Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

late 80s tbi 350 swap to an hei distributor

kamcgav
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/16/11 01:46 PM

i want to swap over the distributor to the larger type hei on my late 80s throttle body motor, but there is like 3 wires coming off the old one and only 1 coming off the performance new one, (excluding the tach wires) and it looks like fuel lines may be in the way for the larger type to fit, any suggestions? how do i patch in the single wire and will it fit with those (what i think are) fuel lines? will it work with the commputer  

CriminalzMike
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/16/11 02:38 PM

Gm HEI only needs a power wire off the ignition switch to work the rest is self contained the ignition module plugs into the cap the wires off your old distributor are power and then the wires for the magnetic pickup to fire the external coil.  

BuzzLOL
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/16/11 04:42 PM

.. The TBI distributor prolly has computer controlled ignition advance... the new large cap distributor prolly has vacuum/mechanical ignition advance... I don't think the engine will run right with it... any reason why you don't like the small cap distributor?

.. Are you sure this is a TBI/Throttle Body Injection motor? Or the TPI/Tuned Port Injection motor?  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/16/11 07:34 PM

the 4 wire connector is for the electronic spark timing.. and also engine speed signals to the computer so it knows how fast the engine is running..

they did make 4 wire large cap HEI distributers...

the small cap distributer in that IS AN HEI distributer..   the module is an HEI module.. the remote coil is an HEI coil...  the pick up coil is an hei..

if you have a small cap HEI distributer thats giving you problems check for cracks in the magnet..

Smallcapheicracks

if you see cracks in the magnet..    replace the distributer..   the reman small cap HEI distributers from AZ and others have a totally different pick up coil and reluctor.. a far superior design..  you won't believe the difference...

this is what the cardone reman looks like

301830 Bot

high performance large cap HEi distributers are high performance only because of the advance curve and the probable better coil.. sometimes not on the coil..   your small cap HEI is computer controlled.. and helps control the fuel injection system..  

BuzzLOL
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/17/11 02:02 AM

.. X 2... as Wayne mentioned, BOTH the small cap and large cap are versions of HEI distributors...  

TO TOP