Item Posts    Sort Order

NEED HELP BAD

bins68
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/24/12 05:07 PM

I HAVE A 68 SS THAT JUMPED TIME. ITS BEEN SITTING UP ABOUT FOUR MONTHS AND I FINALLY GOT TIME TO SET THE TIMING. MY PROBLEM IS SHE IDELS GOOD AND STARTS OFF GREAT BUT WHEN U ACCELERATE PAST TWENTY MPH IT MISSES OUT REALLY BAD. ALSO IVE TRIED SETTING AIR GAS MIXTURE ON THE CARB THINKIN IT WOULD HELP BUT NO LUCK.ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/24/12 09:09 PM

bin68

If it junped time how could you time the engine?

Heres what you need to do disable the ignition remove the coil wire..
Remove #1 spark plug have a helper tap the starter until#1 cylinder pops your finger off the hole...

Now look to see where your timing mark is. You should at Zero at TDC..
Now remove the distributor cap and look to see if the rotor cap is pointing to #1 cylinder...If not your going to have to unvestagate where your problem is...If any of those thing don't line up...try rotating the engine by hand an watch the rotor cap moves in relatioship to your moving the engine by hand...

You said the engine sat for 4 months...The valves could be stuck in the head..Hanging up and not seating properly

The carb could have a bunch of crap it in also from sitting..

It could be Bad Gas from sitting...
Bob  

pepsi1
Posted: 04/25/12 02:16 AM

Icon Quotepepsi1:
bin68

If it junped time how could you time the engine?

Heres what you need to do disable the ignition remove the coil wire..
Remove #1 spark plug have a helper tap the starter until#1 cylinder pops your finger off the hole...

Now look to see where your timing mark is. You should at Zero at TDC..
Now remove the distributor cap and look to see if the rotor cap is pointing to #1 cylinder...If not your going to have to unvestagate where your problem is...If any of those thing don't line up...try rotating the engine by hand an watch the rotor cap moves in relatioship to your moving the engine by hand...

You said the engine sat for 4 months...The valves could be stuck in the head..Hanging up and not seating properly

The carb could have a bunch of crap it in also from sitting..

It could be Bad Gas from sitting...
Bob

If the timing chain stretched it would not be close on the timimg mark to rotor location under the distributor cap... Grin  Cool  

tuffnuff
Posted: 04/25/12 02:23 AM

Good morning Bob.,. you're up early.
Here is a way to check for chain stretch.,. pull all the plugs and the distributor cap, so the engine turns easier by hand.
Put a wrench on the damper bolt and turn it in one direction until the rotor moves.,. now turn in the opposite direction, until the rotor moves,,,,,,,,,,
IF, it's a considerable amount that the crank can be rotated, before the rotor moves.,. then the chain is stretched.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

Pontiacman2
Posted: 04/25/12 05:26 AM

Morning guy's.

+1 tuff, good tip.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

Dave632
Posted: 04/25/12 11:56 PM

Icon Quotetuffnuff:
Good morning Bob.,. you're up early.
Here is a way to check for chain stretch.,. pull all the plugs and the distributor cap, so the engine turns easier by hand.
Put a wrench on the damper bolt and turn it in one direction until the rotor moves.,. now turn in the opposite direction, until the rotor moves,,,,,,,,,,
IF, it's a considerable amount that the crank can be rotated, before the rotor moves.,. then the chain is stretched.

Smile

Thats a good check and quite logical.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

pepsi1
Posted: 04/26/12 03:50 AM

Hi Tuffnuff Pontiacman2 and Dave 632...

Yeah don't sleep much anymore? Thanks for pulling my arz out of the fire I have a Nurse that puts out those pharamones and smells so nice all the time and its not she's not a phoney...I must have been distracted..ARRGG! If I was 20 years younger..

I can't wait to get out of the Bizzarro World..I don't know how long I've been in here..Everything back seems to be a blurr except this one nusre...
Thanks
Bob  

TO TOP