Item Posts    Sort Order

Rear Axle Length

oldchev
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 05/14/11 09:26 PM

Re: Chevelle ElCamino differentials.
Can anyone enlighten me about flange to flange length for early "A" body vs. later?
As I understand the 64-65 has narrower (shorter) flange to flange than 66 up?
Not sure what year it changed. If you know, what is the dimension for both early and later.
Thanks to anyone who can provide this. -Oldchev  

Skylark
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 05/15/11 07:16 AM

Do you have a drop out center section or do you access the gear from the rear.the reason I ask Is what are you trying to do. the early rear is not as strong as the later rear.to do it for an extra inch would not be the way to go.Google GM a-body frame dimensions see if you find anything or tell us what you want to do.  

oldchev
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 06/06/11 06:35 PM

Swapability. Can a 66 up differential swap into 64-65 chassis with no disruption to flange end to end length. As we A body aficionados know, we have limited room in the wheel well and don't want to modify if avoidable. Make sense?  

oldchev
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/02/11 04:03 PM

I guess my answer/question wasn't clear. I am looking at differential housing end to end length. It is not a drop out (ford style) it is a GM (dana) housing. The question is they (gm) made an adjustment to flange to flange length either 65 or 66. I am thinking 66 was the adjustment yaer. I believe GM made this "A" body housing 1 inch wider flange to flange. I am finding axle housings available but don't know the measurement of later vs. early.

Does anyone out there have reliable information as to the dimension in inches?  

TO TOP