Ad Radar
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

th350 on my 4x4

wmc1369
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/22/10 07:50 AM

Having problems with my th350 on my '82 1/2 ton 4x4 and am hoping someone here can give me some advise short of pulling the tranny for a rebuild. It's frequently very slow to shift into gear when first starting out, and on the highway, it won't upshift at all into 3rd. Yesterday, while driving to an area to do do some elk hunting, going 45mph, it kicked out of gear on me completely. Once stopped on the roadside, it went back into first, but wouldn't upshift out of first again. I pampered it home as best I could on the trails. Driving the trails around here in 1st you'd never know anything was wrong.

Now I did come on here and do some reading before asking for some newbie help. My modulator is brand new, and the vacuum pressure to it is holding at about 14.5 in/HG (I measured at both the intake and trans and pressure was the same). I pulled the governor as well. The valve down the center is moving fine, the springs and little plastic gear also seem to be in good shape. I also changed the fluid/filter about 100 miles ago when the shifting problem was just first starting. I haven't tried readjusting my kickdown cable, but from my reading on here, I don't think that'd be the problem. I'm now at a loss of anything else to try.

Anyone have any ideas that wouldn't involve pulling my trans out? I could probably figure something out, but I'm in a wheelchair, so pulling the trans out would present some unique complications. Thanks for any help anyone my have, and thanks to all whose other posts lead me to checking all that I did.  

gettnlarge01
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 09/22/10 03:51 PM

given everything you've done it sounds like the trans needs a rebuild  
luck is when skill and opportunity meet

wmc1369
Posted: 09/22/10 05:46 PM

Yea, that's pretty much the conclusion I've drawn. I'm going to try to pick up a decent, used, th400 when I get paid on the 1st of next month. I'm done getting to take advantage of the disabled hunting season extension unfortunately, but I need it running by the general season open on the 9th of next month.  

zman123
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 09/23/10 11:45 AM

I changed my trans in my 77 Chev 4x4 to a 700R4 have not been sorry one minute. You can do it for about the same money as having the 350 rebuilt and 1st and 2nd gears are a little lower too. The overdrive is great on the hiway too!  

wmc1369
Posted: 09/23/10 02:15 PM

We've talked about that some b/c I've got a 700R4 in my suburban that's sitting parked right now. I just don't really want to turn it into a parts vehicle. Good to hear though. I'll ask about that when I'm calling around for pricing. Thanks.  

gettnlarge01
Posted: 09/23/10 03:25 PM

if your changing over to turbo400 make sure you get the adapter for the transfercase with it. The turbo400 has as 6bolts and the turbo350 only has 4bolts  
luck is when skill and opportunity meet

wmc1369
Posted: 09/24/10 12:22 PM

Well, I'm going to drain the trans, pull the exhaust, drive shafts, and t-case out this afternoon so dropping my trans tomorrow shouldn't be too hard I hope. A guy who runs a local trans shop said since I'm a disabled Vet, if I bring it in to him, he'll pull it apart, teach me about the inner workings, and diagnose the problem for free. Then of course I'll either be buying another trans off him or paying him to fix this one.

Though a th400 would be stronger for a lot of the hard trails I ride, and a 700r4 would give me much better gas mileage, I'm pretty sure I won't be changing what model of trans I have unless a too good to pass up offer lands in my lap, or I come across even more detailed info as to where I could get the various needed parts (driveshafts, crossmembers, ect). I am glad that there was so much info on such swaps in these forums to inform me before I got into such a project.  

skyeking
Posted: 09/24/10 04:29 PM

Hi there,
I cannot see you losing either way. Good luck.
You deserve a fair deal..Skyeking
Any ?? then ask Olde Rusty Nutts..He has it all together.
Hi Peter...All the very best from N in Oz...  
skyeking

wmc1369
Posted: 09/24/10 05:39 PM

Thanks Skyeking. I'm going to be asking the trans guy Monday about the 700r4 swap b/c the thought of getting better gas mileage is REALLY tempting! Most posts I've read talk about at least a 30% boost in mpg. Considering my other truck ('82 3/4 ton Chevy) has a 496 bbc and is sitting on 35's (soon to be 37's), I really like the idea of at least one truck getting some decent mileage.

This is my first time ever dropping an auto trans (I've pulled probably a dozen manuals), but got everything ready today to hopefully get it dropped tomorrow. Only steps left is unbolting the tc and the trans itself. Had to cut out the exhaust so now I've got a good excuse with the wife for finally putting in true dual straight pipes!  Grin  

wmc1369
Posted: 09/29/10 06:46 AM

Spent some time with a tape measure the other day comparing my 1/2 ton truck to my Suburban, and don't see any reason I can't steal the trans, t-case, crossmember and driveshafts from the Suburban and be able to bolt them right in to the truck to give me a 700r4 in the pickup. in exchange for labor, I'm giving what's left of the Suburban to a neighbor (a deal he got excited about). So I guess I'll soon be on the hunt for another Suburban. I'll keep notes of how this swap over goes and post about it later.  

skyeking
Posted: 09/29/10 11:54 PM

Best of luck..Full time..Skyeking  
skyeking

skyeking
Posted: 09/29/10 11:54 PM

Best of luck..Full time..Skyeking  
skyeking

wmc1369
Posted: 09/30/10 09:06 AM

ok, I got my driveshafts pulled out of both the pickup and the suburban and got the steering columns swapped out yesterday. I did some real debating on whether or not swapping the columns was worth it b/c with the linkages disconnected, there's no noticeable difference you feel when moving the shifter arm. However, I then actually measured how far the shifter arms moved and the one out of the suburban (with the factory 700r4) has almost 1.5 inches more up and down movement than the one out of the truck that was intended for the th350.

Today will be spent doing some electrical work and putting in a new PRND indicator that includes the extra setting for overdrive. The '87 Subs column wiring is somewhat different than the '82 truck's, so I'll be setting the wiring up to use the column mounted wiper switch instead of the dash one, and using the column mounted hi/low beam switch instead of the floor one. The wiper I'm changing b/c it gives me a good place on the dash to mount my driving lights switch. The hi/low beam switch I'm changing b/c I'm scheduled to have my left foot fused first of next year and I won't be able to use the floor switch after that. There's a few other differences that are even less important, like the hot to the buzzer I already took out. None of the wiring changes are critical, and anyone should be able to swap these columns without messing with it depending on their personal preferences. Another electrical difference I noticed was that the '87's schematic doesn't show (and I couldn't physically find) a neutral safety switch. The typical one on the bottom of the column was there for the '87, but it serves only as a reverse light switch. So I swapped those out between the columns.

Tomorrow (VA payday!) I'll be going to buy my transmission jack and hopefully get both trannys, t-cases and crossmembers removed and the 700r4 setup ready to put in the truck as soon as my new torque converter comes in from summit. Once they're in, I've ordered a new dual exhaust system that will be waiting to be the final thing installed before I can hopefully start driving the truck and hitting the trails again.  

skyeking
Posted: 09/30/10 04:39 PM

HI there,
 It sounds like you have really got your act together..[Good one Boris]  
skyeking

frotosride
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 09/30/10 08:20 PM

Just curious. what t-case was backing the th350. i know that in 87 the 700r4 was backed by a np208 which despite it's chain drive can still handle some abuse or at least mines held up..so far..  
"Beat it like a red-headed FORD"

123 Last
TO TOP