Item Posts    Sort Order
Sticky Thread

454 Rebuild

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 10/07/11 03:35 AM

And there it is- DONE! Quick and spiffy like, nice! I think all engines should be black. Hey thanks for the walkthrough and the good contribution of basic engine info to the forum. Post again when you break it in, let us know how it went. BWAAAAAAAA! Cool

Curious what will happen to the 502 when it comes out?  
idrivejunk

chevelle83
Posted: 10/07/11 06:59 AM

the 502,,,,,, it is gonna be given basically the same treatment,,

the main difference is it has a LOT more torque than the engine currently in our flat bed work truck,,,, it gets used for everything,,,,,

the original engine (454)  has over 150K on it, it still runs very well. but  has a slight cold knock,,,,,, and is leaking a lot of oil now, mainly from the oil pan and timing cover.  we are gonna covert it to 4x4 Smile  

I will make a thread when we tear it down, we are gonna do a semi resto on it while adding the the 502 and the dana 60 front end.  

gman380
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/01/12 07:55 PM

WOW..and Thanks for the thread of the rebuild. I am building soon a 454 for my 89' 2500 Suburban 2wd. The parts should be ready this week at the machine shop..shop says everything looked really good. The Timing Chain broke and I had 6/8 valves contact the pistons...chain failed on shutdown and only the starter was running RPM. Pistons aren't hurt as a result.
Going back with an RV cam/lifter kit and roller rockers, stock TBI with spacers, new springs, new oil pump, new pushrods and bolt kit(if I've missed anything..let me know...)the wires, plugs and distributor assy.are new also. I noticed you didn't use a splash pan under the intake...is there any benefit to using one???
Thanks to your post...going back with a ton more confidence and knowledge.
I've built engines in the past but it sure is nice to have the 3D tips you posted.

Thx again gman  

chevelle83
Posted: 05/04/12 07:02 AM

I would not worry about a splash pan with an aluminum intake. cause they dont usually have the heat crossover and oil burning on the bottom of the intake is not really a problem.

The factory intake should already have the pan attached to the bottom of it?? or did you cut it off?

Just make sure the cam says fuel injection compatible!  otherwise you will have problems with it.  

rmascetti69
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/27/13 02:45 PM

good thread. very helpfull. I have a 454 gen v . Im looking to rebuild it, n would like to get 550-600 or so hp . what heads should I use for this generation big block. n id like to keep it carburated  

chevelle83
Posted: 11/06/13 10:40 PM

I may as well update the ole big block build thread.   I still own and drive the truck I built this engine for.  

It still runs great, the only thing Ive done since the build is re adjust the valves, the truck pulls fantastic, I have loaded it down with my goose neck trailer weighing close to 20,000lbs yes thats 10 tons!   it was indeed overloaded but done fine for the short distance.  
 Even with the pedal on the floor at full load absolutely no spark knock at any engine speed with the temps holding around 190 deg F, and with regular dishwater pump gas!   I made several 120 mile trips pulling a more normal 15,000 lbs no problems what so ever.

The powerful idle and sound of the cam is second to none, I would recommend this exact build for any mild truck pulling big block!  

TO TOP