Item Posts    Sort Order

66 Drivers door stuck

Chazzei1
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/29/11 11:37 AM

Hello, and hope to get some help on my stuck 66 El Camino drivers door. I put new strikers, got them to allow the doors to look aligned, and open easy. Then a few days later the drivers would not open ...After some different types of attemps, it opened. I re-adjusted the striker out a bit, and the door still looked aligned, and worked great!....A few days passed, and the darn thing was stuck closed again.....I have tried for 2 days now different things, lube everywhere, up and down with the lock, push in, then pull out, lift, pull, pry a bit, hate that one...but still no open door....your help, ideas, or prayers are appreciated, Thanks Charlie..... Laugh  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/29/11 04:31 PM

0900C15280051b33

i have a question.. it is hanging up on the striker pin????

or is it failing to have the handles release fully to allow the door lock to UNLOCK so the handles become active..

let me describe the possible problem...

have you ever had your door locked..   and have someone try to UNLOCK the door while  you are holding the handle up.. or pushing the open button in..   the LOCKING function WILL NOT release.. allowing the handles to open the door..

looking at the diagram... rods #4 and 8 can be adjusted WRONG or get bent where they don't let the latch levers fall back to ZERO position to allow the unlocking device to unlock allowing the door to operate in a normal function..

on your elcamino.. i don't think that rod 4 exists.. i think there is a paddle that is pushed by the back of the button somehow..  

so... see if the locking knob moves up and down as normal... or is it  a partial movement..  that is almost full..  

waynep7122
Posted: 12/29/11 04:39 PM

this is a better image of what you have in your 66 el camino..

0900C15280082270

check that the lever on the relay shaft #6 is fully seated and not hanging up...

check to see that plunger on part #11 is freely staying out. and that the spring is fully returning it.. and that the plunger is NOT holding the TAB/FLAG/LEVER at the top of the door latch...  

Chazzei1
Posted: 12/29/11 05:21 PM

You are Great!......Getting this information you just sent will help....I know that besides both strikers replaced just a week ago gave me better opening and closing operation by miles....but I did loose the window out of it's bottom, and side track.....I would think, this is the cause of the problem...So I have pulled both fuzzys, window rear run, and lifted the window out....I now have some room, and I can see the operation.....Looking at both operating sides, I see no difference.....I would pull the inside door panel off, but this car I just purchased, has alumnium sheeting, and I will have to butcher it to get the clearance I need to take it off....I did have this door jam a couple of days after the install of strikers, but I got lucky, must have held my tounge just right, it did finally open. So I re-adjusted the striker a bit, and operation was super sweet, but I still had this window off the track at this time. A few days of work, in and out of the car, darn, it happened again....this time no luck yet....Charlie  

waynep7122
Posted: 12/29/11 07:06 PM

do you still have a door lock button sticking out the top of the door???  work it up and down while you are pushing and releasing the outer door opening button..       work the door lock button up and down while lifting and releasing the inner door open handle...

if you feel the lock button move farther.. you will find the door opens...

unless you have caught the latch on the striker.. or had the striker POSSIBLY mis adjusted that it went in SO deep into the latch that it jammed it..    there are 2 normal positions on the door lock...    safety.. and closed.. sometimes you can jam it in so deep that it goes PAST the closed step on the latch lever..

like i posted in the other thread..  pick up some full length pieces of 3/16 welding rod..   bend the LAST half inch into a L shape..   go to work in the door with a wedge between the window and the outer felt..   try to not drive it really deep... you can bend the outer door skin..

i was surfing around on this issue.. later model fixes require a spring at a 45 degree angle to keep the inside door rod lever fully seated to prevent it from blocking the UNLOCKing of the latch...  

you can also measure the stroke of the door lock button on the door that works..

bet you find the stuck door does not unlock as far.. ...  

as you can tell .. i have been there and done this TOO Many times on various cars..  

my old beat up ranchero had so much metal fatigue in the door that the latch fell in..  when i fixed it .. it broke again.. this time taking sheet metal with it..  i finally used a big scrap of sheet steel to rebuild that section..   then somebody doing a three point turn mashed my door in ever so slightly..  and my cousin had parked my ranchero on a fairly steep hill with the wheels cut in properly..  but it was next to a big phone box so there was NO way to get through the door on the right..   no way to get the left door open..   impossible to jack it up as it would not roll.. i was going to use my AAA to get it moved.. but that had expired..  i ended up with a 3 inch wide sharp, jack hammer tool..  and my 3 pound hammer and carved the door side open to allow me in..  i was able to get it open then..  eventally i got a replacement door.. a really perfect one.. that matched the paint on the truck.. except the wood trim holes..  that were all open.. within a week.. somebody NAILED that door also..

you do always have the choice.. of standing way far back.. and seeing if you can duplicate this shot...

Beercanvalvestemtest  

Chazzei1
Posted: 12/29/11 09:09 PM

you have something there.....if rods 4 and 8 are causing a problem, when I lost the window between these 2 rods,  or guides.....they most likely were pushed around  

Chazzei1
Posted: 12/29/11 09:15 PM

...not sure how to check if the door is hanging up on the striker pin ... I know when this door got stuck the first time, just a couple of days after the new strikers were installed, I re-adjusted the striker a bit, might have not tightened it up as it needed to be.....my thought was the striker was pushed in on one of the times the door was closed...but then I also realized the window loose inside the door must have been the, or a factor ....  

waynep7122
Posted: 12/30/11 09:27 AM

it just came to me...     Feel the force Luke..       depress the plunger on the door that opens..    feel the force it takes..    walk to the other door that is stuck..  feel the force it takes..   if it feels different..  less force.. less motion..  the latch is probably latched..

your 66 probably is the same as the lower image.. where you have a relay crank to mount the door opening device.. rather than a hinged device..    can you verify that that is fully seated..  pushed down..

do you feel a difference when you pull the lock button up and down.. between sides.... indicating the drivers door latch is still locked..

you could.. for humor..  remove the rear window.. and install a pool slide in the bed area to make it easier to get into the drivers seat...  just have to be careful with the tender pieces when sliding past the steering wheel..  Crazy  

TO TOP