Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

5.3L engine build opinions

garthstuart
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/05/11 10:18 PM

I would like opinions on the following build that I am thinking of doing. The engine is a 5.3L LM7 engine from a 1999 2wd chev truck. The short block will be the stock block with original pistons with new rings, main, connecting rod and cam bearings. This car will be used ONLY for bracket racing. I am thinking about using either the edelbrock 7118 performer rpm carb intake or the edelbrock 2908 victor jr carb intake with a holley 750 carb. The heads are 862 heads that came with the engine. I am thinking about doing some porting and polishing of the heads. I am thinking about using either the edelbrock 2215 or edelbrock 2216 roller camshaft along with either intakes. the heads will have whatever recommended springs for the camshafts. I would sure appreciate your opinions about this build and other parts suggestions that you might think would maybe work better. Thank you. I would like to eventually get different heads etc.  

garthstuart
Posted: 01/08/11 09:43 PM

I can't believe nobody has replied to voice their opinion good or bad about this build. All I am asking is if you think this build is ok or whether there are other parts YOU think would work better. Opinions good and bad will honestly be considered. Thank you.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/09/11 11:52 AM

Icon Quotegarthstuart:
I would like opinions on the following build that I am thinking of doing. The engine is a 5.3L LM7 engine from a 1999 2wd chev truck. The short block will be the stock block with original pistons with new rings, main, connecting rod and cam bearings. This car will be used ONLY for bracket racing. I am thinking about using either the edelbrock 7118 performer rpm carb intake or the edelbrock 2908 victor jr carb intake with a holley 750 carb. The heads are 862 heads that came with the engine. I am thinking about doing some porting and polishing of the heads. I am thinking about using either the edelbrock 2215 or edelbrock 2216 roller camshaft along with either intakes. the heads will have whatever recommended springs for the camshafts. I would sure appreciate your opinions about this build and other parts suggestions that you might think would maybe work better. Thank you. I would like to eventually get different heads etc.

Sure, I'll step in and give you my thoughts bud. I think you might be better off going with a Lunati or Comp cam, your choice. It's been found that Eddy cams are flat and lazy, when compared to the ones I mentioned.
Your pistons should really be forged for racing only purposes, as well as ARP fasteners for your rods.
Go with a Holley DP for the track
Good luck

Grin  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

Pontiacman2
Posted: 01/09/11 12:05 PM

+1 tuff.
It would be good to go with arp main and head bolts as well.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/09/11 12:08 PM

That too,,,

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

Pontiacman2
Posted: 01/09/11 12:10 PM

Yep  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

garthstuart
Posted: 01/09/11 07:34 PM

Thanks guys. I knew I could count on you guys to give me your opinions. I was only going with the fact that Edelbrock says their cams are dyno matched to the intakes. But then I suppose they wouldn't try any competitor cams with their manifolds. Guess that's why I don't work in sales. I was thinking of going with a cam with 220 to 240 duration @ 0.050 and 0.500 to 0.575 lift for both intake and exhaust. Never thought about Lunati.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/09/11 08:18 PM

Icon Quotegarthstuart:
Thanks guys. I knew I could count on you guys to give me your opinions. I was only going with the fact that Edelbrock says their cams are dyno matched to the intakes. But then I suppose they wouldn't try any competitor cams with their manifolds. Guess that's why I don't work in sales. I was thinking of going with a cam with 220 to 240 duration @ 0.050 and 0.500 to 0.575 lift for both intake and exhaust. Never thought about Lunati.

I think .500" is plenty for your 5.3

Grin  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

papacharlie
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 01/09/11 10:18 PM

for bracket racing, the short block will be ok. just keep the rpm level under 6500. the cam will have to be a hyd. roller, that's the style of block you have. the roller lifters can be reused if they roll smooth. go with the air gap style intake, it operates from 2000-6500+. the cam profile is ok that the gus say, just make sure it's a roller style without too much lift(more than.475) for the vortec heads(i'm thinking you ment 062 for the casting#) that came on the engine. if you're going to different heads later, do it sooner if you want to use a bigger cam so you don't have to buy a cam again as the machine work can get spendy at some shops for the head work needed.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/09/11 10:27 PM

Icon Quotepapacharlie:
for bracket racing, the short block will be ok. just keep the rpm level under 6500. the cam will have to be a hyd. roller, that's the style of block you have. the roller lifters can be reused if they roll smooth. go with the air gap style intake, it operates from 2000-6500+. the cam profile is ok that the gus say, just make sure it's a roller style without too much lift(more than.475) for the vortec heads(i'm thinking you ment 062 for the casting#) that came on the engine. if you're going to different heads later, do it sooner if you want to use a bigger cam so you don't have to buy a cam again as the machine work can get spendy at some shops for the head work needed.

Nope,,, he's got 862's and here's a pic of his nice chambers,,,

Vortecchamber

Grin  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

ethelkilledfred-#001
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 01/10/11 06:12 AM

Icon Quotegarthstuart :

Icon QuoteChevy HiPerformance:

Edelbrock's new intakes and electronic ignition controller (manufactured by MSD) not only fit the LS1, they also fit the Corvette LS6 engine and any other Gen III engine including the LM7 (5.3-liter), LR4 (4.8-liter), and LQ4 (6.0-liter). And as I've stated, they allow the use of a carburetor on these originally computer-controlled engines, offering maximum power and a broad torque curve from 1,500 to 6,500 rpm. The Performer (also available is a Victor Jr. design) manifold made with 410 hp and 418 lb-ft of torque in dyno tests with Edelbrock's matching cam (#2215) and Performer Series carb (#1413). The Performer RPM LS1 kit includes a wiring harness and the aforementioned electronic Timing Control Module that works with OE sensors to fire the coil-on-plug ignition system, and offers a choice of three timing curves. A special throttle and trans bracket that works with 700R-4 and Turbo 350 transmissions is included, again, making the LS1 engine an easy retro-fit into any musclecar or street rod.

0505Sc Conversion 11 Z
And last but not least is a copy of some dyno information showing a comparison between a stock injected LS1 and one outfitted with an Edelbrock carburetion and camshaft upgrade. Pretty impressive gains for old school technology, don't you think?

The Edelbrock 216 cam is fine.
Duration Advertised 314° Intake/322° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' 230° Intake/237° Exhaust

I also recommend you upgrade the valve springs for that cam. Scoggin Dickey has the LS6 springs for $52.25 per set and they are a direct swap.

that cam idles great at 850-900 rpm and has great drive ability.

Your heads are alum and porting them is a pain, your cutters will gall up unless you use oil which gets everywhere or some type of wax/lube.

I would go with the Vic Jr and a 930 carb and forged pistons but many have gotten 500 hp with stock pistons.

Worlds quickest STOCK LS based Motor

The turbo 5.3L Fairmont run's it's new best track time, which is quite possibly THE FASTEST stock LSX motor on earth!  
-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

truckboy6
Posted: 01/12/11 11:27 PM

This engine displaces a mere 325ci and makes up for in horsepower efficiency, so will get excellent power, so go with that, keep up the good work dude.  
Used Cars For Sale | Motorcycles For Sale

TO TOP