123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

GM Goodwrench 350 build

chevelle83
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 10/03/11 08:47 PM

from a performance stand,,,, they are gonna be close. the vortecs will probably make a little more torque down low cause of the smaller valves.

however I have not personally tested that theory.  I just know the summits run darn good and I also know vortec engines are great as well.

problem with going vortec, is cam lift limitation, which requires modification to use a larger cam.

and they require a vortec intake,,,, if you already have a good (non vortec) intake it will not work with the GM heads

the summits will fit right in place with old equipment,,,,  

tchavers92
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 10/04/11 01:07 PM

Sounds like a good choice. im getting the transmission rebuilt next week and putting a stall converter in it.Im pretty sure the stock coverter in a 700r4 is like 1380 im going with a 2000  

tchavers92
Posted: 10/04/11 01:18 PM

so how big a cam could i go with the summit heads and still be able to drive it a lot without any problems.  

tchavers92
Posted: 10/04/11 01:47 PM

oh yeah ive got another question. will i have any problems putting the 700r4 out of a 1992 silverado on this motor?  

chevelle83
Posted: 10/04/11 10:16 PM

street engine,,,,, no more than .488 lift  

any cam at or under that will be ok,,,,,

on the duration,,,,, .218 @ .050 idles well   you can go with .224 but this will roughen up the nice low smooth idle.

it just depends on how low and smooth you want it to idle?,,,

also the longer duration will make cold weather starts just a little more hassle

the 700 will bolt right up,,,, for daily driver,,,, get a lockup torque converter, and get the lockup switch kit that goes inline with the speedo and set the lockup at what ever speed you want.

trust me,,,, the lockup makes a HUGE difference in economy and especially with more stall,,,,

the lockup runs the trans much cooler (converter stall is where all the heat comes from)  

pepsi1
Posted: 10/05/11 12:17 AM

You got that right redneck.You don't pull an engine apart to put it back together with the same parts. I don't think you can ever get the bearings to seat correctly or the rings to seal again. You'll have problems right from the get go. Take it apart do it right to put it back together. Vortec heads maybe .450lift cam with doing nothing to them. Confused  

tchavers92
Posted: 10/05/11 01:48 PM

i read something about having to get a carb Adapter for the tv/kickdown cable for the transmission to work properly. says the transmission will be damaged if doesnt have the correct "geometry"  

chevelle83
Posted: 10/05/11 07:23 PM

yep,,, if using the trans in stock form,,, it will require the tv cable to be set properly.

as far as I know there are kits available for the holleys and eddy carbs.  I can get the measurements if needed.

now,,, if you get the TCI constant pressure valve body it simply makes that cable a kick down  and it no longer affects the pressure of the trans.  

tchavers92
Posted: 10/06/11 02:20 PM

how hard is that do to? which would be better.stock or kickdown  

chevelle83
Posted: 10/06/11 09:41 PM

the new valve body is much better way to upgrade the trans.

however,,,, if just using it for normal duty,, then it may be an unnecessary expense. its not that difficult to swap a valve body though.

it just depends on you,,,,,,,,,  

tchavers92
Posted: 10/06/11 10:10 PM

Ok good to know. I really appreciate all your help. I will let you know how she does when im done.  

tchavers92
Posted: 10/27/11 03:54 PM

Got a question. What might  cause the 350 tbi to have a rough idle at low rpms with the oil pressure jumping with the miss it has. It likes to die when idling down like at stop lights or when applying brakes and turning...Ive replace every sensor that can cause this so what else could it be?  

chevelle83
Posted: 10/27/11 10:27 PM

tbi motors are sensitive to vacuum leaks. check for cracked plastic vacuum lines.

also the egr valve like to build up with carbon and this will cause a vacuum leak.

did you clean the area where the iac valve contacts the tbi?  

BuzzLOL
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 10/27/11 11:27 PM

.. OK, where are you now? Did you rebuild the 350"? Did you put a performance cam in it? What year is the truck? Did it have TBI on a replacement Goodwrench engine? Did you swap the 700-R4 into it? Was the 700-R4 a mechanical or electrical/computer controlled tranny? Are you keeping the TBI or switching to 4bbl. carb.?

.. If it was a generic Hecho en Mexico Goodwrench 350 engine, the compression ratio is low (~7.6:1) and HP/torque weak(155HP/330lb.-ft.)... however, the heads can support up to about 375 HP and 425 lb.-ft. torque if the engine is rebuilt with inexpensive mini-dome 'claimer' pistons and a 214/224 cam (Summit #1103) along with new bearings, rings, and gaskets... if this replacement Goodwrench engine has less than 75,000 miles on it, could just add the performance parts to wake it up...

.. Your running problem may be dirty sparkplugs from needing new valve seals... a loose or burned wire... a bad TPS... a burned valve... a bent valve from overreving it with stock valvesprings... a broken rocker arm... try a compression test on all 8 cylinders(using starter, disconnect ignition/TBI, throttle wide open)...  

pepsi1
Posted: 10/28/11 06:24 AM

tchavers92: After reading all the questions you have that are very good. I would suggest you pick up a HOW TO REBUILD MY SMALL BLOCK CHEVY by David Vizard. You will have all the terminology in it. Vizard is one of the better author's out there. He just doesn't tell you about cam lift or lobe seperation he goes into detail about it, and what it does. Confused

I'll tell you something else knowing how to read the parts as you tear down the engine your going to rebuild is just as important as putting it back together. Whether it's a stock rebuild or a 600 Horse Power small block. Just my observation and I think you will enjoy it more, and have more fun doing it. Then when your out there blowing the tires off your ride. You can say I built that engine. Have fun and enjoy life it's too short........ Cool

WHEN I STARTED RACING MY DAD SAID TO ME, SON NOONE HAS THREE BALLS, IT'S JUST SOME PEOPLE HAVE TWO GREAT BIG ONES! Grin  

123 Last
TO TOP