Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

LONG ROD 350

JIMTHEWELDER
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/07/10 04:11 AM

I HAVE A  3.48 STROKE 4340 CHROMOLY LIGHT WIEGHT CRANK,LUNATI 4.030 LUN-131UB2L3 4032 ALLOY 20CC DISHED PISTONS , EAGLE SIR BUSHED 6.125 RODS, AND A STUDDED HALF FILLED 010 FOUR BOLT MAIN BLOCK.  THIS WAS TO BE USED AS A BLOWER MOTOR FOR MY 55 STUDE CHAMPION. I ELECTED TO BUILD A 406 INSTEAD. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT OTHER USES THIS LOWER END WOULD BE GOOD FOR. IT IS ALL NEW.  THANK FOR YOUR INPUT  JIM  

tuffnuff
Posted: 06/07/10 06:14 AM

A long rod engine has advantages as well as disadvantages,,,
The advantage is that it provides a longer dwell time for the piston at or near TDC to maximize combustion pressure. The rod angle is also improved over stock geometry.
The disadvantage is that the benefit of longer dwell time at TDC,,, becomes a hindrance at BDC, as wasted time.
The short skirt on a long rod does does not lend itself for street use because it will rock and lose ring seal much sooner than a longer skirted piston.
The half filled block would be OK in my opinion, since all your heat is generated in the top half of your block.
A boost engine, such as your's should stay that way,,, so stay with boost or heavy nitrous for your build.
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

JIMTHEWELDER
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/07/10 08:00 AM

thanks thats about the same line of thinking i had, maybe a turbo /nitrous toy for  weekend.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 06/07/10 09:46 AM

You welcome Jim
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

TO TOP