Item Posts    Sort Order

1967 Impala SS body restoration

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 10/06/11 07:14 PM

Been a few days of thrashing to get this thing all together, lots of tool piles on the floor at quitting time, ha ha.

Heres something this thread has been missing, a sunlit side shot. Man o man look at them lines. 67s are beautiful.

Imps1
Implr1
Impr4
IMG 3588

Now the car is going away for awhile, to have a vinyl top and interior kit installed. Then it comes back to us for finishing touches. In the meantime, I will post some of the assembly details and try to remember to snap a pic of the completed dash. I just enjoy looking at the Marina blue, I'll miss that.

Cool  
idrivejunk

chevelle83
Posted: 10/06/11 09:55 PM

the shop is definitely up to the task of excellent work!!  thanks for the great pics and thorough thread with the restoration.

yeah,,,, I can see yall missin the blue hue,,,,, there aint much ocean up in arkansas is there,Smile  

Darklark
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 10/07/11 04:45 PM

Impguy,SUPER RIDE and I am also a huge fan of Vinyl top's,go figure.the LOOONG roof line on the 67 is just too pretty to dull(if you will)with a vinyl top. that color Pops out and I think it will take away from the lines but in 67 I saw plenty both way's I think I would Two Tone it before vinyl,My Dad had a 67 Galixie that was dark blue and he had the top painted a carolina blue(baby blue) it was damn sharp.Whatever you choose It is still a Killer Build.you a lucky Boy.  

idrivejunk
Posted: 10/07/11 07:07 PM

Lark, Velle, thanks for the looks and comments. The HACK Shack makes dreams reality!  Laugh

The trim shop said Monday would be best to deliver it, so we spent some time and made it ready for those guys, like sorting thru all the parts and fasteners and making sure they get what they need. Put a seat in it even though its going to be trailered, its hard to move the car safely when sitting on a box or something. It still needs the lube job and alignment, and some of our stuff has to be finished up after the top n trim so we will meet again. I'm not sure if its getting new seat covers, the old ones look nice. Same on the door panels, not sure. Don't know which of us will install the power window switches either. Yet. I'll be back on the '62 truck next week.

The engine is willing as can be on cold starts. You can hear a mild little rusty exhaust note from the driver's chair. Finally warmed it up today, just enough to open the thermostat and the painted rams horns immediately began to discolor, as can be expected. I have driven it up and down the driveway a few times and it needs the alignment pretty bad after all the work. But the new brakes stop straight and the light throttle response is snappy. Steering box is leaking some at the input shaft but turning is effortless and tight. Oil drain plug has a slight drip. There were some brake leaks I'll have to share about too but all gone now. Heres that dash shot I promised:

IMG 3627

Oh, I neglected to show another one of the modern features we added, the blade type fuse box and new wiring harness! You can see bits of it. I added two speaker wires to the rear body harness. The stock ribbon cable under the carpet is no more and the tail lights look great lit up with plenty of juice plus new lenses. I need to post about the audio, too. All in good time, thanks for the views, people!
Cool  
idrivejunk

idrivejunk
Posted: 10/07/11 09:25 PM

TECH TIME! Heres are some of the issues I encountered along the way:  Blush

On the disc brake conversion:

The front bleeders are 10mm and the lines from the prop valve to master are metric now. Pretty much 80s Monte Carlo.

The hard line to the rearend was new, but didn't reach the new proportioning valve position so we had to extend the line. At ImpGuy's request, I located the union underneath the car, tucked into a corner of the frame. Yes, we still have a black paint touch up day in the future!

IMG 3502

IMG 3526

Instruction sheet showed a '55 spindle and thats a "front steer" setup. Messed us up so I had to flip the steering arm bolts to get full turning radius. Tech support was helpful.

IMG 3503

Fit between the new calipers and hoses was so bad that stacking two  copper washers was required for clearance. Also had to tweak one brake pad just to make it fit the caliper.

IMG 3552

The brake hoses are really short. Almost have to pull the caliper to connect them. Tight bend at the caliper.

Had to bend the wheelhouse for clearance at the prop valve.

IMG 3501

One of the rear brake pipes didn't want to flow. Got it cleared out and the whole system got thoroughly flushed with the help of a pneumatic MityVac.

IMG 3619

Can't test the brakes or break the new pads in very well in the driveway, but they seem to work smoothly. There may be adjustments needed later for fine tuning the front to rear.

On the audio, or lack thereof:

I ended up just mounting the AM radio dead. The dash speakers from Custom Autosound did not fit. Its two speakers mounted on a plastic plate. Well, after modifying the bracket so that it would actually fit under the speaker hole, I tried to install the top center A/C vent and nope, didn't fit. That duct barely skates around the stock single magnet, low profile speaker. I would have to chop and modify the duct (see marks on duct in pic) to install them so we skipped it with Impguy's blessing. Its a shame because a lot of stuff has to come out to reach that speaker area (dash bezel, face plate, radio, climate controls, upper vent, middle hose, and lower air manifold) especially difficult after the console is in. If it were mine, I would use the stock fitted speaker frame (its curved to seal around the dash hole), and use it to make a mounting plate for a new single speaker if anything. Pretty sure audio will be added later anyway, and I ran wires for rear speakers.  

IMG 3613  
idrivejunk

redneckjoe69
Posted: 10/08/11 12:23 AM

hard to believe thats the same car you started with.  awesome work IDJ! Cool    CHP should do an article about it when your done.  what do ya think Henry?  Laugh     nice touch on the tag. Wink  Grin  

idrivejunk
Posted: 10/08/11 07:41 AM

Thank you very much, Joe. I pretty much did everything except paint and wire it, and I did part of even those things. Like my boss says: "Piece of cake!". I dig cake. Fat chance on the other. Since I started this thread, the forum here has become less of a meeting place and more of a "race or be trashed, with a first gen only Chevy engine but don't say anything about getting 300 HP or more because you can't know how son, why does my TBI truck run bad, lets critique everyone and discuss politics" kinda site, where good spelling is rare and moderators are a dime a dozen. I doubt Henry is interested in a 275 HP single exhaust stocker, even if its pretty. Bet they would get off to the Camaro we just did though. I'm just wanting to finish what I started (with plenty of "showing off") and keep Impguy informed.  But sure enough, here we are, over 30K views on a stock Impala again. Its regs like you that keep me coming back, Joe. Forum politics be damned. How have you been?

Smile  
idrivejunk

Darklark
Posted: 10/08/11 10:13 AM

Damn Them Damnit,I touched on that racing/street scene on the welcome post.I think more folks are building Nice Street cars than Race car's lately but I said something about that and Maybe Henry has other plans.Or not.No I really think the Powers that be would want to Keep the Mag.a Chevyhiperformance venue rather than Chevyracing.unfortunatly the Kids rule the Direction of this type of Busness And as long as they show cars w/ a million HP and Tags everybody want some.Matt do not Stop When I hit Lotto we'll start our own Mag.  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 10/09/11 03:18 AM

i keep hearing that magazines & newspapers will disapear one day because of the internet.?   i can see why.  all these magazines do a real quick, short story & a few pics, followed by tons of advertisments.  heck, half the mags are advertisements.  i think these sites are the thing of the future & they had better capitolize now.  you can interact on here, ask a guy some questions, ask for more pics or a video, get into detail.  things a mag just cant do.  and they still have theyre advertisers money here.  it sure would be nice if the staff at the mags were involved more.  except for Henry, i dont know of any other staffer who participates or interacts with the readers.  when i see high dollar race cars with tags on them, i think, thats cool but i doubt its street driven much.  ive really enjoyed watching the impala go together.  it shows what it takes to do it right.  maybe its classic chp?  but still cool to me.  i agree, the site needs to be a more friendly place.  i think people forget that we werent born with the firing order memorised.  we were all new to this hobby at one time.  it should be a place to laugh, have fun & learn.  anyway, thats why i come on here.  keep up the good work Junkman.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 10/09/11 04:37 AM

Sigh,,,, I took the liberty of going back 80 pages when this "was" a friendly place and readers numbered in the 1000's for almost every topic that was posted (link at bottom of post).
I became mod because there was strife and chaos.,. this was soon rectified with careful grooming and a warm welcome for newbies.
ALL questions were answered promptly and to the best of our ability.,. many lasting friendships were forged, at that happy time.
I believe the forum is now,,,, where I found it and it grieves me, that in my humble opinion.,. the mag has taken a giant step, in the wrong direction.
I do hope that this forum survives, but, I feel that the much fewer posts, are an indication of the road ahead.
I'm still mod at CC, HPP and HPM.,. they are vibrant, courteous and thriving again, that is also from much effort.,. because it was not always so.
I do wish the younger generation and this forum all the best in the future.
I even expect much criticism for this honest summation, and that is truly sad.
Sorry guys, but all the fun and laughter is gone now, I tried, I really tried.
Check out the link for yourselves,,,,,, if you think I'm kidding.

http://forums.chevyhiperformance.com/active-posts/page80.html#ixzz1aHK7wnGA

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

Darklark
Posted: 10/09/11 06:05 AM

Let's Get Off Matt's build thread and Start A new One.Sorry buddy, I have an Idea,Let's ask Henry.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 10/09/11 06:10 AM

Agreed.,. sorry Matt.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

idrivejunk
Posted: 10/09/11 10:02 AM

Its OK you two. I brought it on myself by mentioning it.  
idrivejunk

tuffnuff
Posted: 10/09/11 10:28 AM

Awwwman

Thanks Matt,,,,

Grouphug

this is for all my buds.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

bigchevyguy
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 10/09/11 06:01 PM

just thought i'd throw in my two cents.I'm presently doing a complete frame off on a 68 biscayne,all new floors and rear wheel houses.You are correct in saying no wheel houses for a 67,no problem the new houses available for the 65-66 models will fit right in with some minor mods around the wheel lip.I'm going to sat that they will fit all 65-70 full size chevys.  

TO TOP