123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

71' monte carlo

pepsi1
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 02/26/12 11:35 PM

There are a few thousand others but stick to what we all know works:

Lunati, Comp Cams, Crane Cams, Isky, Howard, Erson, Read what they tell you about the Cam. Bigger is not always better, so be carefull with Cam, carb, Torque convertor, and head selection. They all have to work together to make music...LOL....
Thanks
Bob  

garrettfisk
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/06/13 11:09 AM

So now I'm going with a little bit bigger motor. I'm getting a 396 from my dad for free. The motor has 1965  square port heads on it.  They have the smallest combustion chamber I know if for big blocks. To keep the compression up. I was thinking about freshing the m otor up and putting a roller cam in it.I know every one hates this motor but s big block that revs to 7000 us quite impressive.  

garrettfisk
Posted: 10/20/13 12:00 PM

So I bought a edelbrock top end for big blocks.  It's the performer oval ports. Was wondering if I can put a roller can in it with out changing the valve Springs.  I was looking at comps 4 pattern cam.  Any help would be awesome  

Dave632
Posted: 10/20/13 05:15 PM

Depends on what valve springs are in it. You will have to find out seat pressure, open pressure, with whatever cam lift you are going with, and coil bind.
I always ran roller cams, even my street Camaro had a roller in it. Check with the cam manufacturer and see what they recommend. The short stroke 3.76 BB can hit 7K without too much trouble if you have the right equipment. I occasionally took my 632s to 7500 and never had any trouble. I had 1000 lb open springs and Titanium valves too. The valve train is usually the limiting factor there.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

tuffnuff
Posted: 10/21/13 04:17 PM

Icon Quotegarrettfisk:
So I bought a edelbrock top end for big blocks.  It's the performer oval ports. Was wondering if I can put a roller can in it with out changing the valve Springs.  I was looking at comps 4 pattern cam.  Any help would be awesome

Oval port intakes will not work with rectangle port heads.,. the top corners will not be covered by the manifold.,. this results in a massive vacuum leak.,. the bottom corner are in the same peril.,. oil will be drawn into the intake charge, this promotes detonation.
Good luck.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

garrettfisk
Posted: 10/23/13 12:02 PM

I bought the top end kit which is oval port.  The specs say it's good up to .700 of lift. so do roller cams need diffrent valve Springs compared to flat tappet.  I was looking at the was I belive a .640 lift and 230 240 duration.  Do you think it will make close to 500hp because that is what I'm hoping for  

Dave632
Posted: 10/23/13 05:34 PM

Did you buy the complete top end kit, heads and all? If the specs for the heads say that they are good for up to .700 then you should be good to go. You would not need different springs for the roller. If you only have the intake then you are out of luck as Tuff says that will not work. 500 hp is not impossible but it would depend on the builder, compression, etc. More likely in the 425-450 range.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

garrettfisk
Posted: 12/08/13 10:18 PM

so like i said i bought the top end kit witch includes every thing that gose on the top end like intake heads cam. heads are oval port witch are actully a real square not rectangle and the intake is oval port. i talked to the guys are comp and i do have to change the valve springs for a roller because they are to aggresive and need more spring pressure. i was reading a artical saying the best cam to find would be the one that has the tightest duration and the most lift that your heads can flow. so in my situation my heads flow max at .600 of lift. so  the cam i was looking at would be cranes ZHR-296-2S-12. specs are 234 242 duration and .610 .632 lift on 112 lobe seperation.  the motor chould have over 10 to 1 comp so  what would you think for power and what would i need to change to get more  

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/09/13 12:42 AM

i had some fun with the camquest6 cam picker/dyno sim with you in mind... so i punched in 402 chevy [stock bore/stroke] 10 to 1 compression, performer rpm oval heads with 2.19 x 1.88 valves, large tube headers/open exhaust, dual plane high flow manifold,drag race level 5 solid roller cam part #11-773-8[10] 254-260 degrees duration at 50, 0.660-0.666 inch valve lift, 110 degrees LSA, 850 cfm carb on gas, and it spit out.... 605 horse power @6,500 rpm, 545 LBS FT @5,000 rpm!  it probably makes about 540 horses give or take. i would recommend 2.125 inch tube headers, a wilson combo spacer and 1,000 cfm holley 4150 type carb or a predator carb and one inch open spacer. when i changed to a 1,000 carb the numbers changed to 615 h.p. and 550 LBS FT. .... good luck with whatever YOU choose bro!  

dond1965
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/09/13 02:46 PM

p.s. a rev-kit will help reduce your total vale spring load requirements, and increase valve, retainer, and push rod life [plus if any thing goes wrong above the lifter, they keep the lifters in their bores so they wont kill the cam lobes]. you also need to use roller rockers, either shaft mount type or freestanding units combined with a super quality stud girdle for best longevity/reliability! p.s. if i remember i once heard some one asking about port matching the manifold to the heads, but the response [supposedly from edelbrock] was NO... you might want to consult edelbrock about that today, but note the manifold still has oval ports to this day!  

garrettfisk
Posted: 01/31/14 08:54 PM

So I have done done research and the intake that cane in the kit will Not fit under my hood.  I'm not going to spend 1500 $ for a high rise one.  So I am wondering what would be the best intake for my motor. Was wondering about the torquer 2 or if some one knows some thing else that would help allot.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 01/31/14 10:30 PM

How about the Edelbrock 7561 - Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifold $279.97

http://www.summitracing.com/int/search/product-line/edelbrock-performer-rpm-air-gap-intake-manifolds/make/chevrolet

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

garrettfisk
Posted: 01/31/14 11:28 PM

only problem with that intake is that it is higher then alot of single plane intakes. was wonder if anybody knows of a low profile intake that still flows alright. i know im giving away HPs but is it worth a 1500$ for a new hood.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 02/01/14 12:00 AM

Big Block Chevy Polished Aluminum Intake Oval Port Dual Plane Cyclone $145.99

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/big-chevy-intake

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

joe-
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 02/01/14 09:29 AM

have you considered using a drop base air cleaner?    it should help with hood clearance issues.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/afc-80550/overview/  
joe-

123 Last
TO TOP