Item Posts    Sort Order

installing new stero system with 10 disc cd changer

malbern
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/04/10 09:31 AM

Hi I purchased a radio and 10 disc. cd changer for my 1967 impala ss convertible. I have it installed and the radio and tape work fine,I can not get the cd to work. It tells me in the instructions to reset the radio to initiate the 10 disc changer.I can not fine a reset button on the radio,can anyone help me out and tell me how to reset this radio? I tried to disconnect the battery and that did not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 x Chevy 10-Disc CD Changer, Custom Autosound, 1955-1972
1 x Chevy USA-5 Concours Stereo, Custom Autosound, 1967-1968
Confused
Malbern  

idrivejunk
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/04/10 05:24 PM

Sometimes the reset button is behind a removable faceplate. If you bought these components new, the manual or dealer should explain or at least tell where the reset button is, if there is one.  
idrivejunk

malbern
Posted: 04/05/10 03:43 AM

That my problem, I have the manual and no were does it show a reset button. I purchased this complete system from Custom Autosound mfg. I tried and contact them but they do not respond. It is a well known company and the radio was built for my car. I purchased it last year and just had a chance to install it this past week.
I was hoping that someone else might have had the same problem. In the manual of the ten disc. changer it that came with the radio, it says to press the reset button on the radio to engage the cd changer to the radio. In the radio manual there is no reset button mentioned.
thanks for the reply.
Malbern  

Mikes79
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 04/06/10 05:32 PM

Also recheck the manual for your CD changer.  How do you have it mounted?  Is it vertical or horizontal?  Some require you to turn an adjustment on the backside of the changer depending on the mounting angle.  

malbern
Posted: 04/07/10 06:57 AM

Thanks for the reply, I have it mounted on a 45 angel and I set the settings on the changer to 45. The only thing that I can't fine is the reset on the radio. In the manual for the radio there is no mention of a reset button,yet in the manual for the changer it says to press the reset button on the radio to communicate with ten disc changer.The changer and the radio are a match set for my car. Like I said before the company is no help and I purchased this new from them (Custom autosound mfg.) I got this early last year and just installed it now.There is only one cable from the radio to the changer so it is not possible to hook it up the wrong way. The radio and tape work ok, when I press the cd button on the radio I can hear the changer doing something then it jumps back to the radio. I have ten new Cd's in the changer and they are all put in with the labels face down like it says in the instructions.I guess I will have to take it all out again and bring it somewhere to have it tested.  

Mikes79
Posted: 04/07/10 09:12 AM

What brand name is the radio (i.e. Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.)?  Also what is the model number?  We, or your local installation shop, could probably research it for ya.  With most brand name radios there's a 1-year manufacturer's warranty.  You could always mail it back to them for repairs with a copy of your receipt.  By "them" I mean Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.  NOT Custom Autosound Mfg where you bought it.  

malbern
Posted: 04/07/10 11:40 AM

This system was custom made for my 1967 impala ss convertible. If you check there site you will see that they make the systems to order. The company is custom autosound mfg. I don't know were they get there parts from. They are a well known company with year one and the rest of the major parts supply.  

WRIGHTRACING
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 04/09/10 06:39 AM

Shouldn't there be an aux. setting instead of cd. All external hookups to most cdplayers I've ever owned us them as an aux. hookup. Other than that, all my music is now digital, got a new Sony CD player for christmas, and it has a USB port in the front, so you can hookup an iPod, or just plug in a memory stick. Music never skips, gets lost, and don't have cd's stretched from here to newyork...  
WRIGHTRACING

www.outlawracing.com
www.dragraceplace.com
www.ndrra.com

Mikes79
Posted: 04/10/10 08:38 PM

+1 I always use my iPod now...much more convienient.  

chevelle83
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 04/10/10 08:55 PM

I did purchase a brand new radio from custom autosound and the darn thing was defective!! one of the speaker channels had no sound output. so I sent the thing back.  I wonder if it is bad?  cause There is only one way to hook it up, are you absolutely sure that your radio is the correct part number to work with the changer??  

Mikes79
Posted: 04/12/10 11:19 AM

Well, I have no experience with "Custom Autosound" so I'm out.  Sorry I couldn't help.  

malbern
Posted: 04/18/10 04:02 PM

Hi ,I'm starting to think it is defective. There is only one way to hook it up,the radio and tape work just fine. When I press the cd button on the radio I can hear the changer doing something. Then after about ten seconds it jumps back to the radio. I want to see if I can get another cable to try,maybe there is a short in the cable.  

TO TOP