Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

1970 Pro Street Camaro - Supercharged 454 troubleshooting

ProStreetCamaro
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/02/11 04:39 PM

I'm reaching out and hoping someone has some ideas here..

The engine is a big block 454, aluminum heads, 10.1 comp., Wieland 274 blower and Holley 950cfm carb. All parts are brand new. The engine is only a year old and made 636hp/620lbtq on the dyno. Once installed in the car, it ran fine too. It was stored last winter for about 3 months and now does not start, sputter, backfire - nothing. Here's what I've done to try to get it started:

- Grounded spark plug against frame and verified spark is present.
- After trying to start for a bit, pulled plug and verified plug had fuel on it (visibly wet). Tried starting with lots of fuel, little fuel, choking it, WOT...
- Pulled blower and checked it/intake for any blockages
- Installed new MSD HEI distributor and new engine ground strap. Double checked battery ground.
- Un-plugged car's wiring harness from starter and used a remote control to jump the starter (this step eliminated all vehicle wiring..)
- Triple checked engine timing. Currently set at about 24 degrees advance.
- Checked cranking cylinder pressure and averaged 155psi in each cyl.

Next weekend I am going to pull the valve covers and check the valves in 90 degree increments to confirm they are opening/closing all the way.

Once again, the motor ran great just before it was stored. I had it out in the driveway and it got up to about 220 degrees (temp), then was shut down and let the electric water pump and fans run another 20 minutes to cool the engine. Since that day, its been dead and the race season is just around the corner. This engine is brand new and no expense was spared with internal parts. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!  

tuffnuff
Posted: 02/02/11 05:34 PM

Icon QuoteProStreetCamaro:
I'm reaching out and hoping someone has some ideas here..

The engine is a big block 454, aluminum heads, 10.1 comp., Wieland 274 blower and Holley 950cfm carb. All parts are brand new. The engine is only a year old and made 636hp/620lbtq on the dyno. Once installed in the car, it ran fine too. It was stored last winter for about 3 months and now does not start, sputter, backfire - nothing. Here's what I've done to try to get it started:

- Grounded spark plug against frame and verified spark is present.
- After trying to start for a bit, pulled plug and verified plug had fuel on it (visibly wet). Tried starting with lots of fuel, little fuel, choking it, WOT...
- Pulled blower and checked it/intake for any blockages
- Installed new MSD HEI distributor and new engine ground strap. Double checked battery ground.
- Un-plugged car's wiring harness from starter and used a remote control to jump the starter (this step eliminated all vehicle wiring..)
- Triple checked engine timing. Currently set at about 24 degrees advance.
- Checked cranking cylinder pressure and averaged 155psi in each cyl.

Next weekend I am going to pull the valve covers and check the valves in 90 degree increments to confirm they are opening/closing all the way.

Once again, the motor ran great just before it was stored. I had it out in the driveway and it got up to about 220 degrees (temp), then was shut down and let the electric water pump and fans run another 20 minutes to cool the engine. Since that day, its been dead and the race season is just around the corner. This engine is brand new and no expense was spared with internal parts. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Have you tried a dribble of fresh gas down the carb yet,,, ran into the very same problem a little while ago on a test stand,,, last year's gas was stale,,, got a squirt in the carb and got an instant bark.
Try it,,,

Grin  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

ProStreetCamaro
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/02/11 05:59 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I will give this a try this weekend. Also heard to try and squirt a little fuel directly in each cylinder...  

tuffnuff
Posted: 02/02/11 06:09 PM

I pefer thru the carb or throttle body, less chance of drowning out the plugs, cuz then you're S-O-L. Keep in mind your float bowls will be full of the crap gas too.
Boost engines are particularly sensitive to fuel volatility cuz of combustion pressure,,, try it cuz I was ready to pull my hair out too,,, distrib change, plug swap, #1 check, spark at plug you name it,,, found the problem in the last place I looked, as usual.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

1980elcamino
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/08/11 10:12 PM

Wish I had a camaro with a blown big block.... Some day.  

TO TOP