Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

1988 Chevy 350 TBI upgrades

ryerye76
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/02/09 10:03 PM

Swapped the stock engine in my 88 Chevy 2500 for an engine I had built for a Nova. It's my work truck so I needed to use the modified engine.The truck has the stock TBI and I am having trouble with the timing and idle. Been reading up on this and I've read something about having a chip burned or something after the truck is dyno'd? A guy I know who owns a wrecking yard said I might need bigger injectors? Want to keep the TBI but am willing to go to a carb. Just want the truck to run good because I'm a contractor and need it to be reliable. Buying a new truck is not in the equation because work right now is not exactly bustling! Any help is appreciated!  

chevman24
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/03/09 08:01 AM

More info about the engine is needed. Is the engine throwing any codes? How built is the motor you swapped in your truck?  Engine size, is it a stroker? What cam did you use? There are alot of variables that need to be addressed for a ballpark figure of where you need to be.  

ryerye76
Posted: 12/03/09 12:10 PM

No codes not sure about the cam but its bigger than an RV cam and bored out 60 over with flat top high compression pistons. I run premium high octane gas. My cousin built the motor a few yrs ago. Not a stroker.  

chevman24
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/03/09 02:06 PM

You need a chip for the computer to work with the cam. For that you will need the cam card. It has all the duration, lift numbers for the camshaft. burning a chip would be hard to do without it, if not impossible. Unless you want to re-measure the lift of the cam.  

ryerye76
Posted: 12/03/09 10:09 PM

How would I get a cam card? My cousin built the engine and he cant remember the type of cam, it's been about 5 yrs.  

chevman24
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 12/04/09 01:28 PM

You have to know what camshaft you have(brand and model number). If you got the model number off of the cam and called the manufacturer they would be able to re-issue a new cam card.
Sounds like your best bet is to buy a new cam if you stick with the TBI. Im just guessing but the cam chosen initially is probobly designed for a lighter car, not a truck that needs torque.
Even going with a carb having the lift and duration numbers are important when choosing the correct carb.  

TO TOP