Item Posts    Sort Order

VIN for 1957 Chevy Bel Air

blackrivercustoms
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/13/10 07:25 AM

Can anyone tell us where the VIN # is actually stamped onto the body of a 57 Bel Air?  The plate is missing, but know there should be one stamped somewhere on the body itself.  Thanks!  

theshop66
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/06/14 05:08 AM

Just to update, can someone know the answer this question?  I need to know the same thing.  Thanks.

John  

tuffnuff
Posted: 04/06/14 09:11 AM

This is what I've sourced out, and might help you guys.,.
The body plate number, at least for the 1957 Chevrolet passenger models, isn't related with the completed vehicle VIN number. The number on the data plate on the firewall is a Fisher body division plant serial number and was an assigned number for the body only. If you've seen one that's the same as the tail-end of the VIN, it's just coincidence. Chevrolet division assigned the VIN numbers for the completed vehicle separately from Fisher assigning body numbers. This may have changed later, but that's how it was in 1957.
The VIN number assigned by Chevrolet was hand-stamped onto a stainless steel plate with the word 'CHEVROLET' pre-stamped into the top of the blank plates and was spot welded onto the body after delivery from the Fisher body plant. The Chevrolet plant also stamped the VIN number, exactly and completely the same as on the VIN plate on the door jamb, into the frame in two places on top of the frame rail on the drivers side. One near where the door length ends, in the two door case, and the other near where the back seat starts (again in the two door case length wise). But it's next to impossible to see without taking the body off the frame.
These stampings in the frame have been on the light impression side, and are really hard to read, until you clean off the accumulated debris from the top rail of the frame as well. Removing the body isn't enough, you then need to get out the wire brush.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

shyrgfuh3
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/06/14 09:33 PM

you can clean the frame with scotchbrite or 400 sand paper and water.

get a mirror to hold on bottom of floor.

get a maglite and shine it on the mirror to see the number.

have fun!  

tuffnuff
Posted: 04/07/14 09:43 AM

Good idea that will probably work great.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

shyrgfuh3
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/08/14 05:49 PM

double vision  

shyrgfuh3
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/08/14 05:49 PM

Icon Quotetuffnuff:
Good idea that will probably work great.

Smile

hello tuffnuff;

well i don't know about great but it does work, lol.

also if it is done in the shade or dark area, it is easier to see the numbers.  

TO TOP