Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

1996 Vortec in 83 short bed

DannyBoy57
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 11/25/11 02:48 PM

I recently had a beautiful truck dropped in my lap. A straight lookin 1983 Short Bed, single cab pickup. Ive always wanted to build a modest hot rod outta one. My father gave me the truck. It has a th350 trans and stock rear end. But no motor. My father also had a beautiful 1996 Silverado with the 5.7 vortec. Sadly, it was stolen. But we later recovered it. But it was stripped completely in the interior. Motor,Trans, Rearend still in tact Grin  Well seeing im lookin at makin a modest "sleeper" truck. That will be my daily driver. Is the vortec worth my trouble? I kno it has aboud 120,000 miles. so ill need to re-ring it, new cam bearings, possible bigger cam. etc. (You guys kno the drill haha) Here is another delimma. I wanna do a full electronic delete on this motor. in short. Can this be done? if so what will i need to buy/do? What would i need to look for? and by all means. Im open to all suggestions and opinions. So Please. Feel free to leave your thoughts. They'll be greatly appreciated.  

CriminalzMike
Posted: 11/25/11 03:21 PM

Its actually pretty easy to do this. You will have to buy a 4 barrel intake for the vortech heads and a 600 650 holley will be plenty. A gm hei dist. will drop right into this motor. Pretty much everything else on this will work all the accessorys with the right parts its mainly the ignition and fuel delivery that needs to be changed. Then get yourself some aftermarket guages or get the sending units for the truck your putting it in and install them in that motor.  

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 11/25/11 04:50 PM

WELCOME ABOARD:

Mikes got you headed in the correct direction. Just a few questions. It's a daily driver.

What rear gear does it have?
What transmission does it have?
This will all help when you decide what you want performance and gas mileage,street performer. street/strip performer. That bwould really help. The Vortecs are easy to covert. It's just so we know which way your going.
Let us know!  

DannyBoy57
Posted: 11/25/11 07:59 PM

Well right now the rearend has a 308 highway gear but i was thinking about a 3.73 gear. The Trans is a Turbo 350 with a B&M shift kit and overdrive. Im thinking maybe a 400 horse build maybe. Im 18 and in High School. So jus somethin to drive back and forth and to go out in. I'd jus like to have a nice, clean lookin truck. Nothin to extreme. Jus something if some punk in a mustang comes up. I can show him why my nickname in town is THE HORSE TRAINER. lol im die hard chevy. And i think it will be nice to have my own hotrod. So im not puttin to many miles on dads camaro.  

TO TOP