Item Posts    Sort Order

1977 Truck rebuild

spm731
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/06/11 02:30 PM

Hi everyone, new to this forum and thinking about a project, and have a few questions, so hope someone can help, thanks!
My dad bought a 1977 chev half ton brand new in 77.  I always like the truck, he got it as loaded as a truck could be in those days.  He ended up selling it before I turned 16, and I was quite disapointed.  I actually located the truck itself and am thinking about buying it and restoring it.  The 350 is shot but the rest of the drivetrain is good, and surprisingly the body is still in pretty good shape, but my dad was a body tech in those days so he painted it custom almost as soon as he bought it.  The only thing I don't like is the long box.  I found a 77 short box that has a good engine in it, the box is ok and the frame is solid. If I did a resto I would be doing a frame up, so I was curious if using both trucks, cab, tranny, and rear end of dad's old one, and frame, box, rear brakelines, driveshaft, etc. from the other truck if it would be a doable resto.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I also have a line on a step side 77 thats in about the same shape as the other short box.  My dad still has all his tools and set up so body work isn't going to be a problem for us.
Thanks  

spm731
Posted: 06/06/11 02:32 PM

PS, if it's too much work we'll maybe just stick with the long box, but it should be a fun father son experience none the less  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 06/06/11 03:19 PM

sounds like a great father/son project. Cool  

68scott385
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 06/06/11 03:47 PM

+1

Trucks are easier to work on. IMO
Older trucks are REALLY easy to work on.

The only real difference between the 2 trucks should be the fuel tank, drive shaft length, and maybe the length of the secondary cable in the parking brake system.

ENJOY!  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

tedb77
Posted: 03/19/12 09:58 AM

I did a 77 chevy stepside resto. Good choice and very easy to work on. Did a ground up. Took everything apart with nothing but the four frame rails. Take pics and mark everything. You have ant questions, just post and I'll see if I can help.  

ToddZilla77
Posted: 05/24/12 03:52 AM

I'm re-building my 77 chevy k-10..I've heard I can get rid of the (2) frame mounted gas tanks and switch to a single gas tank as in a suburban between the frame rails.. is this possible and if so.. any help would be appreciated..  

TO TOP