Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Went to the races last night.

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 09/12/10 07:51 PM

Used to go quite a bit but this was the first time in about 9 months that I went to the strip.
There were some pretty good cars running in my old class and a couple were in the 4.20s in the 1/8.
I heard that the guy I bought one of my short blocks from is still having trouble with motors. He has a Billet block and is still hurting things with that. The short block he sold to me must have had 5 sets of pistons burned out in it when he had it. I burned up none. I also heard that the motor I used to have was wiped on the first pass by some other dufus that eventually bought it.
There are sure a lot of guys out there with more money than brains.
I qualified for every race and made numerous passes with a motor that the first owner had a lot of trouble with. I cannot understand trying to squeeze every last ounce of power out of a motor when most of the time the track will not take it???? Sure puzzles me. Confused  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

tuffnuff
Posted: 09/12/10 08:44 PM

My overview is simply this Dave,,, a little bit of knowledge is dangerous,,, because if you have no knowledge at all,,, you ask for direction. My days of lunching engines ended many years ago,,, why,,, because I learned how to take direction,,, now we are at an age where we can give direction,,, but only to receptive ears.
I still run into young lads on this forum, that get offended, when offered forthright truth,,, they take offence and our only option is to leave them in everlasting ignorance,,,
their attitude will never make them winners, at least not in this lifetime,,, the smart azz chippy ones know who they are,,, without mentioning names.
I usually ignore their posts, for the most part...
Doing things right is the reward we call victory,,, doing things wrong, results in the agony of defeat,,, always

Grin  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

ethelkilledfred-#001
Posted: 09/12/10 11:10 PM

Did they have any OUTLAW 8.5 Tire cars running at those races? Bad MoFo's

OUTLAW 8.5 Tire
?Url=Http%3A%2F%2Fimg Youtube

-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

Dave632
Posted: 09/13/10 12:58 PM

Icon Quotetuffnuff:
My overview is simply this Dave,,, a little bit of knowledge is dangerous,,, because if you have no knowledge at all,,, you ask for direction. My days of lunching engines ended many years ago,,, why,,, because I learned how to take direction,,, now we are at an age where we can give direction,,, but only to receptive ears.
I still run into young lads on this forum, that get offended, when offered forthright truth,,, they take offence and our only option is to leave them in everlasting ignorance,,,
their attitude will never make them winners, at least not in this lifetime,,, the smart azz chippy ones know who they are,,, without mentioning names.
I usually ignore their posts, for the most part...
Doing things right is the reward we call victory,,, doing things wrong, results in the agony of defeat,,, always

Grin

So true Tuff.
I certainly was ignorant in the past and blew many a part. I did however learn from my mistakes and listened to those in the know.
The result was that I won some events against much quicker and faster cars by being consistent and getting down the track almost every time. I got the reputation of being a little smarter than the average bear.
One of the guys I talked about, the one I bought the motor off of, is a friend of mine and I tried to give him some advice. I think he is blinded by a power complex.
Incidentally that is a 10,000 block he is giving fits to. Tongue

EKF:
Did they have any OUTLAW 8.5 Tire cars running at those races? Bad MoFo's

That was a good video.
They have added some new classes since the last time I went.
One was called outlaw 632 and the other was called real street. Both were heads up classes but I do not know the rules to either. The real street cars had some tiny tires on the back which may have been 8.5s. A couple of them still managed to get some low 5 second times in the 5.20-5.30 range.
One other surprise was the elimination of the 10.5 class.  

WRIGHTRACING
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 09/14/10 10:41 PM

I think you are talking the Orlando FL area. If so those guys got rid of 10.5 because the big money guys spent it out of there reach in that area. O/L 632 is a lot the same, with just a 632 limit, and a few other rules. FL REAL STREET, is a lot like ORTC Ultimate Street and ORSCA Modified Street. 440ci SB, single plate, or F1C, or 80MM turbo. These cars make roughly 11-1200 hp and are on a 275/60 or 28x10.5 non w slick. They are definatelty the new era of drag racing, along with X275.  
WRIGHTRACING

www.outlawracing.com
www.dragraceplace.com
www.ndrra.com

Dave632
Posted: 05/08/11 08:42 PM

Unfortunately big money in racing will always be a problem.
Any heads up class will find somebody with big money who will throw mucho cash at their car in order to win. Rule restrictions will hold this down to some extent.
Look at any of the NHRA Pro classes and you see nothing but multi million dollar operations, same with NASCAR. Even street car racing classes which started out fairly low budget has gone fully big dollar.
I like racing and always will but you can buy your way to a quick car with little knowledge. I built tuned and drove my own car against many who had a lot more cash than me with decent success which should count for something.
As a comparison I must say when playing pool all the money in the world will not make you a better player. You might be able to buy some good instruction and play on the best table with all the best equipment but if you have no skill you will fall on your face. With car racing you can have someone build your car and have someone more talented than you drive it better than you can. Calling yourself a winner when doing things that way sure seems a stretch.  

Dave632
Posted: 08/13/12 10:01 AM

Just looked at this old thread from over a year ago. It still puzzles me how little racing is referred to on this site.
I will probably take my slow little S-10 down the track just to run down the track again. Lets see if I take the little V-6 out is there room for a BB?? I am sure I could get an LS in there, hmmmm.  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 08/13/12 12:18 PM

a BB or LS would be cool. Cool   you still got your welder Dave?  i did a SBC s-10 and never could get any traction, even with 12inch wide mickey thompson indy profiles out back.  i had planned to go down to sunshine dragstrip by now but with the move, its kinda on the back burner now.  i did score a helmet for $25.oo from a buddy.  i forgot and left it at his house though. Tongue  Grin   it looks brand new,  an HJC.  i do have a buddy with a towing company and he called me yesterday saying he wants to take his mustang to sunshine.  its a small block with nitrous. hes never raced it before. it would be fun to go down there together and race.  how are the tracks up your way?  

jake67c10
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 08/13/12 02:52 PM

bigblock s10 Cool  ive seen a few on youtube, most people put the radiator in, not behind the core support lol, puting a bigblock in an s10 would probably be described as putting on a shoe that was just the right size  
[Chevrolet... Singin the song of the south]

Dave632
Posted: 08/13/12 06:51 PM

JOE: Yes I still have my Miller Tig/Arc welder but it has been sitting around for well over a year now without any use. Sounds like a fun trip to the track, take some pixs. There are about 4 tracks within an hours drive from here and I have not been there yet, we keep planning it and either my son has to work or it rains.
JAKE: I have to quell my mad impulses as I don't have the money I once had. The little 200hp V-6 does OK for a 2 cylinder cut off 350 but I need about another 4 or 500hp to make me happy. I wonder if a Big Chief 11.0 deck engine would fit in that S10. I think the valve covers would stick out the hood. The engine in the Beretta was a 10.6 deck with big chiefs the valve covers were close to the hood.  

pepsi1
Posted: 08/14/12 12:36 PM

Dave,Tuffnuff,Redneckjoe, +3 for all of your observations.

I guess we old school guys will be around when the high dollar stuff is Junk. I read an article in Engine Master's that quoted, Sonny Leonard he said he's selling more High Dollar engines this year then ever before. He wasn't talking about the $30,000 to $40,000 engines either. He went on to say it's the $70,000 to $100,000 high priced spread.

He said his business is now with the guy who wants to buy an engine, put it in his car,and do nothing more then set the valves and the basic things. These are the guys he said that don't have the "time" do anything more then go to the track back the car out, go to tech, and then run it week after week....

That's the price of a house in some areas of the country...It's deffinetly more then my first house. Nearly 3X's as much...My 2 Cents.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 12/08/12 02:01 PM

Must be nice to have that kind of money to spend on a hobby/or passion.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

redneckjoe69
Posted: 12/09/12 05:21 AM

+1 Tuff!    

good to see you around! Cool  

Dave632
Posted: 12/09/12 10:09 AM

Icon Quoteredneckjoe69:
+1 Tuff!    

good to see you around! Cool

Agreed.
Boy this is an old post brought back to life.
I remember when I was running, some of the guys came in with trailers
big as a house, had a spare motor sitting in the trailer, and I had a 24' job crammed with everything. Tongue
Heads up racing is always a big money deal even at a local track like
I ran. However you still need knowledge and driving skill to win some
races.
I never qualified 1st or 2nd but I was always there for the last
couple of rounds running conservatively, getting down the track and going rounds.
That's my son Dave there holding his ears after lining me up and yes he does have
a Ford dealer uniform on.
Th MVC 038S 3  

TO TOP