Item Posts    Sort Order

How much Paint???

littlemanmays
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/25/12 03:48 AM

Hey everyone whats up got a dumb question kinda??? I got an 1986 C10 Long bed and I know there is a conversion some how to figure up how much paint it takes but IDK what it is....Im wonder how much paint will it take to paint it??? My color Im looking at is House of Kolors Brandywine Candy.....anyone with some answers and advice would be ver appriciative!!!!! would like to know about base and clear too!!!  

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 02/25/12 07:30 AM

How much of the truck are you painting? Jambs, interior, underneath, inside the bed, backside of hood and fenders?  
idrivejunk

littlemanmays
Posted: 02/25/12 09:19 AM

everything except under it  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 02/25/12 09:40 AM

Man,that sounds like a beautiful color, my fav.has always been the Old LaFrance"Fire Engine Red" you would prob.have to be 50 years old to have even seen it. I know Idj will give you the correct amounts,all I can say is H O C is VERY proud of their Paint.Have you been to the Bank yet,Several of my Friends have used there product but they don't drive those cars around often.  

idrivejunk
Posted: 02/25/12 10:53 AM

littlemanmays-

Before I get into even trying to calculate the answer to this simple-sounding question, I'd like to see if you know what you're asking. Don't take that wrong, I just gotta know you understand, because it is very unusual for anyone to want to make such an investment on a longbed pickup. As Skylark pointed out, you are talking about a giant paint bill. Because-

If I understand the question correctly, the color you want is HOK Brandywine. Well ... thats a translucent product, a tinted clear that must have a base color such as silver, gold, or black (yes that affects the brandywine color, too). So you'll want to apply sealer first, then base color, then around six coats of brandywine, then clearcoat. The sealer can be used as the base but metallic bases look much brighter.

Right off the top of my head, I'd want two gallons of sealer, two gallons of base color, three gallons of brandywine, two or three gallons of clear, then hardener and reducer for all that. Theres no room for error when spraying a job like this (sure as heck don't want to run out of anything during the paint job), and even great painters have to concentrate and work carefully to produce professional results with these type colors. Mistakes and damage cannot be easily repaired. I would suggest picking a regular base/clear color unless money is no issue and you have a really good painter with a good facility and plenty of time to spray all that.  
idrivejunk

tuffnuff
Posted: 02/25/12 11:46 AM

+1 Matt
Candy colors are easy enough to apply, BUT, getting a consistent shade in all areas, is a real trick.
Surfaces that get any extra color will darken the tone, as will applying the paint in a parallel spray pattern, with out criss cross spraying.
I would suggest getting a pro involved, unless you've done this before.
Tinted pearlescents are the same and getting a color/tone match for any body damage, down the road.,. is near impossible.
At least for me it was/is.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

idrivejunk
Posted: 02/25/12 01:02 PM

Yep Peter, the consistent tone comes from lots of transparency and lots of coats, along with precise overlap and everything else. Manufacturers even suggest walking the entire length of the car with each pass. But since many cars have had tri-coat paint jobs from the factory for over a decade now, the spot repairs and butt matches have become more commonplace, as has the skill to do them. I did a ton of them in collision repair shops and the challenge is large on any tri-coat job. Actually did spot repair a "Radiance" job on a vette with a hunk of door missing once, and by painting the whole side of the car I was able to achieve an acceptable repair.

There will never be an equal to the candy effect of three paint layers, but some of the modern OE or custom mixed regular basecoat colors that are heavy on mica pigments sure do give a custom look, without all the application woes and added expense. That brandywine sure does look badass though. On a LWB C10, that color would really jump out across the street at you!  
idrivejunk

littlemanmays
Posted: 02/26/12 01:21 AM

well I will have a paint and body shop doing the painting....just wondering about how much it will take I know HOK is pretty expensive....but I have yet to find any other company that does a similar color....any suggestions??? why cant it just be an easy factory color haha.....  

idrivejunk
Posted: 02/26/12 07:20 AM

You may be able to imitate that color with another brand but it would still be a three-stage paint job. Re-read my post, I DID say how much paint I think it will take. I even checked with another painter to be sure I wasn't suggesting too much.  I recommend this- ask your paint and body shop if they offer any special colors. They may have samples of some "non-OEM" colors that are pretty cool and are regular basecoat. Go ahead and figure up the money using the products and amounts that I listed and see where you're at on dollars for a tri-coat job, then you'll know whether you're beyond your means or not.  
idrivejunk

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 02/26/12 07:33 AM

well It kinda can be as easy,Honda/Acrua,has a deep dark burgandy that has a hint of Metallic,the less the better to me,and even ford has some,look around the carlots and compaire some reds and look at the european reds the SUV's have large area's on them so you can really get a good look "cause what looks good in small area's may not be the same down the side of a truck".  

freddiejip
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/06/12 04:30 PM

Never painted the candy colors yet. I have always used the rule one gallon of paint for an overall and one gallon of clear. I offer PPG paints and its a 1:1 mix ratio on the color so essentially you are getting 2 gallons of sprayable material. The clear is a 2:1 mix and if its not a two tone, 3 coats usually do. This is in a basic base/clear paint . As mentioned the  sealers really help to save time getting the base color right.  

TO TOP