383
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/01/12 01:11 PM

I don't want to handle like a corvette, I wanted a less boat car but now it's too stiff. I'm rolling around town and just a small bump makes the car to rebound.
My guess is the springs are too stiff. The new spring with my old worn sensatrac was terrible, when I received my bilstein it was better but not what I wanted. I did'nt keep my old springs, damn!  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 06/01/12 03:17 PM

All is NOT Lost, the sway bar is a spring all by Itself,if you go to a smaller diameter it will free you up a bit even elimnate the rear bar if you must.like Z said you really need new bushings at all points.especilly if you want to emulate a factory ride.  

TO TOP