Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

94 350 chev upper radiator hose collapses when the motor revs

jake3232
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/20/09 04:37 PM

I replaced the water pump/intake manifold/thermostat and radiator after assembly I noticed the engine temp was up to 213 . The thermostat range is 195-200.The top hose should be full of water but it seems soft even when the engine is 13 degrees above the temp range for the thermostat.When you rev the engine the top hose looks like it is being sucked and partially collapses .there are no leaks the motor just runs a little warm,heat works,any suggestions would be helpful.  

supersport66
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/20/09 06:26 PM

Sounds like you have a ccw water pump for serpintine belt when you need a cw pump for v belt  

tuffnuff
Posted: 12/20/09 07:48 PM

66 might have a point,,,
the bottom hose should be collapsing (factory has wire coil in bottom hose), not the top.
Sounds like you need a different pump.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

rstratton67
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/20/09 10:15 PM

+1  

waynep7122
I mow my lawn and find Chevys
Posted: 12/21/09 09:29 AM

change the radiator cap....

i bet that when you take it off.. and shake the cap... the brass disc in the middle of the rubber seal dangles...

find a cap that has the dime sized disc spring loaded against the rubber seal....

those caps only allow pressure to build when coolant splashes them..   you have no pressure in your system... so the upper hose goes flat do to suction from the pump..  it has to have pressure...

warning...   before you do this... watch the bottom hose.. see if it goes flat also...  bet it does...

replace both top and bottom hoses...  going flat breaks the reinforcing fibers...  the hoses then will have a really short life...

most heater hoses are not effected... they are behind the pump....    this problem is only from the pump inlet to the thermostat...      only instance i would think twice about it on an application .. that has the heater hose directly to the radiator tank..

best of luck... be sure to post what you find...

you might also want to pressure test your cooling system to 7 psi ... but no more... on a tester.. and keep an eye on it for the next few weeks...    i bet your cooling system has not had any proper pressure for a while... and things may go wrong when you fix it...    hoses that are not exposed to normal pressure.. but heat cycled.. won't like the new pressure....

one more thing....  there is a possibility of the incorrect water pump....   is your water pump pulley smooth faced and the back of the belt rides on the pulley????    or does it have tiny grooves and rides on the front of grooved side of the pulley..

if you post the year , make . model and 8th digit of the vin..  people can look it up... i might post some pictures of the water pump... i have a water pump catalog.. so i can look up the casting number off it.. and cross reference it..

did the replacement water pump have additional places to put plugs?????  that the original did not..????

that year .. depending on the model.. might even have a screw on fan clutch..  that would require the proper pump..

cap first.. thats easy..  

tuffnuff
Posted: 12/21/09 10:03 AM

Wayne,,,
I like your posts, and your no nonsense, logical approach.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

gettnlarge01
Posted: 12/21/09 07:06 PM

detailed and understandable info  
luck is when skill and opportunity meet

mpayne
Posted: 12/22/09 01:46 PM

+1  

jake3232
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/22/09 09:31 PM

Thanks! guys I'll try the radiator cap first and see if that bumps up the pressure up enough to solve the problem.  

TO TOP