Ad Radar
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Large Journal crank in a small journal 327

lsmircic
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/17/10 10:03 PM

I have a question.  I found in my parents back yard a 1964-1967 chevy 327 sm journal block complete with double hump heads and crank (forged if the ID sheets are right) Since I have this block I was thinking about fixing it up and putting it into my '65 Impala SS (replaces the tired 283).  Question I have is...  Can you use a large journal 350 crank in a small journal 327? I am wanting to make it a stroker.  I found a kit from a company that makes a 3.750" stroke small journal crank kit, but I was wondering if there was a way to just get something off the shelf to do this.

Cheers,
Lee  

ethelkilledfred-#001
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/18/10 03:21 AM

You can have the large journals turn down to small journal and make it fit, but it's expensive. It's cheaper to buy a stroker crank with the right journals size.  
-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

chevman24
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 04/18/10 06:18 AM

If the 327 has been sitting that long wouldnt it need machining anyways? Does it turn over? If you want to know if your crank is forged, it probobly is because I have the same engine and my crank was, just tap the crank with a hammer. If it rings like a bell its forged if not its cast.
Have the block line honed for the large journals. For better info and a more thourough understanding read this book,"Small Block Chevy Performance," by Dave Emanual. It has alot of info that may help you.  

lsmircic
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/18/10 08:09 AM

Ok so just have them enlarge the areas on the block.  That wont remove to much material or change anything critical (like oiling holes and what not)?  Then it would be just like a 350, since a 327 is just a destroked 350?  Would 350 mains bolt up?  

tuffnuff
Posted: 04/18/10 08:25 AM

No,,,
Your getting ahead of your plan. You don't enlarge the main bores on the block,,,
You turn the crank down to fit the small main bores of the block.
Has it occurred to you that your 327 block might be nothing more than a big lump of rust, that you may not even be able to take apart,,, because of rust and corrosion.
Also,,, your lifter bores might be so badly pitted that you might need to sleeve them with specialty machined tobans bronze sleeves.
Are you prepared to throw $10,000 dollars at this "build" to prove that you can build a 350 out of a 327.
It's been my personal experience to leave old antique engines alone,,, if they've been sitting around for some 50 odd years.
The last year for 327's was 1967,,, you go figger.
Good luck building your new 350 block.
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

lsmircic
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/18/10 08:48 AM

If it was a pile of rust I would not be bothering.  I have the engine on a stand and I am currently working on tearing it down.  It has a lot of surface rust but that is all I can find.  The block was sitting on some wood under a huge grapefruit tree so it was more or less protected from rain.  And before that it was in some dudes garage until the 90's when my father acquired it, that guy was going to put it into his camaro.  Heck the oil pan still has all the paint on it with no bubbling!  Now my dad's other 283 block I found back there was another story, oil pan rusted through pistons corroded with holes straight through them!

This build is not to "prove" anything.  Was just curious if things could be made simpler.  If the block was capable of having this stuff done. Most parts interchange anyhow, but it would just make it that much easier.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 04/18/10 08:56 AM

Then you're in luck,,, keep it as a 327 and it will have value. 327's are a great engine and can hold their own against a lot of 350's out there.
Just rebuild it and enjoy the hi-revving little mouse.
Just my opinion, and if you want a 350, simply buy one and do it up.
Much cheaper in the long run, honest.
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

lsmircic
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/18/10 09:02 AM

Or just take the '69 383 mopar block I have and put that in there Tongue  braces for hate spam!  

tuffnuff
Posted: 04/18/10 09:10 AM

Nope,,, you can pull great power out of Mopars,,, but be prepared for a costly build.
Your 327 is still the best card in your hand,,, don't be afraid to use it.
You'll be well pleased you did, when done.
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

1985olds
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 04/23/10 10:06 AM

If this is for the street, you will enjoy your 327 a lot. i have a built 327, and the wngine revs to 6000 rpm no problem, it still feels like it hasnt peaked out on power. i have mine in an 85 cutlass and it pulls great. stick with the 327's  

lsmircic
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/28/10 08:50 PM

I am working on the build now.  Sadly one of the spring seats (the part where the valve stem goes through and it goes through the middle of the spring. shattered Frown  so rebuilding my double hump stock heads have hit a snag.  Can you cheaply repair those or would I be better off just picking up a set of Edelbrock Performer heads?  I am already at 700$ for the rebuild on the heads. I would like to rebuild them than spend 1400$ for new ones.  
Was going to get Lunati Voodoo 1.6" rocker arms w/ dual springs, Milodon Valves, and Lunati pushrods.
Cheers,
Lee  

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/28/10 09:42 PM

Fixing one broken valve guide insert shouldn't be very costly, if thats all thats wrong. Ask your machinist.  
idrivejunk

tuffnuff
Posted: 04/28/10 09:45 PM

The part that shattered is called a guide boss,,,
Repairing the boss is possible with an insert, but a machine shop would need a look at that damaged head.
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

lsmircic
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/28/10 10:06 PM

Ok, will take it to NAPA in the morning and have them look at it.

It shattered in such a way that 1/3 of it is actually bent away
The upper narrow part
          | |
          | |
         /   \
_________________________________ <- head  

tuffnuff
Posted: 04/28/10 10:17 PM

How, exactly did that happen,,, The machine shop would be the guy to say yay or nay to that repair. If only 1/3 is bent away, it may be salvageable for a moderate lift cam,,, Best of luck bud,,,
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

123 Last
TO TOP