Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

427 truck engine flywheel

steeltrip
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/29/10 07:17 PM

I have a 1989 chevy 1 ton 4wheel drive with a 454. Motor got run hot and locked up. I also have a freshly rebuilt 427 tall deck truck engine with the tbi intake on it. I know it is not going to be a direct swap but I think I can work out all the problems without too much trouble. The question I have is about the flywheel. From what I have been able to find out these engines are externally balanced, it has the harmonic damper installed on it already and it has a weight on one side, and I am assuming I will also need a weighted flywheel. Does anyone know if the 454 flexplate will work? It has a turbo 400 tranny in it. Also the 427 is a 1 piece mainseal and the 454 is a 2 piece. I know the small blocks use different flexplates when this is the case, what about the big blocks? If a 454 flexplate won't work does anyone know if a factory flexplate is available to do this and if so where could I get a part#  

chevelle83
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/29/10 07:34 PM

as far as I know all the 427s were internal balance, and no,, the flexplate for a 2 piece seal engine is zero balance, the flexplate for a 1 piece engine will have a weight on it.  

ethelkilledfred-#001
Posted: 12/29/10 09:00 PM

Icon Quotesteeltrip:
I have a 1989 chevy 1 ton 4wheel drive with a 454. Motor got run hot and locked up. I also have a freshly rebuilt 427 tall deck truck engine with the tbi intake on it. I know it is not going to be a direct swap but I think I can work out all the problems without too much trouble. The question I have is about the flywheel. From what I have been able to find out these engines are externally balanced, it has the harmonic damper installed on it already and it has a weight on one side, and I am assuming I will also need a weighted flywheel. Does anyone know if the 454 flexplate will work? It has a turbo 400 tranny in it. Also the 427 is a 1 piece mainseal and the 454 is a 2 piece. I know the small blocks use different flexplates when this is the case, what about the big blocks? If a 454 flexplate won't work does anyone know if a factory flexplate is available to do this and if so where could I get a part#

What makes you think you have a tall deck? None of this sounds right. A tall decks will not fit a TBI intake without mods, tall decks never came one piece seals, 427 cranks never came one piece seal. Standard BBC has a 9.8" deck height, the tall blocks has a 10.2" deck that's .400 taller. Check your facts cause it sounds like you have a non tall deck one piece seal 454 motor.  
-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

tuffnuff
Posted: 12/29/10 09:43 PM

Icon Quotesteeltrip:

Icon Quoteethelkilledfred:
What makes you think you have a tall deck? None of this sounds right. A tall decks will not fit a TBI intake without mods, tall decks never came one piece seals, 427 cranks never came one piece seal. Standard BBC has a 9.8" deck height, the tall blocks has a 10.2" deck that's .400 taller. Check your facts cause it sounds like you have a non tall deck one piece seal 454 motor.

+1 EKF
427's are internally balanced and use the same flex plate or flywheel as a 350.
454's are externally balanced and require a 454 wheel.

Grin  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

steeltrip
Posted: 12/30/10 05:03 AM

The intake that is on the motor is the cast iron heavy truck intake with the dual thermostat housing setup at the front. A regular big block intake will not fit, I tried it, that's how I know for sure it is a tall block. The heavy truck intake is a throttle body type that my throttle body off of the 454 will fit. The harmonic damper was mounted on the motor when I got it and it is a heavy truck type, the pulley mounting surfaces are different than for a car, it has a weight on one side, like a 454 car motor does that's why I think this motor is externally balanced. The rear seal is a 1 piece, it looks just like the rear of a small block with a 1 piece, the crank flange is perfectly round. I am an experienced machinist with  a shop of my own, I can make everything fit together physically, I just want to make sure the balance is correct so that nothing gets damaged.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 12/30/10 06:28 AM

Icon Quotesteeltrip:
The intake that is on the motor is the cast iron heavy truck intake with the dual thermostat housing setup at the front. A regular big block intake will not fit, I tried it, that's how I know for sure it is a tall block. The heavy truck intake is a throttle body type that my throttle body off of the 454 will fit. The harmonic damper was mounted on the motor when I got it and it is a heavy truck type, the pulley mounting surfaces are different than for a car, it has a weight on one side, like a 454 car motor does that's why I think this motor is externally balanced. The rear seal is a 1 piece, it looks just like the rear of a small block with a 1 piece, the crank flange is perfectly round. I am an experienced machinist with  a shop of my own, I can make everything fit together physically, I just want to make sure the balance is correct so that nothing gets damaged.

OK,,, there are two ways to positively identify your engine.
1) get the casting # off the crank and source out the stroke, or, measure the stroke, a 427 has a 3.76" and a 454 has 4.00"
2) measure the deck height from C/L crank to block/head surface,,, 9.8" is car and 10.2" is tall truck. I'll do a little math here for readers with a similar issue,,, Your crank snout is 1 5/8" so half of that, to arrive at C/L, is .825" to snout surface, this would make 8.975" (almost 9") for a car block and 9.375" (9 3/4") for a truck tall deck, if a tape measure were used with the dummy end butted up against the snout and measured to block deck.
Regardless of what the dimension is, a 427 is internally balanced and does not require a special flywheel/flexplate or damper.
The 454 is externally balanced and requires a 454 flywheel/flexplate and damper.
The damper from a 427 car engine will fit on a 427 tall truck engine.
The same goes for a 454, where crank snouts are all the same, the dampers interchange.

Grin  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

ethelkilledfred-#001
Posted: 12/30/10 10:53 AM

Icon Quotesteeltrip:

Well it's always good to ask. I did not know they made a Gen 5 427 tall deck. It is getting harder to find info on the net due to too much info when you google and it's not specific. I looked up parts for it and found parts for a Gen 5 to my surprise but could not find when the started make these motors. When I use to look for them in the wreaking yard the years you look for were 68-76 Tall Deck 427 Truck casting number 3782870. Some of these blocks could go over .100 over bore, today you just by an aftermarket block. I new they stop making these motors but didn't really know when and didn't know they come EFI. Chevrolet produced the Big Block 427 until the mid-1990s. The only 427 available from 1972 to 1995 was a truck version that was used in GM medium duty trucks such as the Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC Top Kick until 1995. Throttle body electronic fuel injection was used on the 427 from 1988 to 1995. Looking up the block ID will let you know what flywheel it takes. If it is a one piece seal then it is externally balanced, if it has two piece seal then it is usually internally balance. Give Northern Auto Parts a call and see which replacement flywheel it takes. Hope this helps. Post back what you find.

Tall Deck = 10.2" Height.
1991 and later Gen.V - VII Engines have 1 piece seals.

Naplogo
http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductId=3020
Products
Chevy 427 Truck 1991-1994 Tall Deck
10114184 casting number 427ci   91-92 Tall Deck, Gen.V
Chevy 427 Truck 1991-1994 Tall Deck Engine kit, cam kit and re-ring kit

If you need a  Chevy 427 Truck 1991-1994 Tall Deck engine kit, Take a look at this!!  The lowest price kits out there with brand name components.

Northern Auto Parts Kits come complete with top quality Name Brand parts from: Federal Mogul, Sealed Power, Mahle, Mr Gasket, Hastings, Melling, Pioneer, Perfect circle, Clevite, Victor Reinz, and Fel-Pro. You will not find a more complete, less expensive kit with the name brands we offer, out there anywhere, period !

Most kits have Option upgrades allow for substitutions at the cost indicated.
Oversizes available at no extra cost. I.E. pistons, rings and bearings sizes

Master Kit Includes:

* Name Brand Stock style Camshaft
   * Name Brand Stock style Lifters
   * Name Brand Stock style Timing set / Belt
   * Name Brand Stock style Pistons
   * Name Brand Stock style Piston Rings
   * Name Brand Stock style Rod Bearings
   * Name Brand Stock style Main Bearings
   * Name Brand Stock style Cam Bearings
   * Name Brand Stock style Oil Pump
   * Name Brand Stock style Frost Plugs
   * Name Brand Stock style Gasket Set

Cam Kit Includes:
Includes Camshaft, Lifters, and Timing Set

* Name Brand Stock style Camshaft
   * Name Brand Stock style Lifters
   * Name Brand Stock style Timing set / Belt

Re-Ring Kit Includes:
Includes Piston Rings, Rod and Main Bearings and Gasket Set

* Name Brand Stock style Piston Rings
   * Name Brand Stock style Rod Bearings
   * Name Brand Stock style Main Bearings
   * Name Brand Stock style Gasket Set

Here are some Engine Rebuilding Tips

1. Need oversized pistons? make sure to match your rings to the piston, over-size.
  2. Never soak your lifters, just coat with a good cam lube prior to installation
  3. When replacing your camshaft with a higher lift cam always buy matching springs.
  4. Remember to use Plastigage on your bearings to make sure of a proper oil clearance
  5. When installing any bearing Do not Attempt to Polish The Bearing Running
     Surface With Any Type Of Abrasive Pad Or Paper.
  6. Use an Engine Break-in Oil Additive such as Comp Cam's #159

For more tips and information check out the great links- From Clevite
Camshaft Break-In Procedures  /  Camshaft Installation Tips  /  Crankshaft Installation Tips
Checking Bearing Clearances  /  Engine Bearing Installation Tips   /  Oil Pump Installation

Category:
General Motors

Manufacturer:
Engine Kits

-

BSR-International

steeltrip
Posted: 12/30/10 10:59 PM

thanks for the info. I got the casting #s off of the engine and have found it is a gen V talldeck. I still have not been able to find a part # for a flywheel, actually I'm not sure such a part actually exists. I don't know if one of these engines was ever installed in front of a turbo 400. Any flywheel info I have been able to find has been for manual trans or allison automatics with 16" dia. flywheels, and from pictures i've seen the auto flywheels are big cast iron things that probably weigh as much as a manual flywheel. I guess I could get one of those and use it to figure out how much weight to add to a neutrally balanced flywheel to get it to match. If I was rebuilding the motor I could have the machine shop balance the whole assembly, but this is a brand new motor and I don't want to do that. Some things I found out are that the heads, which are part# 10101140 are comparable to 215, 290, or 063 castings which aren't too bad. They do have the gen V style nonadjustable rocker arms though. These can be replaced with conventional style without any modification to the casting from what I have been able to find out. Thanks again for the info and as I find out more I'll put it on here.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  casting #s heads 10101140  block 10237299  crank 10114189 1 piece main seal main  

ethelkilledfred-#001
Posted: 12/31/10 02:49 AM

Icon Quotesteeltrip:
thanks for the info. I got the casting #s off of the engine and have found it is a gen V talldeck. I still have not been able to find a part # for a flywheel, actually I'm not sure such a part actually exists. I don't know if one of these engines was ever installed in front of a turbo 400. Any flywheel info I have been able to find has been for manual trans or allison automatics with 16" dia. flywheels, and from pictures i've seen the auto flywheels are big cast iron things that probably weigh as much as a manual flywheel. I guess I could get one of those and use it to figure out how much weight to add to a neutrally balanced flywheel to get it to match. If I was rebuilding the motor I could have the machine shop balance the whole assembly, but this is a brand new motor and I don't want to do that. Some things I found out are that the heads, which are part# 10101140 are comparable to 215, 290, or 063 castings which aren't too bad. They do have the gen V style nonadjustable rocker arms though. These can be replaced with conventional style without any modification to the casting from what I have been able to find out. Thanks again for the info and as I find out more I'll put it on here.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  casting #s heads 10101140  block 10237299  crank 10114189 1 piece main seal main

My guess would be to take the current flywheel you have to a balance shop and have them match the external weight and then use a one piece seal 350 flex plate that has external wieghts and have them see if they can match it with very little to no Mallory. I have done this when taking a auto out and putting an 4 speed on a 454 or when switching balancer to a lighter one. Good luck.  
-

BSR-International

TO TOP