12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Check Engine light on

jcmckinney1
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/20/11 07:40 AM

1986 Chevy K20, 4x4, 350 carb
I just bought the above truck and discovered that the bulb was missing behind the insturment panel.  I input a bulb and the light comes on when I turn the key over and running.  The bulb sits behind the "Check Engine" display.  My Hanes manual states it is the alternator or PCM wiring fault.  Alternator produces 14.2 volts.  Could there be any other reasons?  I plan on a "off Frame" resoration over the next 5 years.  It will be my sons first truck and we plan on doing it together.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Also posted in "Car Engine" section.  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 09/20/11 07:49 AM

try not to post things in multiple sections.. everybody answers things from the active posts..

more to come  

waynep7122
Posted: 09/20/11 08:12 AM

there is a need to identify which system is on your truck...

usually the K series trucks.. did not have a feed back carb...  they only had some variation on electronic spark timing.

how many wires are attached to the carb???    is it just one on the choke thermostat???

or is it the choke wire..   2 to the connector next to the passenger side front carb bolt..     3 to the drivers side front of the carb.???    that would be a feed back system..

trucks with electronic spark control only ..    will have a 5 pin ignition module and a spark timing computer.. identified by the part numbers.. and the hand full of wires..

trucks.. with full control feed back carbs..   will have a 7 pin module and a LOT more wires to the ECM... and a aldl connector under the dash...

there are about a dozen truck magazines on this site also.. many covering your 4x4... depending if you are going back to stock.. or going to several various stages of offroading prep..

depending on the age of your son.. this will be a great project..    one thing ..

if he plans on driving this off road..    you might think safety first.. a proper inside the cab cage.(with padding)  made properly..  a bed mounted real roll over bar..  not just a light bar..  side rails below the cab..  stop rocks from dinging the rocker rails .. also stop or limit side impacts..

you are the father..  86's are a nice looking truck..  plan ahead..  

the only limit might be if you need to smog the truck..   perhaps going to a later inside the frame rail tank.. instead of saddle tanks..   but you have not stated your ideas...  

waynep7122
Posted: 09/20/11 08:20 AM

as for your original question..

check the charging system at the battery..   14.2 looks good..  the 86 alternator is NOT PCM controlled as the later versions are..

look at the sticker on the core support.. describes the emissions system on the truck..

does it say.. meets california emission standards???

does it say.. meets federal emission standards.????

california trucks will have feed back carbs.. and a full ECM..

federal emission trucks will have a conventional carb.. and no ECM..    there will still be a place for a check engine light.. and if you put a bulb in there..  it might light up..  

so.. under the hood you go...  

jcmckinney1
Posted: 09/20/11 08:24 AM

Sorry, was not sure where exactly to post it.  Will only post once in the future.  Thanks  

jcmckinney1
Posted: 09/20/11 08:34 AM

how many wires are attached to the carb??? There are 2 wires (female plugs) but I only see a place for 1 connection (male) on the choke thermostat. I put it on and the "Choke" light comes on in the instrument panel.  The wire was not connected to the carb when I looked at it and drove it home.

I have a Hanes manual that is just as old as the truck.  Is there another you recommend?

Project:
Plan on going pretty much back stock.  He does not need a racing set up but would like to input a strong drive train.

What do you mean by "the only limit might be if you need to smog the truck"??

Thanks again for the info.  I am mechanically capable but technically limited.  

jcmckinney1
Posted: 09/20/11 08:35 AM

I checked it at the alternator.  I will check it at the battery.  Thanks  

waynep7122
Posted: 09/20/11 08:41 AM

the haynes manual covers a LOT of different years of trucks...

the factory service manual can be had for as cheep as 10 bucks and usually not over 40...

there is some (a lot)  free repair info stuff at autozone com   when you join and log in at the upper right .. then select your truck..

the only limit.. .. a lot of people rip all the emission controls off ...  then find out they need to smog the truck where they live ..  after spending thousands..   they end up in limbo.. or under the table..

i have to go right now.. i know there is a diagram for the choke light issue..    but that will have to wait till tonight..

if you only have one wire to the choke..   you don't have an ECM.. and the check engine light probably does not need a bulb...

more later...  

jcmckinney1
Posted: 09/20/11 08:48 AM

Thanks, I will check it out tonight.  I know the Truck came from Georgia and now resides in Texas.  Will let you know.  

chevelle83
Posted: 09/20/11 10:11 AM

one problem with transplanting vehicles like this is sometimes they were not produced with smog in certain areas that didnt have the testing with the acception of the catylitic converter

My 86 K10 did not have the air pump or brackets but my 85 big block C30 DID have the smog pump,,,, that is to the best of my knowledge.  

Do you have to pass emissions in your area???  

you see my 86K 10 does not even have a check engine light!  so go figure??? it seems sometimes there is no end to the variation to the differences in they way they produced vehicles back then?????????????  

chevelle83
Posted: 09/20/11 10:16 AM

here is some eye candy of the truck me and my bro just basically done a semi restoration on Smile  if you want to type "1986 K10 restoration" in the search box and check out my thread

DSC03557

DSC03558

DSC03559  

jcmckinney1
Posted: 09/20/11 10:51 AM

Nice, I hope to have mine looking that way in a few years.  

jcmckinney1
Posted: 09/20/11 10:52 AM

jcmckinney1
Posted: 09/20/11 10:53 AM

jcmckinney1
Posted: 09/20/11 10:53 AM

12 Last
TO TOP