Item Posts    Sort Order

Help needed for my Impala!

ChevImpala1970
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/04/10 02:51 AM

Hi, I currently live in a small town in Zimbabwe (Southern Africa) and am new in here. I recently bought a 1970 Impala Custom Coupe with a 350 cid engine (5.7 ltr). The car had been parked (and almost forgotten) by the last owner for 14 years.

My bush mechanic has put in a new carb kit, new plugs and cables (all of which I could buy only in the U.S. They are not available here). The engine fires but idles rough. The mechnaic says valves could be sticking due non-usage for years. Two of the cylinders appears to be misfiring and two of the plugs get fouled with oil. All the cable connections to the distributor are correct. new condensor also is in.

While the mechanic says rings will have to be replaced and valves need to be ground, I believe that I should drive the car around the block for a few days to see if the valves ease up and the problem goes away.

My next visit to US will be only in October when I can buy gaskets, rings, etc. - if needed.

Meanwhile, what can be done to figure out what is wrong with the engine? Any advice will be of great help as there is hardly any modern tools or workshop to fix cars in this country! How can I ease the valves -if they are sticking, without opening the valve covers?

Cheers!
Anith  

rworley6641
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/05/11 04:30 PM

I believe a compression check is in order here. If you have oil on two of the plugs, you are probably losing seal to the combustion chamber.  Could be any number of things; but oil to the firing chamber has to be valve stems worn out; piston or ring broke or cracked. That is not a good thing; how many miles on the engine?  

TO TOP