Item Posts    Sort Order

trans swap

moondogmike
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 10/30/10 06:00 PM

hey my names moondogmike, got a 55chev conv. got a tired 327,4spd and 3:08 rear. i want to get better fuel mileage on the highway. would converting to a later 5 or 6 spd be better than installing a gear vendors over under drive to get lower rpm at cruising spd? what would i have to change to fit 5 or 6 spd in place of 4 spd. plus if i went that route what model or from what car would be the best for my aplication. not into banging gears or hot roddin too much. into highway cruisin mostly, and gettin up there fairly fast, but not worried bout quick e. t.s. any help or advise would be appreciated. thanx mdog  

chevelle83
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 10/30/10 06:20 PM

Hey,, since your car is already 4 speed all you need to do is call kieslerautomotive and order one of their 5 speeds,  $1800 for the trans that will bolt right in place of the 4 speed.

You will have to add their trans yolk and have the driveshaft shortened maby hammer the floor pan a little.
Just google the name and it will come right up.   They machine the flanges and already have the correct (old style) coarse splines that make installation way easier.  
 I think a 5 speed is the best thing for economy and driveability.  

chevelle83
Posted: 10/30/10 06:20 PM

Hey,, since your car is already 4 speed all you need to do is call kieslerautomotive and order one of their 5 speeds,  $1800 for the trans that will bolt right in place of the 4 speed.

You will have to add their trans yolk and have the driveshaft shortened maby hammer the floor pan a little.
Just google the name and it will come right up.   They machine the flanges and already have the correct (old style) coarse splines that make installation way easier.  
 I think a 5 speed is the best thing for economy and driveability.  

moondogmike
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 10/31/10 11:46 AM

hey thanx, do you know if shifter hole will be in approximatly the same spot? i will contact kiesler also. thankyou for your help. mdog  

chevelle83
Posted: 10/31/10 08:46 PM

Yes because they machine the tailhousings and put the shifter right where it needs to be. You should not even have to modify your existing shifter hole.  

55Guy
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 11/01/10 08:53 AM

Your better bet is to contact Classic Chevy 5 Speed (owned by B&M/Hurst now) and you can get everything you'll need.  

TO TOP