Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Magnaflux?

Flatspin
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/24/10 01:55 PM

For anyone interested, I posted an article, "Removing the Mystery of Magnaflux" at the following

Removing the Mystery of Magnaflux  

hillclimber1
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 05/24/10 05:57 PM

They used to do mine after they cleaned them.. I was allowed to watch, and if a crack showed up, it was very obvious.. I can't remember what they charged, but it couldn't have been much, because we did every set.. Saves a lot of time and trouble.  Usually had the block sonic tested at the same time if there was a lot of boring slated.  .030 was good, but would check of .040 or .060 was needed.. Not to many were good for .060.  

Flatspin
Posted: 05/25/10 04:49 AM

Interesting that they ultrasonically tested them, heads would have very limited areas where UT would be practical, I'd love to have seen which areas they did. I used to test the cranks out of John Force and Kenny Bernsteins engines after they'd had the hard chrome stripped off; we were also a USAC Inspection Station so I did all of Emerson Fitipaldis F1 rims.  

ethelkilledfred-#001
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 05/25/10 06:04 AM

cool article.
What made you write it?
I've delt with my machine shop for 25 years and never thought about what other people go through. When I get used heads I get charged for cleaning, mag and preasure check. If the heads come up broken they lose money from labor to recondition them and the heads go to the scrap yard. They don't sell parts, just machine them. Now big blosk heads are cracked more time than not. I run them anyway and every time the motor come apart I recheck them to make sure the cracks don't get too big or run the motor with no water(it's a race motor).  
-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

Flatspin
Posted: 10/02/12 01:09 PM

Sorry for the delay, life gets in the way sometimes.

In answer to why I wrote it, one day I was working on my own vehicle and recalled back when I had to pull the heads on my old '72 Ford Gran Torino Sport with a 351 Cleveland, my oil looked like chocolate milkshake.

This was many years before I learned to do NDT and I remember how, being ignorant of whatever this magical fluxing thing was that they were doing, I just accepted what the shop said. They made it sound more like electricity leaped from the heads where the cracks were, so I started wondering if they even knew what they were doing.  

pepsi1
Posted: 10/03/12 12:14 AM

Heay Flatspin welcome to CHP:

That's a great post! I hope the guy's that don't know the in's and out's of a full service  machine shop will go through to help their customer's. I hope someone makes it a sticky.... Grin  Cool

Doing the ultrasonic cleaning is really a way to scubb the cracks and crevisis. If there is any grit or junk hiding in a crack or crevisis this will get it out of there. You should wear ear protection near any ultra sonic cleaner because of the ultra high frequency could really damage your ears..  Blush  Laugh  

Bob  

pepsi1
Posted: 10/03/12 02:01 AM

Wouldn't you rather spend $60 for example then $600 and whind up throwing the heads away anyway.

There are still very minut sracks we won't find, even with XRAY. Case in point. Back in the day a friend spent alot of money having this 350 Chevy sonic checked inside and out. All the machine shop work,and all the cleaning was done.

We assembled the engine for the last time. They installed the engine and I went back Saturday afternoon to make some final adjustments, and he was going to do some burn-outs. Now this was a tunnel engine, and alot of money was spent on it back then. He calls me early sunday morning. He was still home they should have been at E-Town going through tech. It was a rescue cry for help.

I get there and this is what I saw. #1 Cylinder was completely gone from the engine block. The Brooks Aluminum Rod was broken at the big end pin, and was still connected to the crank pin. there was scharpmel all over the place. There was no way to diagnose this in the car.

They took it out and I got back there monday. I never so destruction like this before, to actually blow one cylinder completely from the engine block. I took pictures and took the engine to a friend who is a metalurgist.

Here is what he found. A tiny hair line crack on the inside of the cylinder block casting in the water jacket area at the base nearer the thrust side of the block. I didn't know this at the time. The driver neglected to turn the cooling fan on. So the engine only having water in it over-heated and the water turned to STEAM INSTANTLY.

STEAM creates a great amount of pressure. That pressure found that minut hair line crack in the casting (That was there from the time the block was cast). That destroyed the block. It was something you had to see.  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 10/03/12 02:08 AM

ineresting information.  a 2 year old post but still informative.       Bob, its funny you mention the high frequency.   i worked in a shop many years ago and screwed-up every computer in the office by turning the high frequency intensity past 30 percent on a syncrowave welder.   and the welder was at least 30-40 feet away from the office!   im told copper flashing in the walls will prevent this, IDK?        i was also told from my local machine shop that magnafluxing is getting to be a thing of the past.  its all ultrasonic now.  IDK?   magnafluxing makes sense to me though.   anybody with more insight/opinions?   can you magnaflux aluminum parts?  

pepsi1
Posted: 10/03/12 02:52 AM

Joe:

It's amazing what we can't see. All that RF around us and we can't see it until your computer screen goes crazy.

I had a customer that manufactured the porcelin tubes that high tension power lines go through. They then try to make them explode as if getting hit by lightning. Well they purchsed 6 new CPU from us. I did te installation when done the correct way takes 8 hours, waiting for each test to stabilize before going to the next step.

They called me and said the Monitors or Screens were showing different types of syn waves. I said what the heck are they talking about. Joe I walked into the room where they cycle testing these porcelin tubes. You could actually feel the magnetic pull,tension,whatever I mean why shouldn't the Monitor or Screens be going crazy. They were hitting these tubes with 1,000,000,000 volts. I don't know what the amps were, but thats neither here nor there.

They had to build a booth that would hold all 6 of those units. So the test was on. They had to line a closet type box with lead bricks. We used the lead bricks when we had Radio Active Isotopes usually iodine? (There were others) more dangerous. Those are the same lead bars they use in NASCAR Racing. They are the size of a real brick... The box was so heavy it had to stay where they built it. It's just the point that we are getting hit with so much RF we can feel it...LOL...

Bob  

pepsi1
Posted: 10/03/12 03:16 AM

These are only examples so please don't shoot the messanger!

Now a 10lb. Radiator cap will raise the boiling point of coolant to 242* ***

For every one pound of pressure increase in a radiator cap you raise the boiling point 3*F.

Boiling point of water in degrees farenheit is 212* of pure water at sea level.

Boiling point of water in F* 212* at standard atmospheric pressure.

Boiling point of Ethanol in F* is 173.12.

So judging by the extreme pressures of steam, it's not hard to see why it found that minut crack inside the water jacket where the pressure should be no more then 16lbs.PSI.

I know it's hard to take when you bring your heads in to be cleaned and pressure tested and sonic tested. Then to find out that one head is NO GOOD...How would you feel about that?

Bob  

TO TOP