Item Posts    Sort Order

1985 z28 383stroker????? 350heads swap and victor E intake(wont run)??

Helrasr25
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/27/12 09:57 PM

i recently bought aa beautiful 85 camaro with a fresh 383 250 miles give or take it had a holley 650 carb a comp cams mother thumper cam and long tubes backed up with a tremec t5 and 373 strait cut gears out back
it found out shortly later he was using the stock 305 heads and the lift on the cam was too much for the valve springs so i swapped the heads out for some i pulled off of a 92 tpi motor and swapped the plain jane intake manifold for edelbrocks victor E manifold after setting the timing out and tunin the carb the best i can i cant for the life of me get it to stay running it fires and will stayt running if i feather the throttle but every 10-20 rotations or so itll backfire and die if i havent let it already
it also has an msd blaster 2 coil and msd 6 series ignition and theres an in line fuel pressure regulator that i had set at about 5 1/2 lbs but that was just where i had hear it was supposed to be
im in no way a professional but i know my way in and around a car i just dont have the carburetor knowledge to tune it and get it runnin or if i have a greater issue that im unaware of????

thanks Clay  

ethelkilledfred-#001
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/02/12 09:10 AM

Icon QuoteHelrasr25:
i recently bought aa beautiful 85 camaro with a fresh 383 250 miles give or take it had a holley 650 carb a comp cams mother thumper cam and long tubes backed up with a tremec t5 and 373 strait cut gears out back
it found out shortly later he was using the stock 305 heads and the lift on the cam was too much for the valve springs so i swapped the heads out for some i pulled off of a 92 tpi motor and swapped the plain jane intake manifold for edelbrocks victor E manifold after setting the timing out and tunin the carb the best i can i cant for the life of me get it to stay running it fires and will stayt running if i feather the throttle but every 10-20 rotations or so itll backfire and die if i havent let it already
it also has an msd blaster 2 coil and msd 6 series ignition and theres an in line fuel pressure regulator that i had set at about 5 1/2 lbs but that was just where i had hear it was supposed to be
im in no way a professional but i know my way in and around a car i just dont have the carburetor knowledge to tune it and get it runnin or if i have a greater issue that im unaware of????

thanks Clay

My guesss would be a vacuum leak. Have you checked for vacuum leaks?  
-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/02/12 12:58 PM

A vacuum leak is a possibility. I would also look at the ignition timing, you could be off a tooth and it would still run but not very well.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

Helrasr25
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/03/12 07:06 AM

It could be a vacuum leak the victor intake didn't have one of the vacuum lines but it looked like it es from the air conditioner and I don't use it anyway so I deleted it
As further ignition timing it could be off a tooth but I tries to pop up the distributor and rotate it back one tooth but it won't drop back in all the way it only drops all te way in at what appears to me to be a few degrees before number one or completely 180 out  I can't go toothe by tooth  

TO TOP