Item Posts    Sort Order

Self aligning vs Non self aligning roller rockers

chevman24
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 06/30/10 08:24 PM

I tried posting this topic already and it didnt show hopefully this isnt a double post.

I have a set of Crane Gold race roller rockers that ive used on several engines. Ive inspected the rockers each time and everything is in working order. I bought them about 10 years ago.

My question is: what kind of problems would i have if i used self aliging rockers with guideplates? What is the actual difference between the 2 rockers? I dont see it causing too many problems. Im assuming that self aligning rockers just have more play in the bearings to help them adjust to movement in the valvetrain.
I would rather not put washers under the rocker studs to make up for the lack of a guideplate being there.

Thanks for your input! Grin  

68scott385
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 06/30/10 08:31 PM

guideplates or self-aligning rockers but never both
the s/a rockers have a raised piece on either side of the roller tip so the tip aligns itself with the valve stem
guide plates guide the pushrods so they "steer" the rockers in the right path

i know i'm makin' a mess of this
wheres tuff and pman  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

ethelkilledfred-#001
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 07/01/10 12:54 AM

Icon Quotechevman24:
I tried posting this topic already and it didnt show hopefully this isnt a double post.

I have a set of Crane Gold race roller rockers that ive used on several engines. Ive inspected the rockers each time and everything is in working order. I bought them about 10 years ago.

My question is: what kind of problems would i have if i used self aliging rockers with guideplates? What is the actual difference between the 2 rockers? I dont see it causing too many problems. Im assuming that self aligning rockers just have more play in the bearings to help them adjust to movement in the valvetrain.
I would rather not put washers under the rocker studs to make up for the lack of a guideplate being there.

Thanks for your input! Grin

Push rods could bind and bend or break. You don't put washers inbetween the studs and the heads, you buy longer studs they sell just for that propuse on the rocker side. They make longer studs on the head side and those could bottom out and crack the thread boss. If your threads are to long on the head side the make shorter studs for that purpose also, you also grind the stud down but they may not work with guide plates cause they too short and pull the threads out. They usually do work unless you over ground them. Check first, your studs may work fine with out guide plates unless you can not run enough threads on you rocker nut to keep them safely on.  
-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

Pontiacman2
Posted: 07/01/10 05:18 AM

Use one or the other.
The self aligning has the roller tip more recessed into the rocker and allows the rocker to use the valve stem to keep it aligned were the non self aligning the roller tip is not recessed and will need guide plates.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

chevman24
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/01/10 01:31 PM

Thanks guys! Non-self aligning rockers it is. I have already tried to screw the studs in. They wont thread into the head all the way so that they are flush, so they are designed to be used with guideplates. Ill just bite the bullet and get some Comp ultra pro magnum or pro magnum stainless steel rockers. I think im better off that way anyways. Ill have a stronger rocker. Id like to go shaft rockers but everyone knows how that goes. Maybe next year!  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 07/01/10 01:55 PM

Are you buying roller rockers?  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

chevman24
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/01/10 02:17 PM

Yeah. Im going to buy full roller rockers

Id like these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-1104-16/

But may end up with these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-1601-16/

Or something similar. Cool  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 07/02/10 05:45 AM

Up to you but I would look into the Harland sharps.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

chevman24
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/02/10 01:41 PM

Besides price whats the difference? The Ultra pro magnums have a lifetime garentee and i doubt id break a stainless rocker. My crane(aluminum)gold race rockers have held up fine also so brand or construction doesnt really matter or so it seems.  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 07/02/10 02:06 PM

They are aluminum is about the only difference.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

chevman24
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 07/06/10 07:17 AM

Thanks guys. this is what i needed though. The one on the left is the self-aligning rocker. I actually do have the non-self aligning type.
http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b413/chevman24/vemp_0703_11_zcorvette_rocker_armsr.jpg  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 07/06/10 07:28 AM

Yes it is.
No problem  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

TO TOP