Ad Radar
12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Angled or straight plug heads...

frotosride
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 07/06/10 10:39 PM

trying to decide between two alum, set of heads price isn't the issue but my only question is what are the advantages/dis of each head. why straight over angled plugs or likewise. any help?  
"Beat it like a red-headed FORD"

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/06/10 11:29 PM

i would make sure.. that if i was choosing angle plug heads.. that there are headers designed for that exact head for your application..

and if there are headers for the straight plugs heads.. for your chassis application..

that is one of the biggest problems..    burned spark plug wires..    having to use short spark plugs.. having to use a special open sided spark plug socket to get the plugs in and out.

having to loosen the headers to get the plugs out..  

Dave632
Posted: 07/07/10 06:15 AM

+1, I don't think there is any performance advantage between straight or angled plug heads. Plug wires hitting headers and plug removal should be the deciding factor.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

ethelkilledfred-#001
Posted: 07/07/10 07:13 AM

Icon QuoteDave632:
+1, I don't think there is any performance advantage between straight or angled plug heads. Plug wires hitting headers and plug removal should be the deciding factor.

+1

IMO- The advantage is alittle and may not worth the trouble if it does not fit and you have to spend $700 - $1600 for custom headers

When Chevrolet first introduced angle plug heads the purpose was to place the spark plug in a location and angle for better burn in the chamber. This in fact produced more power. After the introduction of this modification, many highly modified straight plug heads were converted to angle plugs per the factory print. The results were any where from 8 to 15 ft. pds. of torque. The variation in power was do to piston dome shape and comp. ratio. The added benifit of this update prolonged the use of heads that had been ported and polished at great expence. Spark plug to header clearance has never been a concern of the engine manufacturers. by: VJC  7/1/2009

-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

chevman24
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/07/10 07:45 AM

I recently purchased a set of aluminum heads(dart pro 1's). I bought the angle plug heads thinking, more power. Well the number 7 and 8 spark plugs wouldnt even thread into the heads with the headers installed. Luckily for me i bought them from a local shop and they were willing to trade for straight plug heads. They hadnt been mounted or fired(used) at all.
From research on other forums. The common answer about a hp/tq difference between angle and straight plug heads is a gain you wouldnt even recognize. What i was told (by salesmen and dart employees)was that the aftermarket companies move the spark plug during testing to a location that makes the most power anyways. Making the hp/tq difference irrelevant. Angle plug heads sound all "exotic" (to me they did) but honestly are not really worth the extra money that you need to spend on "exotic" headers to match angle plug heads. You could just go buy a set of Lemons headers to match those angle heads but they will cost you about 1200 bucks.  

frotosride
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 07/07/10 02:43 PM

these are the heads:70cc Angled Plug Assembled SB Chevy Performer RPM Head

these are the headers: Douh thorley tri-y headers thy-364y3 $754

looking at the cost i think im going to spend a few more dollars on the heads and just get straight plugs...
thanks guys  
"Beat it like a red-headed FORD"

Skylark
Posted: 07/07/10 02:57 PM

The old angeled plug design was to clear a flame Path with pop up pistons.no need to detail this Unless you ask. on low compression Under 11-12-to 1 they are a waste of money. on full tilt engines they work. were street people here so no need to spend money for all that.  

Skylark
Posted: 07/07/10 02:57 PM

The old angeled plug design was to clear a flame Path with pop up pistons.no need to detail this Unless you ask. on low compression Under 11-12-to 1 they are a waste of money. on full tilt engines they work. were street people here so no need to spend money for all that.  

tyler659
Posted: 07/14/10 05:32 PM

i recently swapped motors in my 74 el co and i straight plug cast heads and went to trick flow Aluminum angle plug heads the the wires and plugs were easier to access and everything fit nicely.  
tyler659

68scott385
Posted: 07/14/10 06:03 PM

what brand/size headers did you use?
do they fit the frame well or are they tight?  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

tyler659
Posted: 07/14/10 06:54 PM

they were off ebay and they are a tight fit  
tyler659

Schum
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/15/10 03:49 PM

I have a set of AFR 190 cc angle plug heads and Headman 1 3/4 inch headers and everything fits nice. No clearance problems. I used the same heads and Dynomax 1 5/8 headers and they were real close on a few plugs. I had to dent a few tubes. The Dynomax headers fit the GM angle plug heads on my ZZ3 with no clearance problems. The plugs must be in different positions.  

agawam
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/16/10 08:58 PM

I ran a 327 some years ago in my corvette, I did some experimenting with spark plugs, these are the differences I found, the distributor was an HEI GM with a three weld coil and 7mm wires, the engine was a hi end street motor,.... stock chevy plugs  non taper seat needed replacing around 1000 miles(perfomance falling off)045 gap on 035 plugs...changed to oldsmobile plugs same heat range 045 gap on 045 gap plugs mileage went to about 2500miles and felt like more power...olds plugs indexed toward exhaust valve(electrode opening facing the exhaust)this seemed to be the best for power acceleration and smooth running, plugs lasted about 2500mi.heads were stock 186 castings non taper straight plug heads,no I never dyno'd the engine,but when you build it and tune it you can tell when something works and when it doesen't.just something to think about,never played with angle pluggers on any of my engines, had some friends who had them,never saw any advantage  

skyeking
Posted: 07/17/10 05:58 PM

Hi there,
Not many people index the spark plugs these days.
..Good luck..Skyeking.....  
skyeking

agawam
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/17/10 07:33 PM

well the vette was my masterpiece, had it for 19 years, 1979  that I completely redid from ground up my way,an absolutly phenominal car that did everything I asked of it,had it a shop I was renting and the landlord needed cash I guess so he burned the place down with my vette and awhole bunch of other stuff including all my bodyshop tools and equiptment customers cars,and the insurance company paid his fathers company the check, he owed his fathers company three times the payoff so he and me got nothing, lawyers told me I was out of luck when I tried to go after my share because his father had died and the brothers didn't include him in the business,blacksheep that he was..a me I had to start all over from the beginning  

12 Last
TO TOP