Item Posts    Sort Order

396 big block no spark at plug

shadow.3_
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/07/11 08:43 PM

New to site, hope you all can help... here goes.
Just inherited a 1968 camaro with a big block 396 (from a 66 impala) with t400 tranny..no spark at plug. It is points distributor, but i dont see a resistor wire or ballast resistor. (new battery, starter, plugs, plug wires, coil, points, rotor, condenser).  Now the problem,... car turns over fine, but no spark at plugs.  There is thick gauge wire from battery to starter, one green wire from starter crimped to a purple wire that dives into firewall that im assuming goes to ignition, then white insulated wire that comes out of firewall to the pos of the coil.   on neg side of coil there is a small black wire that goes to underside of distributor.  i am getting 12v reading at the pos and neg of coil when key is in the on position.  No spark from the high tension high voltage upper insulted wire that goes from coil  to the distributor (when i take this wire off the distributor and hold it close to ground and turn key to crank, no spark fro it).  points open and close when i crank engine, distributor seems to spin well (also i bypassed the ignition by placing a wire from pos side of battery to the pos side of coil, no spark), also i checked to see that the small black wire that goes from neg side of coil to the underneath side of the distributor was good and i think it is because i am getting 12v at the post inside the distributor. none of the 3 new coils that ive bought remedy the problem.   I am not sure if it might be a fuse issue(doubt) or a resistor issue(doubt), or an electrical/grounding issue (i bet!!).  UGH, must be an electrical wiring issue and something relatively simple since ive already replaced most of the electrical stuff.  Thanks for your patience with me, obviously im sort of a newbie, but i am working on it with my 11 year old son and 8 year old son.  we are ALL learning a lot!!! (especially me)..  Smile  Smile  Smile ...john  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 06/08/11 07:32 AM

id put an hei on it & be done.  theyre pretty cheap from summit or jegs.     been awhile since i messed with points.  kinda remember they need to be gapped?   did you mention in another post an unknown switch under the dash?  i wonder if its a hidden kill switch or something.  might be worth checking out?  

devine69
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 06/08/11 08:21 AM

you could go back with new points and condenser- cap w/button. but for the money the hei distributor from like jegs or kmj would be cost worthy and simple to wire and drop in.  it will be complete and i got one to test run in motors on engine stand. great for street apps. kmjperformance.com has them on sell at 39.00 free shipping--check it out. good luck  
old school racing--god bless us all

68scott385
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 06/08/11 12:17 PM

+3
HEI will cure current and future headaches.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

Ragenrat
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/28/11 05:30 PM

Unfortunately even new parts can be bad right out of the box.

The wire feeding the dizzy from the coil could have a break in it?

The problem with changing a bunch of parts at the same time is which part is bad.
It's Possible the condenser is bad. Confused
I agree about just going HEI for obvious reasons.
If you do go the HEI route you need to replace the old resistor wire going to the coil as the reason it's a resistor wire is to cut voltage so parts don't burn up .

Here is a quote from you:
(i am getting 12v reading at the pos. and neg. of coil when key is in the on position. No spark from the high tension high voltage upper insulted wire that goes from coil to the distributor (when i take this wire off the distributor and hold it close to ground and turn key to crank, no spark from it).

Again
Also you mentioned you have full 12volts from the resistor wire. Somebody might have changed this somewhere down the road? The original resistor wire cuts the voltage so you don't get full 12 volts? This will cause over voltage to your points and coil and cause premature failure.

On the starter

Points set-ups use the terminal on the left. See picture.
1 Sdr0031 Solenoid

Just wish I could be there to help.
I hope I've at least given a little food for thought.
Father and son projects are great.
Best of luck
RagenRat  
ChevyXtreme!!! Forums
WWW.67-72CHEVYBOARD.COM

TO TOP