Item Posts    Sort Order

Check Engine light on

jcmckinney1
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/21/11 04:56 AM

I do not know why it posted my response 4 times but oh well.

The core support states "Federal Emissions"  I live in Rockwall Texas and will be calling today to see what emission requirments are of a 1986 K20.

The choke light stays on when I plug the wire into the carb thermostat.  ANy reason why?

Also, any recommendations for a carb??  Rebuild what I have or go with something better?  

chevelle83
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 09/25/11 12:47 PM

does the oil pressure guage work?  

on the carb,,,, it depends on your use and application???????  what do you intend to do with the truck?  all street? off road?   both?  

jcmckinney1
Posted: 09/28/11 09:42 AM

Oil pressure guage works.  I have 8 volts going to the lead that connects to the choke thermostat.  I plan on using both on and off road.  WOuld the choke thermostat be bad??  Thanks for helping me out.  

jcmckinney1
Posted: 09/28/11 09:42 AM

Oil pressure guage works.  I have 8 volts going to the lead that connects to the choke thermostat.  I plan on using both on and off road.  WOuld the choke thermostat be bad??  Thanks for helping me out.  

jcmckinney1
Posted: 09/28/11 09:43 AM

Oil pressure guage works.  I have 8 volts going to the lead that connects to the choke thermostat.  I plan on using both on and off road.  Would the choke thermostat be bad??  Thanks for helping me out.  

jcmckinney1
Posted: 09/28/11 09:57 AM

Why do I get an error code stating that my post did not go through but it shows up anyways.  Apologize for the duplicate posts.  

jcmckinney1
Posted: 09/28/11 09:58 AM

Why do I get an error code stating that my post did not go through but it shows up anyways.  Apologize for the duplicate posts.

Below is what I get.

* There was an error processing your request, please try again later.  

waynep7122
Posted: 09/28/11 03:15 PM

just ignore that the post did not go through...

click the active posts link when you get that message.. or the community link above right and work your way back into the forums..

it takes about 15 to 20 seconds for the post to be processed by the server...  the server probably has a cold... or a virus..  

waynep7122
Posted: 09/28/11 03:40 PM

here is the diagram for the choke wiring..

Choke

this is a creative circuit...   how it works...

you have switched power on the pink and white wire to the 2 prong  switch below...

you also have 12 volts on the left side in the image of the choke light..

the choke coil on the side of the carb is a heating element.. so the resistance is significant..

when the oil pressure switch is OPEN.. below 5 psi or the wires are disconnected from the pressure switch.. the circuit is completed to ground THROUGH THE light bulb... causing it to glow bright..   sending reduced voltage that you are measuring..

when the engine is started.. the oil pressure comes up.. the switch closes...  sending 12 volts from a significant direct source to the choke thermostat.. causing it to heat up...   but the closing of the switch also causes the light blue and dark blue wires to have the same voltage...  this stops any current flow through the bulb and the bulb is dark..

its very creative .. and also a similar circuit is used on the alternator light.. . but thats a different thread...

this is usually the oil pressure switch that controls the choke wiring above...

this is the oil pressure switch with the light .. not the gauge..

this single terminal oil pressure switch is usually not involved in your choke light problem...

i have had a lot of problems with the wiring connectors to the oil pressure switches...

so.. with a test light...   under the dash...   with the key ON.... engine not running...  

do you have power on both sides of the INST fuse...    yes or no..

do you have power on both sides of the CHOKE fuse..   yes or no..

under the hood.. buried under the distributer...

do you have power on the pink and white wire....

do you have ONLY 8 volts or so on the dark or light blue wire with the choke coil disconnected...

you might be able to do this test easier...

key on.. engine off... test with the choke coil unplugged  on that wire...

key on.. engine not running.. you should have 8 volts... like you are ...

key on.. engine running..   you should have a full 12 volts or more...

sorry i was so late in getting you this info..  it kept slipping my mind....  

jcmckinney1
Posted: 10/04/11 06:45 AM

Wow, this is great info.  I will go thorugh your testing and get back to you.  Thank you very much.  

chancev
Posted: 05/05/12 09:07 PM

Light is a important things for car or everything. anyone do not move without lights. engine lights necessary for car. I drive the car before check engine light on or off. Every body follow this instruction.  

TO TOP