Item Posts    Sort Order

1967 Impala SS body restoration

chevelle83
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/21/12 09:12 PM

Fine work there junkman, another happy customer!  

idrivejunk
Posted: 01/22/12 06:42 AM

Thanks, guys. Glad you liked the show.  Laugh

Impguy, its been my pleasure. You've got a real head-turner there, let us know how many ladies it will seat! Seriously, enjoy the hard-earned ride. I've been having all the fun so far and now its your turn. Dust off the gas card and let 'er rip!  
idrivejunk

Chevlac
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/29/12 11:30 AM

Nice work, "Junkman". Your skills are impecable. Anyway, I have a '68 Impala that
is in need of a major restoration job, but I cannot afford to hire someone with your
expertise to do the job. Plus my (now "late") father taught me how to fabricate
auto body parts from sheet metal to form replacement parts that aren't made by auto
body parts manufactures. The body type I have is the "rarer" 4 door hard top. I
bought a '68 Caprice 4 door hard top for "parts" but, the rear quarters & floors
are rotted out. I can get "new" floor pans, but those are mostly made for the two-
door cars. The only (possible) source for replacement rear quarters for the 4 door
cars is a "junkyard" or auto salvage yard. I do know that there's just such a place
that has a "few" '68 4 door hard top cars that are "parts fodder" that I could get
the quarters from, but, that "Yard" is in Pheonix, Arizona. I live up in northern
New York State. So, shipping that size & weight of parts will be quite expensive.
It's just a shame that no one makes quarters for the full size 4 door Chevies of the '60's. Have you, "Junkman" ever had to "fabricate" the "dog leg" section of
the rear quarters on 4 door cars by "hand"? If so, is it hard to do? I could use
inner fenders from almost any other car for "patch" material, just like you did on
the '67 Impala SS. I was thinking of useing some of the inside sections of the rear
inner fenders from the Caprice's body for that job. But, then again maybe not, if it's going to be very "labor intensive" to bo so. I too cannot work for hours at a
time in the same position. I start "stiffening up" & get achey if I stay in one spot
for too long.  

idrivejunk
Posted: 03/29/12 05:34 PM

Howdy and thanks, Chevlac  Cool I get achey too, its from doing repairs like this!

I have not had to replace a 60's 4 door dogleg section. I'm trying to picture it but I never rode in the back of my 67 HT sedan. At least anytime I was back there I was looking at something more curvy, lol.

I would really have to see the area in question before I could recommend a course of action. But, I have replaced numerous four door quarters, rockers and dogleg "boneyard clips". The dogleg is normally where the sectioning occurs on quarter or rocker replacements and its not a particularly difficult area to work, aside from the tendency of sheetmetal to warp uncontrollably near a sharply stamped contour line. Gotta be real careful with the heat, go slow and check fit repeatedly as you do.

Tips-

Leave the striker support and rear door in the original positions if possible while you patch and fit.

Check fit with weatherstrip temporarily installed and door latched.

If theres an inside radius you need to make, form and split open some tubing then weld flat sections to that. Thats if you can't find the contours you need on another scrap and piece them together.

The difficult and nice way to do it is to make your complex patch all into one piece with welds ground on the backside and proper rust protection, so you make only one seam around the perimeter ...

But sometimes when the contours are very complex or when breaking down the project into smaller jobs, its simplest to build the patch on the car, starting at the innermost area to be repaired. Then you just build on that until its all patched. Easiest to recheck fit as you go this way, but you don't get to coat the inside of the area as well so it won't last as long.

It also makes sense to work in a logical order. For example, go ahead and cut out whatever dogleg section you'll be replacing before you start cutting the wheelhouse. Make the wheelhouse patch first, then the quarter's. Fit them both, then patch the wheelhouse and seal the metal while its accessible. Then proceed with the outer panel.

Hopefully that tubing trick will help you decide whether or not to tackle it, I'm guessing theres a tricky curved inside radius to deal with. Sharper 90 degree radiuses like under 1/4" could be made just with careful welding and grinding of flat stock, depending on what you have to work with. The idea is of course to make the patch from as few pieces as possible but in this case it may be necessary to build it up from smaller pieces.

Thanks for taking the journey through this thread! Smile I know it takes awhile.  
idrivejunk

idrivejunk
Posted: 05/17/13 03:50 AM

Look who's baaack! After more than a year of rounding up local car show trophies and racking up some fun cruisin miles, ImpGuy and his car came back for more work. New A/C compressor in the trunk along with other items gathered to complete the Chevy air conditioning and hopefully get it working. Of course theres a couple other things too, fluid leaks. Its just back visiting for enough days to get those fixed and do the A/C, then back off it goes into the wild blue yonder. Just thought I would post a little happy update about one of my favorite cars.

IMG 3098 Zps3cdcf2d4  
idrivejunk

TO TOP