Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Straight 6 turbo?

75_k20
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 11/17/09 01:56 PM

Im looking for information on building an inline 6 cyl. performance engine. I want to build something "outside the box" to put in my 1985 c-10 street truck, something other than a typ. v-8 (nothing against em, just want something different). Was thinking about a 292 straight 6 with a turbo. Any thoughts?  

zman123
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 11/17/09 02:34 PM

Wrecking yard, turbo set up from one of many cars with similar Cubic Inches. Who knows? You may just have something there. Lots of room for the plumbing associated with a turbo. Good luck.  

zman123
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 11/17/09 02:35 PM

Oh yeah, take LOTS of pictures of how the turbo is set up BEFORE yanking it out.  

Dave632
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 11/17/09 02:42 PM

GM came out with a straight 6 , vortec 4200ohc, in 2002 that has great performance potential, great head design with good flow characteristics, rated at 270hp. Check the boneyard out for Blazer or GMC trucks of 2002 and later. The motor is still made currently and the rating is up to 291hp.
The 292 is an ancient engine design that dates back to the 30s. It can be made to run but it's like starting with your feet tied together. I remember some guys running those motors back in the 60s and they had severe vibration troubles due to harmonics or whatever. One guy was able to get his to run in the 11s, 1/4 mile, but he had trouble keeping the flywheel on because the bolts would loosen up, finally wire tied them to keep it together. I imagine someone has solved that problem by now buy who wants the headache.
If I wanted to suprise a few V-8 owners the 4200 is the one I would look for, with a turbo you could easily look at 500+ hp. The old 292 would fly into pieces trying to make that kind of power.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

75_k20
Posted: 11/18/09 08:25 AM

I already have a straight 6 out of an '83 K20 truck that I think is a 292. I've been told that the stock internals are well set up for a turbo (cam grind, compression ratio, ect..), but I've never built a turbo motor, so I'm flying blind.  

bobwilcox1
Posted: 01/18/13 10:12 PM

I checked the compression on a school bus engine-292-It ran 174 psi straight across, so I pulled the motor and took it home and put it in an old chevelle.  I had to make a new right side motor mount.  There was already an electric fuel pump on the chevelle.  I blocked off the old one and stuck an inline filter in it, o/h the orig 2 bbl stuck on a 99dodge turbo that I had acquired when i was working at Dodge.  I user part of the bus down pipe and a stainless flex pipi from a diesel, made a mounting bracket which i welded to the lt sid motor mount bracket.  I can't remember what I did to the pcv system, but i had to modify it.  I hooked up the vacuum to the waste gate.  I put a pop-off valve on the tubing from the compresser to the carb.  The next thing I did was to install a hei dist. I fired it up with the turbo pipe off of the carb,set the timing, adjusted the carb[i HAD DRILLED THE CAARB BASE AND PRESSUREIZED THE THROTTLE SHAFT hole and opened up the jets with welding tip cleaners--I didn't have any drills small enough.  The next thing I did wasburn the tires off the back all the way to the filing station for gas.  Now, 60,000miles later my boy drives it on a daily basis, and it will eat a small block, within reason.  It didn't blow apart like the The previous post said.  Hell it's got seven main bearings.  Enough bottom end for anything.  

76Skylark
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 01/19/13 02:03 AM

[So 4 years later you Still Haven't seen the Vidieo Next to your Post.you asked this on CarCraft in 09. SPA turbo(Brazil) exhaust manifold,Clifford Intake. this feels like a set-up Guys. Google; straight 6 turbo and there is your post and under that a DIY with the Deal sitting on a dyno. computers Suck don't they  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 01/19/13 04:44 AM

i thought this post looked familiar.    nice catch Skylark.  

Dave632
Posted: 01/19/13 05:48 AM

Why use ancient technology anyway. Those old Chevy GMC motors were slow. I had old Chevy straight 6 motors and they were at best pigs vs even the smallest stock Chevy V8.
The old flathead V8 was once the king of the road now it is ancient history.
Why waste your money on a project that is doomed to go slow from the start.
You can put a blower on a flathead V8 or a straight 6 and get 200 hp.
If I was going for something different that 4200 would be the way I would go.
I bet you could hit 5 or 600hp with a mild turbo setup on one of those. It would take 2 of those old dog motors to do that.  

waynep71222
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 01/19/13 07:10 AM

a few articles

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1108_turbocharged_vortec_inline_six/

with the chevy 292.. you will need something like this..

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/spa-turbo-usa/turbo-manifolds/chevy/chevy-6-cyl-turbo-manifold-t4  

Dave632
Posted: 01/19/13 06:07 PM

470hp with only 8psi boost and limiting rpm to 5800, sounds like a winner to me.  

TO TOP