Item Posts    Sort Order

BB quality

bthackrey
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/02/11 09:28 AM

Hey guys I've got a 454 with the casting number 1405445. Stamped on the small plate above the timing chain cover is T0427TXF. On the side of the block it's got 7.4 real big and hi perf pass k6 on it. I know it's a 78-90 truck 2 or 4 bolt main but I was wondering if it would be a good solid block to build up...If there's nothin special about lemme know and if its just plain bad lemme know so I can get rid of it! Thanks for the help guys!
Bt  

greg_moreira
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 08/02/11 05:51 PM

is it a complete motor?  With the TXF casting number(assuming there isnt a typo there) that should be a 1989 motor that was throttle body injected.

Good news?  This should be a 4 bolt motor with a forged bottom end.  Not sure on the pistons, but it doesnt matter anyways cause the bad news is these motors made VERY little compression.

I've heard people say they measure out slightly under 8:1 in real life with this era 454.

In short...the block and bottom end are definitely something worth keeping and using.  Unless its a very mild build.....Id want different pistons to make a little compression, and heads.  As is....it should have some 236 casting peanut ports on it(the heads).  Not a very desirable head at all in stock form.  I think many people would be pleasantly surprised with what the peanut port head can do after some work from a capable head porter however......but its just a lot easier to start with a large oval port head such as a 781 or 049.  

chevelle83
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 08/02/11 05:56 PM

I didnt think the blocks were any problem,,,,, yes the peanut ports arent best choice.  although that is all I got on my big blocks Smile  

but is this a run what ya got build?

or are you just checking to see if those years engines are fair?

where are you headed with this build anyway?  

bthackrey
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/04/11 01:24 PM

Ive already got it, it is a full engine stock everything but intake and carb. Obviously I wanna keep it and make what I can out of it but I just wanted to make sure it was worth putting a little money into. I'm looking to make this car a drive on the street twice a week see the track once every other week. Hoping to make around 550hp if it's not too expensive. Puttin it in my 78 Camaro which is all ready for it. Not really sure where to begin with valve train selection. First build so...but thx for the help! I'll start with new heads and go from there I guess.
Bt

O and it was TBI previous owner switched it over.  

chevelle83
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 08/04/11 05:18 PM

well the peanut ports are worthy heads,, they just need a lot of work to get them there, plus they are old castings.

if new heads are in the budget by all means go for them!

550 hp is gonna be pretty radical for the street,,,,premium gas only, and quite a healthy cam lope.

as long as you are competent, and can assemble the engine your self 500 hp big block power is well within reach.  

before you worry about valves,,,, why dont you get the motor torn down and inspected and away to the machine shop,,,,,,

if all is well then,,,,, and only then,,, begin to order parts.

which btw I would start with the bottom end and get a capable foundation together first.  

bthackrey
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/05/11 02:39 PM

Thanks guys! I tore it down today, here's the parts list...heads 14092360,  crank 353036, and pistons Have the speed pro lightning bolt on them. Anything I should keep in you guys' opinion??  

bthackrey
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/06/11 06:09 AM

Ive got a good deal on some 336781 heads. Ive heard these are great heads but ive also heard of a lot of problems with valve spring use with these heads. you guys know what this is about? think their worth looking into? 250 negotiable so...  

TO TOP