Ad Radar
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Is it a cracked head.

jpatt87
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 04/11/10 01:27 PM

Well i have been posting on here fixing problems about my new motor then my convertor problems then my rear end gear, you guys have been alot of help. I think my car may be parked for a while, I have been having water coning out my drivers side muffler and i thought it was condinsation. Now it has worked its way through my heasder gasket on the drivers side and spraying on my fender. The car is not over heating or anything but the header pipe for number 5 cylinder is not getting hot like the others. And by rad is loosing water so is that head cracked. My pass has a lil water coming out of it as well but just through the gasket, not the muffler and all those header pipes are really hat so they are firing.If the head is cracked then wouldnt the car get hot.  

redneckjoe69
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/11/10 02:28 PM

pressure test the coolant system.  find the exact location of your leak.  go from there.    could be something simple. whats the plugs look like?  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 04/11/10 02:53 PM

Yep could be Intake gaskets,head gaskets or a crack.
Whats the oil look like?  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

jpatt87
Posted: 04/11/10 02:54 PM

Well they are not white thand not black kinda in between. I was just told that my rad could be going low cause i am runing straite water and it could be evapurating is that true. What about number 5 not getting hot. I hope it is not cracked that would be the end of my car for now. And would it be over heating. It stays about 190-195 at idle and 180 down the road.   Oh and the oil is good. I also have a puddle of water in the intake if i pull the carb off.  

WRIGHTRACING
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 04/11/10 06:02 PM

Puddle of water in the intake valley???????? Sounds as if the thermostat housing is busted and leaking...What heads and intake is on the motor???  
WRIGHTRACING

www.outlawracing.com
www.dragraceplace.com
www.ndrra.com

jpatt87
Posted: 04/11/10 10:24 PM

Torker 2 intake, double hump heads. I just did a pressure test and pumped it to 15 pounds and it leaked down a little so what does that say. Is there any way it is an intake gasket or maybe your right and the thermostat housing is busted but would i loose pressure on the guage if that was the problem. I really dont want to pull those heads back off so what would you guys make of this.

Puddle of water in intake, that could be whats going out exhast, could it be busted housing.

Car not getting hot at all, so i wouldnt think the head would be cracked or the gasket is bad.  

idrivejunk
Posted: 04/12/10 03:51 AM

The idea behind pressure testing is to be able to SEE the leak when you have pressure applied. Test it with the carb off and see how coolant is getting into your intake runners. I'm not sure its even possible for the intake to bust and let that happen. Maybe pull that one header and look for coolant in the ports, under pressure. Really does sound to me like a head cracked between a water jacket and at least one intake or exhaust port, or both. I know thats not what you wanna hear. Hope thats not it! Laugh  
idrivejunk

redneckjoe69
Posted: 04/12/10 04:08 AM

+1.  

tuffnuff
Posted: 04/12/10 04:31 AM

+2
IF,,, it were #1 or #2 cylinders, then a gasket leak is possible at the coolant drossover,,, but #5 cylinder not getting hot like the others sounds like a gasket, or head problem.
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

55Guy
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 04/12/10 05:56 AM

One possibility, you could have a bad intake casting that has a flaw in the thermostat housing or coolant crossover area.

If the engine isn't building heat, that sounds like coolant is flowing freely through the block with no restriction, keeping the engine below operating temp.

Definitely follow the suggestion above, with the carb off, pressure test the system, and see if you get water in the intake. Since no water is getting in the oil, I'm less likely to believe the intake gasket is the source of your problem. usually when an intake manifold gasket goes bad, you end up with water dripping down the front/back of the block, or in the oil.  

jpatt87
Posted: 04/12/10 07:28 AM

Ok i did another pressure test with the carb off. I could hear water bubbleing. I looked and seen water bubbling in the intake port that is on the back of the intake, on the drivers side right under the carb stud on a torker 2 intake. Then on the pass side of the back the was water laying in that port under that sides stud. But not bubbling. So its all coming from the back of the intake. I just checked my oil again and now there is water in it. So could it just be an intake leak or does it still sound bad. The pressure pushed no water out my header gaskets like when the car is running, so maybe when that water comes up through the busted gasket it is being suck out the exhast.?????????  

ethelkilledfred-#001
Posted: 04/12/10 07:50 AM

When I have dealt with cracks, cracks usually seep slowly and gaskets and freeze plugs failure usually pour out more liquid. Check your intake bolts and see it they are loose.  
-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

jpatt87
Posted: 04/12/10 07:52 AM

Pulled number 5 plug out and there is water on it, so thats bad right.  

Pontiacman2
Posted: 04/12/10 08:03 AM

Yep bad
I would check the intake and head bolts for tightness if tight then I would pull the intake and inspect the gaskets and gasket mounting surfaces.
and go from there.

Did you have those heads surfaced?  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

jpatt87
Posted: 04/12/10 08:40 AM

I pulled all the plugs out and like all but 2 or 3 had water on them. Only on plug looked good. I pulled the intake off and all the intake and exhast ports on the heads were plum full of water except one set. The intake gaskets had water all over them. Sp if it were you what would you do.  

123 Last
TO TOP