Item Posts    Sort Order

BB lifter noise

SuperProNova
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/30/11 11:51 AM

New 2 me, real 68 SS El Camino, 396/375 HP, 4 spd......

Sounds good when first started, after warming up, major lifter noise...
Factory solid lifter cam has been replaced with...unknown...but it's not a solid lifter cam. For some reason all were adjusted to 0 lash, adjusted them in 3/4 of a turn, the one making the noise got louder when warmed up... Before I replace with Cranes Factory solid lifter cam/lifters and the rockers, any ideas for a temp fix?
Can't tear it down until summer but want to drive it until then, any help would be welcomed
Thx  

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/30/11 12:09 PM

Icon QuoteSuperProNova:
New 2 me, real 68 SS El Camino, 396/375 HP, 4 spd......

Sounds good when first started, after warming up, major lifter noise...
Factory solid lifter cam has been replaced with...unknown...but it's not a solid lifter cam. For some reason all were adjusted to 0 lash, adjusted them in 3/4 of a turn, the one making the noise got louder when warmed up... Before I replace with Cranes Factory solid lifter cam/lifters and the rockers, any ideas for a temp fix?
Can't tear it down until summer but want to drive it until then, any help would be welcomed
Thx

Hmmmm,,, you do have a problem if only one lifter is clattering with 3/4 lash. This is what I would do to determine if you have a collapsed lifter,,, factory lash is 2 turns, do that and see if the noise dummies up.
While you have the rocker cover off,,, do a thorough visual inspection on the rocker, rocker ball, valve stem, valve spring and pushrod.
Next shine a light into your lifter gallery and check the condition of the cam lobe,,, the lobe is mated to the lifter, simply a mirror image.
Worst case scenario, you take the intake off and replace one lifter,,, if it's collapsed, BUT, if the cam lobe is wiped out,,, get earmuffs and ignore the noise, the damage is done,,, usually within the first 20 when the engine is started for the first time after a rebuild or cam swap.

This is what a "healthy" cam lobe should looks like,,, the dark part on the right side is the undesturbed parkerizing,,, IF, the lobe is shiny across the surface,,, it's wiped.

Camwear

Grin  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

TO TOP