Ad Radar
12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

fuel pump push rod stuck in a 454 any ideas how to free it???

tiara33open
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/06/11 11:12 AM

Hello hope you can help - I have a 454 with the fuel pump push rod stuck, I can push it up with some force and once its up the cam will push it down. The history is this, I went to replace my manual fuel pump and everything was fine until I reinstalled it. I put it all back together and when I turned over the engine to start it the fuel pump wouldnt feed the carb fuel. The pump is new and ok. I took the pump off and the push rod appeared to be stuck but I can move it up with some force and the cam will push it back down. I cant get it out as I would like to replace the push rod. I have tried the following

1. Pliers - the rod will not rotate
2. Needlenose vice grips - will not move it
3. hose clamp - access to small to tighten the clamp down on the rod
4. lubricated the rod
5. had someone crank the motor while I tried to remove it - no luck still stuck

Note : I pulled the rod and inspected it before putting it back and it appeared fine - no knicks, scores, mushroom. It went back in fine before I replaced the pump, slid in easy with no friction.

HELP Frown Confused  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 02/06/11 11:38 AM

i'm not a big block guy but small blocks have a bolt on the front of the motor you can take out & use a longer one to hold the pushrod up.  if you dont put that bolt back it will leak oil.  maybe it's "dragging" on the pushrod?   just trying to be helpful.  maybe it got "mushroomed"?    vice-grips won't grab it?  

tiara33open
Posted: 02/06/11 11:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback - uunfortunately whoever designed the 454 they didnt put a removable back plate like the 350's to get better access to the rod. The rod was fine when I pulled it out with no sign of warpage, mushrooming or damage. It slid right back in place easily prior to reinstalling the new pump, in fact I needed to use grease to hold it in place to allow me to install the pump. For whatever reason the rod jambed when I re installed the new pump. The pump rocker arm seemed to seat behind the rod and went in with little resistance on installation, so I am confused at this point why the rod is stuck??? Bottom line I am dead in the water until I come up with a solution to get the rod out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Confused  

ethelkilledfred-#001
Posted: 02/06/11 12:38 PM

Guessing, sounds like the end toward the cam got wiped out. Check out your oil with a magnet and look for any metal in your oil. If you have some it could be your cam fuel lobe got wiped out. You will need to pull the cam out and check it, and then use a file and file the end to take the burr of so it will fit through the hole again to get it out. Good luck, post some pics if you can.  
-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

Pontiacman2
Posted: 02/06/11 01:31 PM

Yep.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

tiara33open
Posted: 02/06/11 02:40 PM

Thanks - the cam is pushing the rod down when I push the rod in the up position. The rod should be free and easy to move - gravity should make it fall out normally but in this case its locked up, I cant spin it or pull it out even with a set of pliers firmly gripped on the end of the rod. What i am hearing when cranking the engine is a low tone clicking noise. Does that sound familiar? Ready to screamSmile Confused  Mad  

chevelle83
Posted: 02/07/11 12:31 PM

when you push the rod aganst the cam will it fall away a small distance and then just lock up??  

unless the fuel pump was in a bind and turning the engine over bent the end of it trapping it in the block I dont see how anything could have went wrong.

the rods can mushroom (very rare) in a stock engine.  the only thing that I can think of is the pump was in a bind and allowed the cam to put a small burr on the end of the rod.  

tiara33open
Posted: 02/07/11 02:53 PM

answers to your questions
1. No i have to use good force to get the rod to go up and when I crank over the engine without the pump in the cam will push it down. It is just very difficult to move and it should fall out by gravity.
2. I would think if it were bent the cam wouldn't push it all would it? The rod has appr 3/4" exposed and wont come any further
3. You may be right as I hear the clicking noise of the cam hitting the rod when the engine is turned over

Not sure where to go from here - rod stuck, little access and cant convert to electric due to the cam hitting the rod??? any ideas on how to get the damn thing out? Shocked  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 02/07/11 09:42 PM

i think ekf had the best idea so far.   in a total pinch, i'd weld some all-thread to the end of the pushrod & use it like a slide-hammer.  but that's pretty redneck.  Grin  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 02/08/11 06:24 AM

Yeehaw!
Morning Joe.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

redneckjoe69
Posted: 02/08/11 12:36 PM

hey pman!   Grin  

waynep7122
Posted: 02/08/11 12:58 PM

Ok...

a few questions....

what kind of fastener is in the front upper motor mount hole...  the one that intersects the pushrod...
can you take the upper fastener out.. and measure the thread length...     did you have to use an IMPACT gun to get it to tighten in????  

does the pump still work.????? when you work the lever on the work bench...   i have found pumps that were also broken...

the fuel pump eccentric on the cam should be at the proper location for fuel pump installation when the number 1 cylinder is at TDC on the power stroke...    so one can either pull the number one spark plug.. get it to blow out a piece of tissue and then set the damper to TDC ...  or pull the cap.. and crank the motor till you get the rotor pointing at the number one position..

the reason i ask what kind of fastener is in the upper hole... to long a bolt can BEND the push rod to where it will NEVER come out again...      i have run into several big blocks in my 30 years of working that somebody had screwed this up....  a fuel pump block off plate... and an electric fuel pump to bypass the mechanical pump.. was how they fixed it..

i have found an easier way.. that does not involve holding the push rod back with the front pump mount bolt...

bump the engine like i described above.. to bring up compression on number one...

disconnect the battery...   pull the dipstick...  stick the dipstick end  straight down through the opening ..  the tip of the dipstick will need to be wiggled a little to get it in front of the push rod...  now you can push the pump lever against the dipstick .. the dipstick will push the pushrod up and allow the pump lever to drop in front of the pushrod.. making pump installation easy...

why disconnect the battery... some alternators are right over the top of the fuel pump.. and since you are sticking this down from the top behind the alternator..  you don't want to generate some serious sparks...

if you want to try a new push rod...

these are the 3 numbers for the big block chevy pushrods that many parts stores stock at least one of them..

Airtex Master/Fuel Pump Pushrod Part Number: FP936
Price:$17.99

Mr Gasket/Fuel Pump Pushrod Part Number: 6056
Notes: Lightweight;

Motormite/Fuel Pump Pushrod Part Number: 03875  
Price:$5.99  

tiara33open
Posted: 02/08/11 03:21 PM

Well after several hrs of bs trying at min 15 tactics recommended by everyone, tomm we are going to weld a threaded rod on the end of the rod and with a washer and nut we will back it out by turning in the bolt until it comes out. It will be interesting to see what condition the rod will be in, without doubt I will be installing a new one

Thanks for all your input and hope none of you ever have to experience what I did the past week. Summary when you replace the pump replace the rod with it ($15) and a whole lot less aggravation When putting the rod back in grease it push it in and with someone at the ignition-turn over the cam until it starts the rod back down and stop-take the pump and install it making sure the pump arm is firmly behind the rod and make sure the arm stays thare while your tightening down the bolts. Confused  Grin  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 02/08/11 05:16 PM

good idear.  Grin    lol.     put a picture up when ya can.   take your time & put a good weld on it.  Wink  

41chevy41
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/08/11 06:44 PM

Can you take a piece of 1/4" thick flat stock and drill a hole in it a 1/16"  larger then the rod slide it over the rod, hold the flat stock down on an angle with pressure on it and smack it with a hammer.  
41 chevy

12 Last
TO TOP