Item Posts    Sort Order

1967 Impala SS body restoration

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 10/09/11 06:09 PM

Now that is some useful information!  Smile  Thanks bigchevyguy.  
idrivejunk

idrivejunk
Posted: 12/06/11 07:40 PM

Update time! Smile

Six weeks in upholstery shop jail ... and the headliner is in and vinyl top is on. We picked it up. Work that was done looks good, just a little disappointing as far as how much got done. The door panels are still a work in progress. But I am back, to finish the job and get this sweet thing on the road. Hasn't been to an alignment shop yet, though. Progress may be slow on my end, too. There are many little hurdles left to jump at this point but I will see it through.

Onward- (through the snow! Took an hour and a half to drive to work today!)

Heres how we got it back:

IMG 4599

Implr2

Imprr1

IMG 4591

IMG 4593

Today I took everything out and got the carpet fitted and one seat and belt in. It will probably come back out to paint the brackets, but the fuss of locating all the mounting holes is overwith anyway.

IMG 4618

Started trimming the vinyl top for drip rail chrome, talked to ImpGuy for awhile, then it was time to split. Stay tuned, I'll get 'er wooped.

IMG 4615  
idrivejunk

idrivejunk
Posted: 12/07/11 06:45 PM

Today I got those drip rail moldings installed. Had to be super careful trimming the edges of the new top, lots of glue on the driver's side. Also finally installed the cowl and wipers. I left the front and rear window moldings off, the owner wants to do some straightening and polishing before installing them later. Painted a rear window trim piece, did some wiring under the hood, started installing the power window harness, chased some parts, etc. Stay tuned

Smile

IMG 4624  
idrivejunk

chevelle83
Posted: 12/08/11 08:34 PM

I aint a big fan of vinyl tops but they sure look great on an old chevy!  

that is indeed a long time in the upholstery shop! for such a small amount of work, the guy I use could have done that in a couple weeks no sweat.  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 12/11/11 01:01 PM

Man a vinyl top just ruins a car imo.
Never the less looks like a job well done ID.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 12/11/11 03:04 PM

Hey there Junkie and Impguy,it looks like a good Install to me(top),and I love Vinyl tops but that Blue was soooo pretty,LOL.MY fav.colors for cars with Vinyl tops are white, Lite yellows and dark reds.Almost got to Ark. this week but it was going to be a task as the ride was with a relative's dad going home for the last time.RIP.just wasn't Kosher.Impguy you STILL a lucky Man.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 12/11/11 03:11 PM

Venereal tops were the rage in their day.,. let Imp guy bring it back to it's origin.
I can take them, or leave them, for period correct.
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

idrivejunk
Posted: 12/13/11 06:20 PM

LOL. Ok, ok. Guys go back to the beginning and look how badly rust pitted the roof was. We sanded and treated it and barely straightened dents up there but it did come out looking straight enough that we could have shaved the top studs and holes. I like all paint everywhere on everything, just look at my own cars.

I slapped the interior in it over the last couple days. Maybe it will make more sense when I show y'all these:

Pardon the dust and poor light, I decided it looked better with no flash  Grin

IMG 4676
IMG 4675
IMG 4673
IMG 4670
IMG 4680  
idrivejunk

76Skylark
Posted: 12/14/11 11:27 AM

Dust.....In a Body Shop.......How could you.  In 67 I was 16, that Back seat brings back Memories.  Beautiful Car!!  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 12/15/11 07:55 AM

That black interior looks great.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

tuffnuff
Posted: 12/15/11 08:17 AM

A lovely Cinderella story.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

idrivejunk
Posted: 01/20/12 10:05 PM

Thank you Tuff, Pman and Skylark!  Laugh

Here she is, in all her former glory and more ... ready to go home!

It spent a few weeks too long getting upholstery, then we waited to have some of the chrome polished before reinstalling, but it was worth the wait. I finished it up today, with the last issue being a bad gas guage. I installed the old one then took these pics. Like new inside and out, it is striking in person. Thanks for all the looks and encouragement folks!

IMG 5221

IMG 5225

IMG 5228

IMG 5243

IMG 5250

IMG 5248

IMG 5251

Special bonus Chevy- we also finished this one today. Man its a looker ain't it?

IMG 5215  
idrivejunk

Pontiacman2
Posted: 01/21/12 07:02 AM

Looks like a job well done.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

76Skylark
Posted: 01/21/12 03:53 PM

Two Very Impressive rides,I'm sure your just as ready to see them go as you can be  but that's something to be proud of.  

67ImpGuy
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/21/12 04:31 PM

I've been very impressed with the great job on the Impala. It's been almost a year since I got to drive it, and I'll be picking it up Monday morning. Gonna drive it around and show it off and enjoy it. The weather should be nice. Everyone where I work is expecting to see it. I hope to get the A/C working, put a dual exhaust on it, and put an audio system in it this winter and do some cruises and car shows when the weather gets better. Junkman, I've really enjoyed the pictures and commentary during the whole deal, and I look forward to reading about your next big Chevy projects. Thanks, man.  

TO TOP