sm465 granny gear transmission rebuild

Scalliwag
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/05/12 07:26 PM

Chevelle83, did you take pics of the assembly? thx  

chevelle83
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/07/12 10:34 PM

what are you needing to know, or where are you at with the transmission?  

84_CUCV
Posted: 04/09/12 06:50 PM

i recently picked up a mid 80s 465 and im having a few issues with it. when i drained off all the oil and yanked the PTO cover i found what looked to be a chewed up snap ring. it looked like the edge of a pie crust (wavy like, like an acordian) but in a few pieces. trans went thru the gears fine.  Confused no big deal. got the trans pressure washed and degreased some. lifted off the top cover, shift forks seemed fine. got the front top bearing out (with some difficulty) tried to get the rear top bearing out and of course, having my luck, wont come out at all. i tried like crazy for 3 hours heating and crankin on the thing and still wont budge. ahh, whatever right? all the while im going back and forth looking at your pictures and comparing them to my trans. with the PTO cover off i notice that i do NOT have the snap ring on the lower shaft! also, the front input shaft will not come out at all.

what am i doing wrong? must the rear top bearing come out as well? will the missing (and possibly destroyed) snap ring keep me from pulling out all the gears?

i was planning on completely rebuilding it top to bottom in the next few weeks. could you possibly do a write-up of the assembly part of it also? as well as ALL the bearings, syncros, shift forks, etc?  

Scalliwag
Posted: 04/10/12 06:52 PM

Icon Quotechevelle83:

I pulled the top cover and the gears, syncros, forks etc look great. But I want to do the third gear bushing fix while it is out. Is it possible to pull off the snap rings on those gears and pull the shaft out far enough to install that bushing and avoid yanhking everything out?  

Scalliwag
Posted: 04/11/12 05:49 AM

Icon Quotechevelle83:

Icon QuoteScalliwag:
I pulled the top cover and the gears, syncros, forks etc look great. But I want to do the third gear bushing fix while it is out. Is it possible to pull off the snap rings on those gears and pull the shaft out far enough to install that bushing and avoid yanhking everything out?

I guess I shoulda mentioned that my last question did not have anything to do with the first Wink But I noticed that you did not remove the lower shafts and I was wondering how/if that shaft (not the idler) can be slid back? Even though I have all the snap rings off it does not move. None of the gears move freely which seems strange since when the 3rd gear clip notoriously breaks that gear slides all over the place usually?  

Scalliwag
Posted: 04/11/12 12:34 PM

I found this pdf on the manual. I can follow this thread a lot easier but it makes for good reference. Apparently the countershaft sometimes requires pressing to get it out. http://www.zieglerdigital.ca/public/downloads/sm465rbman.pdf  

chevelle83
Posted: 04/16/12 01:13 AM

sorry for the late reply, ok yes both imput and output bearings must be removed to get the main shaft out of the trans.

yes you have to remove the snap ring and slide the 3rd counter gear forward on the splines to ease the installation of the out put, or main gear set.

there is an upgrade that uses a sleeve and eliminates the 3rd gear snap ring put it make is a PAIN to take the trans apart.

yes that rear bearing is a slight interference fit, but should come off with 2 large pry bars prying on each side at the same time.

the counter shaft rear bearing is a .002 interference fit and requires a puller to remove it, it is probably the hardest thing to deal with on this particular trans.

I dont currently have a trans apart to get more detail of the counter gear removal/install.  All I can do at this time is talk you through it.  

chevelle83
Posted: 04/16/12 01:25 AM

on the rear counter gear bearing.

You can use  a large hammer and a large piece of round stock to drive the shaft through the bearing then add an extra snap ring then do it again till you get enough room to install the puller cause it wont fit with the bearing fully seated.

Just use extreme care to NOT burr the end of the counter shaft cause this will make the bearing removal almost impossible, I am good enough with a torch to cutt the races and let the bearing fall out, (I do this to get them apart faster cause I am going to replace the bearings anyway)

just dont get into the shaft with the torch or get it too hot and burn it up.  

pepsi1
Posted: 04/16/12 01:30 AM

Icon Quotetuffnuff:
Great info Chevelle.,. I'll be doing a BW Super T-10 in the next couple of weeks, I should post pics of that rebuild, the Muncie is also very similar.

Smile

Tuff

I have a 2.88 first gear super T10 that has been pro shifted.. disc 6 finger ram it has a solid hub, clutch, flywheel,pressure plate, and bloproof bell housing If your interested let me know.

It also has a Hurst shifter..I won't split it up... Grin  Cool

Bob  

tuffnuff
Posted: 04/17/12 08:20 AM

Icon Quotetuffnuff:
Great info Chevelle.,. I'll be doing a BW Super T-10 in the next couple of weeks, I should post pics of that rebuild, the Muncie is also very similar.

Smile

Icon Quotepepsi1:
Tuff

I have a 2.88 first gear super T10 that has been pro shifted.. disc 6 finger ram it has a solid hub, clutch, flywheel,pressure plate, and bloproof bell housing If your interested let me know.

It also has a Hurst shifter..I won't split it up... Grin  Cool

Bob

Thanks for the offer Bob, but, I already have 3 T-10's in various gear ratios and also have several Muncies.
Is your's the iron or aluminum case?
How are you doing these days old bud?

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

KinseyRacing
Posted: 04/24/12 04:58 PM

Where is the best place to buy the repair parts for the sm465? Could I get them at NAPA?  

chevelle83
Posted: 04/25/12 09:46 PM

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/sm465_parts.htm

copy and paste this link, novak is a good place to order parts, they are about the same prices of local places I have ordered them.

Yeah napa can probably get anything you need, however it will depend on what the guy behind the counter knows!   If he is set up with a vendor then it should not be a problem.  

KinseyRacing
Posted: 04/27/12 08:49 AM

Thanks  

wherewasi
Posted: 07/29/12 10:45 AM

Chevelle,
Need some help.  I just got an old SM 465 basically for nothing and want
to tear it down and rebuild for my Jeep project.  Anyway, after I yanked off the transfer case some water came out the countershaft bearing.  Took the PTO's off and there is some rust in there.
Anyway, got the cover bolts off and raised the cover with a pair of 5/16 - 18 bolts.  Problem is I can't get the thing to shift... it's stuck.  Any suggestions on how I might persuade that cover the rest of the way?
Thanks,
Tom  

wherewasi
Posted: 07/30/12 05:31 AM

Chevelle,
Nevermind my post... I Aero-kroiled the hell out of the shift rails and got it to move.
Thanks,
Tom  

123 Last
TO TOP