Item Posts    Sort Order

Starter replacement

80Vette
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/14/11 06:59 AM

Have a 1980 Vete with an engine rebuild about 7000 miles ago.  Need to replace the starter, but due to the change in the exhaust system to 2" headers into true dual exhaust I found that a standard starter for a 350 is too big to fit in.  Looks as though a mini starter is in place and I was wondering if ther are any special considerations to the replacement.  I haven't pulled the starter yrt but I understand that it may be an "offset" starter.  Also I believe that being a 350 it should be a 153 tooth flywheel.  I don't think they used a 168 on the 350.  Any advise would be helpful as I have only been a FORD guy up til now.

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/14/11 08:51 AM

80vette, welcome aboard:

Jegs and/or Summit racing will have your starter. Just make sure you order the starter for small/big block chevy with 153/168 tooth flex plate. Order a set of starter bolts also. Don't through the old ones away. Always good to have then around they are different. You'll see what I mean when you get the new ones. Then your done until you get it.Just disconnect the battery positive cable. I would be taking the starter out while your waiting for your new one to arrive. Do it that way so your not in a rush when it comes.

The staggered or angled mounting pad will except anything that chevy made except the very early starter that mounted to the bellhousing which you don't have.

If you need shims any GM dealer should have them. Let us know how you make out.........
Thanks
Bob  

80Vette
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/15/11 05:24 AM

Thanks for the advise.  I'm planning on pulling the starter today and will check the sources you gave me for the parts.

Thanks again.

Ron  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/15/11 05:12 PM

Ron:

I thank you for getting back to us. So many times we never hear back from anyone. I am not a pitch man for any parts group. If you have a Jegs or Summit catalog look to see if they also make a heat shield for that starter.

Don't forget to get exhaust header gaskets.
Thanks again Have a "Nice Holiday"
Bob  

TO TOP