Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Muncie 4 speed in to C4 Corvette

Corvette-Bob-62
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/21/10 12:37 PM

Muncie 4 speed in to C4 Corvette

Hi, I have a C4 automatic Corvette that I would like to convert to a Muncie 4 speed for track use.

Has anyone out there done this swap that could give me some pointers?

Bob  
92 6 speed convertible
89 coupe
87 coupe
83 380 SL

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 09/21/10 05:52 PM

what year C4???

early C4s came with a 4+3 transmission...  which is a T10 front with an automatic section that is controlled by the ecm...

so dropping a muncie into a C4.. but i don't know if there is a torque arm from the differential that needs to be hooked up to the back of the transmission...    or to the  transmission crossmember...

here is what the 4+3 shift linkage looks like... not that it will help.. but you can move the image to the right and see where the torque arm bolts to the back of the transmission...   and thats going to give you trouble...

so .. i don't know if its legal... but you might want to look at how the 5 speed C4's and C5's handled the torque arm... maybe end up with a 5 speed case... with the overdrive locked out..  if thats what it takes...
i spend most of my time under the hoods so i don't get under them much....

4Speedshifter

there are 2 specific corvette magazines on this site also... along with all the other C4 coverage spread out...

Hot rod even has video on their site of a C4.. the chopped away at to improve lap times..   they used sawzalls...   sledge hammers...     body weight...  to remove parts...

this is the link to the long video of the corvette hack

http://www.hotrod.com/multimedia/hot_rod_videos/7257/hot-rod-corvette-hack-the-long-version/index.html

i seem to be one of the few answering questions on the corvette mags forums...

click my user name for some links...

i wonder how much weight you can sand from under the hood... and inner body panels....  

ram689
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/19/13 07:14 PM

The muncie is an old gearbox most would be well worn by now never buy 2nd hand ive had one and they are crap, slow to shift and no good for what you want.i also have a c4 vette auto and as the tpi 350 is slow to rev you need at least 5 gears to stay in the powerband also i think you will have to change the engine ecu and the powerchip as they are for either auto or manual hope this helps good luck Ram689 see ya  

68scott385
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/20/13 01:12 PM

nearly 3 year old thread  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

TO TOP