Item Posts    Sort Order

Ballast Resiter, Where

sscardino
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/30/11 06:25 PM

I have a 1968 Chevy 327 with a distributor & dual points. I'm told I should check the Ballast Resistor. I can't find it on or near the distributor or coil, including firewall. I looked every where I could see in the eng. compartment.

Do I need a Ballast Resistor?  Confused

Cool
Steve  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/30/11 08:05 PM

on the positive side of the coil..  you will find TWO wires...

one with conventional insulation.. smooth plastic.

the other will be a light yellow and have a woven fiberglass insulation.. that is the resistor wire..

oh... the ballast resistor wire is usually embedded in the harness.. and the resistor section on a GM is only from the bulk head connector to the coil positive...  this reduces the voltage to prevent the burning out of the points...

during cranking.. the second wire to the coil positive is either hooked to the R terminal on the starter solenoid or to the IGN2 position of the ignition switch.. so the coil gets full voltage while cranking..  this creates a hotter spark for starting..

oh... i guess that you know to use something to hold one of the points sets open to adjust or check the dwell in the other set..  

idrivejunk
Posted: 12/31/11 07:31 AM

LOL- This happens every time a MOPAR guy looks at a Chevy... "Hey you need to be running a ballast resistor on that!"

+1 Wayne  Smile  
idrivejunk

sscardino
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/02/12 03:50 PM

Thanks, I'll follow up on that. Yep Confused I still have that mopar thing going on Grin  

pepsi1
Posted: 01/03/12 01:51 AM

It's possible someone removed the resistor,unless it was bad I don't
know why they would remove it.......

The old point distributors on Chevy's ran a ballast resistor.
As with a Mopar GM usually mounted it to the firewall close to the distributor. If you read what Wayne is talking about is a resistor wire they both serve the same purpose.

The Ballsast resistor is obvious its close to the distributor and looks exactly like the Mopar Ballast resistor usually white and approx. 4" to 5" long wire on either end. Sometime they crack and you don't know it and it can make the engine surge and buck and then run ok and Blah blah blah then run crappy. Also use points prematurely.

Sometime they will crack on the back side so you need to remove it to see if it is broken. They usually have the resistence marked on them. To find out if the ballast resistor is the problem you can jump across the resistor.Don't leave it there just to prove if the resistor is good or no good.

The resistor is there to drop the generator (older GMs) or alternator voltage (for example)if the voltage is 14.9 VDC the resistor will drop the voltage to 10 VDC and that is to keep the points from prematurely burning out!

The other 2 things to check the wire from the distributor is connected to the NEG. side of the coil.

If you have a Dual point distributor, to set each set of points place a buseness card between the points, and set the second set in the same way. The point Dwell on V8 Chevys 28 to 32 degrees. Good Luck
Thanks
Bob  

pepsi1
Posted: 01/03/12 01:55 AM

Hi Steve

Is there a problem with the distributor? Grin  Cool
Thanks
Bob  

TO TOP