Item Posts    Sort Order

Rear disc brake brake conversion

fvh67
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/13/10 08:31 AM

I am racing a 1981 chev malibu in road racing events with the ChumpCar world series. would like to add rear disc brakes cheaply considering the dollar limits in the series rules. Will rear disc brakes from an Olds Bravada adapt easily? The rear in the Malibu is a 7.5" 10 bolt . Thanks Vince  

frotosride
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 09/13/10 09:52 PM

Easy is depending on if you think pulling the axles is easy. Other than that the actual rotor shouldn't be a problem but mounting the caliper is the main issue. If the mounts on the bravada are removable and can be welded to the g-body's axle and maintain the proper clearances then it shouldn't be a prob. this is one that will take some hands on and measuring to be safe..So when you remove the backing plate from those drums do it right and take the axle out so if it doesn't line up you can put them back on. Don't know if this was much help but my advice would be to give the caliper mounts on the bravada a shot on one side to check for clearances.  
"Beat it like a red-headed FORD"

frotosride
Posted: 09/13/10 10:04 PM

Oh and back spacing may become an issue with the calipers...  

frotosride
Posted: 09/13/10 10:45 PM

check this link out maybe it will help you make a decision

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/ccrp_0805_gm_drum_brake_to_disc_brake_swap/index.html  

TO TOP