Item Posts    Sort Order

What is needed for GM 350 385 Fast Burn in a 1978 Vet

RickHawrylak
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/19/12 06:06 AM

I have a 1078 Vet and want to replace the old 350 with a new GM 350 385HP Fast Burn and replace the 350 3 speed ator with a 700R4 4 speed auto. I believe the Hood will need to be repalce because of the clearance unless I can find a cold air system that can be added or modified to allow for a low clerarance between the hood and the carb. I am not sure but the serintean belt system uses I believe a 8" dia pulley on the crank and not sure if it will clear. I also plan on replacing the radiator and using a electric fan. I wanted to see if anyone has more details on what I will need to get and shifter linkage to replace the old 3 speed to the new 4 speed auto is a must.  

RickHawrylak
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/19/12 06:07 AM

Correction: I have a 1978 vet.  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/19/12 11:54 AM

there are are reverse rotation fans and fan clutches available... so you can keep the belt driven fan...

you can also buy the fast burn 385 as a partial without the carb and without the accessories on the front .. so you can use your existing V belt drive.. but there may be an issue with some of the brackets that mount to the conventional intake bolt pattern.. as there is nothing to attach them to with the vortec intake..

the heads use the 4 bolt Vortec intake bolt pattern..  i did see a mention of using the slightly shorter  duel plane intake but you loose 16 to 20 HP..  

i have not found the carb mounting height on the GMPP intakes..

there was some talk around the corvette fever forums here a while back.. about using one of the drop center air filters and getting away with close clearances..

other people have gone to a SECOND hood..  so your original remains undamaged..  looking got an L88 hood type.. good paint shops can paint to match the car after trial fitting..  and paint it off the car..   while you are swapping the engine stuff around since it will be off already..

one thing..   please.. before you install the new motor...   take a 10MM x 1.5 bolt and go around to each of the bolt holes around the engine and heads... as you will have to make sure that you have the proper bolts...  there are variations on what year fit what..  
this bolt hole inspection also needs to include the bellhousing flange.. and the starter mounting bolts.. 82 up used 10MM metric bolts instead of 3/8-16... this creates several issues that can be easily fixed before installation.. by selecting the proper starter and bolts to match the block..

i am NOT trying to talk you out of this swap... i am only letting  you know up front there are several differences between the various version of small block chevys..

a lot of C3 owners have also bypassed the second generation small blocks and dove headfirst into one of the LS motors..  and gotten a lot more power ..  there are articles spread out on this  swap and getting a lot of power from various LS1 and some other LS motors.. with a carbed intake..  

TO TOP